Samuel Gawith Afterglow

I ordered this with my first batch from Mr. Snuff. I like the scent of it (musky, woodsy) but I’m too new to snuff to know if it is spoiled. I know there are coarse snuffs, but this one seems too much so. Is it meant to be this coarsely ground and is simply too dry? What do all of you think? Has anyone else tried this?

I’ve found this to be a nice peppermint snuff, and not to over powering on the pep. On Sam’s website he says it’s moist, coarse to medium. But I found some batches are fine. @ DPadraig, your attached photo shows it like hand rolling tobacco. Can you try tipping some out on a clean sheet of white paper and taking the photograph again? But your comment about the taste:- “musky, woodsy”: I fear it is old stock.

There is certainly a peppermint-like flavor, but it is very faint. I think more of the tobacco flavor has come through as the peppermint has faded. It is indeed similar to rolling tobacco, albeit perhaps a bit finer. Not sure if this picture is any better. I’m thinking I should send it back…

it still don’t look like snuff to me, it’s you options.

SG in tap boxes means dry snuff. Afterglow should be close to Kendal Brown in moisture content. I’ve found it does take to rehydration.

We are talking about a tap box snuff here, right? If so then that will answer your question in full.

Xander, Juxtposer. You may be on the right track, I’ve only had this in the 10g tins before the sneeze boxes where introduced.

You might try rehydrating with a drop or two of water mixed into the snuff. But once you take it out of its box you won’t be able to return it, if your vendor is supportive of that to begin with.

I am rehydrating it as we speak, with one of the metal/clay button humidifiers. I took a pinch after a few hours and it is much better. Well on its way to being enjoyable again, I think. The peppermint that @SnuffHead mentioned as primary seems to have returned. Thank you, gentlemen, for your helpful comments.

Have I committed a taboo? After allowing the Afterglow to rehydrate overnight, and after trying a few pinches every time I went into the study, I determined that, even hydrated, it was still quite coarse. So much so that it won’t seem to stay in my nose. I have read of this phenomenon with other coarse snuffs, and have experienced it with my more coarse moist snuffs, e.g., F&T Princes Special, but this is a different sort of coarse. Thus, I decided to drag out my mortar and pestle and rectify the problem. It’s wonderful now, much easier to take, and with the flavor maintained. Is this sort of behavior taboo? haha Compare with my previous photos:

If it works and you kike it, you did the right thing. Lets face it, the whole object is to enjoy the snuff.

That’s how I do it. I run it through a sieve too.

I’ve been using the bottle cap method that, I think, Xander posted. It works pretty darn good!

Its not taboo, I think you just turned it into Auld Sannick or one of SG’s other peppermint snuffs! I think they make 4 or 5 peppermint ones of varying textures/

I dare to suggest that the tap boxes used by SG are the worst containers I know. They are a pain to open; if the snuff is dry, it pours too fast; if it’s moist, it is reluctant to pour at first [but also soon loses its moisture]. A shame, since SG are capable of making some real gems in the snuff world - for a long time they were the mill of choice for the house recipes of G Smith & Sons in London; I believe they also make some of Snuff Store’s superb house blends [not least Golden Pinch, which SG themselves advised me is a good replacement for G Smith’s Golden Cardinal. It’s certainly a favourite on my desk! - also Snuff Store’s Café Noir [think Café Royale]]

I had a tap box of SG Raspberry and nothing would come out so I finally opened the box only to find that the snuff had dried into a solid brick so I crushed it up and put it into a smash box, sadly the snuff reminds me of cough syrup so its been sitting there ever since. Tap boxes are the worst thing to happen to snuff in human history!