New Member - Vallarfax - Introduction & Questions

Hello everyone, I have been a pipe smoker for about 8-9 months now and have enjoyed the hobby greatly. That is the extent of my experience with tobacco. I recently read about the resurgence of snuff, something I had only read about in old books. I found that snuff is difficult to acquire in the U.S. and that the website called, “MrSnuff.com” seems to be the go-to-place for it despite being abroad. I am an adventurous sort and I am comfortable with the thought of starting with more exotic and peppy snuffs. I have read quite a bit on here as a lurker and found that: 41 Photo White Elephant, Dholakia White, Wilsons Extra Menthol, and Hedges L260 have all caught my eye. I have also considered trying SG Firedance because it’s supposed to smell nice and last a while. Questions: 1. There seems to be a debate in regard to Dholakia White & 41 Photo White Elephant being the same thing. I understand that there can be discrepancies between batches of snuff, but are they the same? 2. Hedges L260 is often hailed as the strongest menthol snuff… According to the Wilsons of Sharrow site their strongest menthol is “Extra Menthol”. How do the two brands compare? 3. So snuff can go bad… Do I need to be concerned about how I store the names listed above? I intend to put them on my desk and occasionally fill a snuff box and posh bullet. 4. I have read about the various methods (pinch, back of hand, spoon, etc.). I intend to use a spoon most of the time. Does a pipe nail perform well for this? Or is a dedicated spoon more optimal? 5. I know that shipping costs from the U.K. can be expensive and that they go by weight. Is it safe to assume a $15-20 charge for a 250g order plus a posh bullet? 6. I see old threads with all these great sale offerings from Mr. Snuff (posh bullets, 50% off Dholakia snuffs, etc.). When do they run these types of deals?

Welcome to the forum, all your questions have been answered before but with snuff, as with pipe tobacco, personal prefernece dictates a lot. 1. They are made by different companies, also, not beginner snuffs, they may appear similar but will be very different. 2. Hedges is a good one, Wilson’s super menthol is their strongest menthol to me, extra menthol is stronger in nicotine but both pack a menthol punch. 3. Air tight jars are key from long term storage, I find filling my snuff box from a tin to be fine and the snuff is ok, but if you’re concerned, put it into a kilner jar then fill your snuff box when it’s empty. 4. Personal preference again, whatever works for you is what matters. I pinch my snuff but a pipe tamper is a good makeshift snuff spoon. If you always have one with you, why not use it. 5. On of our US members will be able to help you here, but you could do a test order I.e. Add whatever you want to your cart and go to the checkout and see what the shipping costs are. 6. Sign up to the mail list on Mr snuff and they will email you when deals are on. Their Facebook page is a good place and new deals are usually announced on here. Enjoy the site.

Thank you for the reply, Skell18.

Hello everyone, Questions: 1. There seems to be a debate in regard to Dholakia White & 41 Photo White Elephant being the same thing. I understand that there can be discrepancies between batches of snuff, but are they the same? Sorry, have not tried either yet. 2. Hedges L260 is often hailed as the strongest menthol snuff… According to the Wilsons of Sharrow site their strongest menthol is “Extra Menthol”. How do the two brands compare? I believe L260 to be the strongest straight mentholated snuff I have tried thus far, though Medicated 66 comes in close as does WoS Dynamite 3. So snuff can go bad… Do I need to be concerned about how I store the names listed above? I intend to put them on my desk and occasionally fill a snuff box and posh bullet. It can dry out if exposed to air and some can develop molds, but if you protect them from over exposure to light, heat and moisture, you should see they keep 4. I have read about the various methods (pinch, back of hand, spoon, etc.). I intend to use a spoon most of the time. Does a pipe nail perform well for this? Or is a dedicated spoon more optimal? This is all personal preference. I am a pinch guy 99% of the time unless I have a tap box, when I will boxcar 5. I know that shipping costs from the U.K. can be expensive and that they go by weight. Is it safe to assume a $15-20 charge for a 250g order plus a posh bullet? My snuff from Mr.Snuff and Toque go through US postal from the UK, and on average I pay about $20.00 S+h 6. I see old threads with all these great sale offerings from Mr. Snuff (posh bullets, 50% off Dholakia snuffs, etc.). When do they run these types of deals?

Deals run at different intervals- Mr. Snuff will usually post a note here and if your a registered user on the online store they will let you know . Hope this helps and welcome!!!

If you buy 250 grams at once, I would say, think about the storage a bit more. It depends on the tins you buy of course. 10 gram tins would be 25 tins. 25 gram tins makes 10. I find the 10 gram tins the most problematic. If you have only a pair of em, no problem, just use them up slowly, should not be a problem. 25 gram tins, and I would buy baby food jars or something like that. Definitely, if the tins are vacuum sealed, because after they’ve been opened, they are not airtight enough to keep your snuff in. Assuming a speed of 5 grams a day, makes 50 days. And IMHO 5 g/d is already a lot for a starter. So you are going to stick with them for a while. :slight_smile:

With regards to the two whites, they are a bit different, but, despite being made by completely different manufacturers, it’s pretty subtle. I find them pretty interchangeable. More difference between different batches than between different brands. Don’t believe this “not for beginners” stuff. I tried it very early on and loved it. Teaches you the importance of good technique.

Thank you for the responses everyone! JakartaBoy, that was exactly my thought. I do better with a hobby if I jump right in.

@Vallarfax Welcome Aboard !!! =D> =D> =D>

Thanks, Perique. :D/ >:D< :D/