Wilson's Irish High Toast No 22

This was one of the snuffs I bought in my very first ever snuff order a couple of years ago – right before PACT went into effect in fact. Man, when I tried it the first time it nearly blew my eyes off my head! Crimeny, it hurt and made me cry like a baby, but … it did taste good when all the pain went away. :slight_smile: But ever since I haven’t really used it much. Lately though I’ve had a tin of Toque Whisky & Honey open on my desk, and really starting to enjoy the toasts. So this morning I dug out that older tin of No 22 and gave it a try again. Oh! What a wonderful smokey, full, flavor it has. I love the stuff, as I always knew I would; just had to get enough experience under my belt to appreciate it. Good stuff! Anyone else have any similar stories? Any other fans of No 22?

I love 22 as well. Just love it. This was the stuff that persuaded me there was something really special about snuff. (No mean feat given that it is still the most difficult for me to take, and I almost invariably at least get a bit in the back of my throat.) The only other toast I’ve tried is the F&T version, and it pales in my opinion. Indeed, 22 is the only snuff that I’ve bought in bulk. Which turned out to be a tremendously frustrating experience actually. I don’t know what it was that I was sent, but it was more of a rusty colour than the usual gold. Indeed, it even tasted slightly rusty. Not unpleasantly so I should add, but 1) it wasn’t what I wanted and 2) the rustiness, with prolonged use, took on a kind of fishy taste. Fishy isn’t quite right, but that’s the closest comparison I can make. I still have the tub, but I rarely touch it. I don’t know what went wrong, but you can imagine my disappointment when, thinking I had a huge supply of the best snuff I knew of, I discovered I had a huge supply of something else. Add the rusty/fishy thing and sadness turned to something nearing despair. It was a very trying time for me and I don’t know that I ever entirely recovered from it.

Wow @Screwtape, now that’s a bummer. I had a similar experience buying Gawith Vanilla in bulk; when it came, it just wasn’t the same snuff as the little tapper I’d fallen in love with. It’s okay, but just not what I was hoping for. I bet others have had similar experiences. Snuff making is difficult, and probably at least some variation from one batch to the next is normal. But not that much!

Tubs are incredibly fresh, have you tried decanting some into a snuffbox and letting it air out for a few hours or even a few days, you may find that you actually prefer it stale and if you first tried it from a tapbox it was most likely stale when you tried it.

1 Like

No, I don’t think that’s it. Airing it doesn’t seem to make any difference to the taste, or the colour. I’ve never had 22 from a tapbox (Wilsons doesn’t use them I don’t think), just from the tins. I used to order them direct from Wilsons, so they should’ve been pretty darn fresh, and the tins were always taped shut. The thought has occurred to me though, and I will admit that there are some snuffs that I actually prefer stale. But that’s a subject for another thread.

Irish high toast No. 22 is the only toast I’ve tried so far and it definitely makes me want to try more.I want to try all of Wilson’s flavors before I die anyway but I definetely look forward to their other toasts the most. I love having toast 22 for breakfast

It wasn’t Tintin in the Congo was it, Vathek?

I posted to old OT ‘what are you reading’ thread about Tintin but it seems to be invisible so no comments there. I’m reading through the whole lot umpteenth time and enjoying them more than ever. I got a mix of UK and French editions from International Bookshop here in Dublin. My favourites are Blue Lotus, Secret of Unicorn/Treasure of Red Rackham and Red Sea Sharks. Might go to see the film, but have bad feelings about it, the Guardian had four(!) articles bashing it. And of course, Wilsons #22 is my favourite snuff and regular bulk buy directly from the mill.

yeah but you can’t trust movie reviews. They don’t really work. If watch a good movie not when your in the mood but when you have to cause it’s your job. Then you have to think about your job when you tell people your opinions of it. My point being there are some fatal flaws in the movie review system.

IHT 22 Is going to be my first bulk order, I love the stuff!

@bob Tintin is sacred thing for some people like me but you’re right about the film reviews though.

never really got Tintin. Though I always dug the amount of smoking going on in the pictures. :slight_smile:

Yellow-cake uranium if you ask me. Fantastic scent and nice nicotine hit, messy if you’re not careful but it’s worth every spilled…something which rhymes.

Speaking of that… how DO you get into the small WOS tins. I’ve got my first order of Irish HT 22 and I can’t get into it, lol. Didn’t know if it was a screw off or if it just pops off. Any tips? I worked on it for about 15 minutes. I hope that is a good sign of freshness.

You’re not shouting at it loud enough :stuck_out_tongue: It’s just a push on top, but a twisting action normally helps. Just be carefull as the stubborn ones can decide to open just as you lose grip on one or both parts of the tin :))

Speaking of that… how DO you get into the small WOS tins. I’ve got my first order of Irish HT 22 and I can’t get into it, lol. Didn’t know if it was a screw off or if it just pops off. Any tips? I worked on it for about 15 minutes. I hope that is a good sign of freshness.

squeeze the lid at different positions working your way around it and it pops up.

Why snuffstore.co.uk doesn’t carry Irish 22 anymore?

Does anybody know anything?

@tobaccobob it could be that they’re updating their website. Mr. Snuff updated about a week ago, and most of their snus selection disappeared for a couple of days.

@tobaccobob, quite a common issue. They do have Irish No.22 in the warehouse and it’s in stock at mrsnuff.com (https://mrsnuff.com/wilsons-irish-p-2277.html), but for some reason not listed at snuffstore.co.uk.

I wonder if it’s a deliberate move, or just a negligence…

1 Like

Thanks guys for your answers!

@SammyD13 I wish you were right but this is happening some months now(as @volunge said the stock exists in the warehouse but not at the site)

I sent them a message and wait…