SWS Moro Moro vs. De Kralingse Mississippi

I just got a 100g tub of De Kralingse Mississippi and was surprised that it seemed very similar to Sir Walter Scotts Moro Moro. Has anyone else tried these and found them to be alike? I love the Moro Moro and the nic hit really knocks me on my ass. It’s just I can get 100g of Mississippi for about the same price of a 15g of Moro. I still haven’t been able to tell if the Mississippi has as high of a nicotine content just because I’ve been snuffing all kinds of snuff all day. :relaxed:

I like them both but haven’t thought to compare them. Sounds like a worthwhile project though.

Not very similar to me. Mississippi has a predominant Liquorice aroma whilst Moro Moro has lighter sweet notes from bergomot. They both have a Virginia tobacco in the mix, I know the Moro Moro uses bright leaf Virginia, not sure what kind is used for the Mississippi.

Yeah, it said licorice in the description, but I can’t detect any. Both are great though.

Ok, I figured it out. It’s the Rustica Tobacco in the Moro Moro that Kicks me hard-core. What a hit, whew. I did finally get the licorice in the Mississippi from the drip. Sir Walter Scott sure knows how to mix up the snuff. 100% Artisan! I also have the Havana Toast, Mull of Oa and Crème de Figue… all outstanding! I’m excited because I have more De Kralinse on order and have gone with the more classic recipes. I love that they make them with windmills!

1 Like

I think you might mean Molens de K’s Macuba is similar to Moro Moro because as earlier noted Mississippi is licorice-ish whereas Macuba is rose oil, cognac and a citrusy/fresh/herbal scent.

1 Like

I think you might mean Molens de K’s Macuba is similar to Moro Moro because as earlier noted Mississippi is licorice-ish whereas Macuba is rose oil, cognac and a citrusy/fresh/herbal scent.

I don’t think Moro Moro has any rose oil in it?!? De Kralingse Macuba is strange, I have some and it’s nothing like Moro Moro or any other Rose or Macuba I’ve had.

1 Like

@XkotToxsik You are right I checked the flavouring aromas on Mr. Snuff and it says Moro-Moro is blood orange liquor, angelica plus herbs no rose.

I’ve goofed around with Angelica in the kitchen; leaves, stems, roots and flowers. Interesting herb. Flavor and aroma remind of celery and anise, or fennel bulb. Great on fish, and sounds like a damn fine partner with Moro Orange essential oil or liqueur like Sicilian Solerno. Maybe a bit like Benedictine or Green Chartreuse liqueur?? Makes F&T Seville seem like Neroli scented compost.

I tested my Mississippi and Hermbstedt’s Brasil with Kashubian Sauce against my Mettaijer last night and again first thing this morning with a sniff of steam from assam gold rain tea and a small pinch of Gawith Hoggarth SP in between to clear out the scents from the Molens in between.  My nose finds that they all have a similar malt vinegar component to them(similar to 99% of McClellands pipe tobaccos).  I do not pick up licorice in Mississipi, maybe a faint fennel though.

Thank you all for your remarks.

Smelling/Tasting snuff seems an art in itself.

And the human nose is a wonderful strange apparatus

Jaap Bes.

2 Likes

I have tried them both, and I prefer the Mississippi due to the fantastic back drip of liquorice! The Moro Moro was great too, but I prefer the Molen’s.