Morocco

He was warning people that they should make there own

2 Likes

And for the tree ash he said it really should be Pistacia tree

2 Likes

Or Ziziphus spina roots

1 Like

And one single question can you make it without ash’s, like just aodium carbonate cause that’s the only thing available for me here is is it gonna be fine just tobacco and S.C , thanks

1 Like

Yes, start with 4% sodium carbonate, dissolved in 15% water. That is, 0.4 g sodium carbonate dissolved in 1.5 g water for 8.1 g tobacco flour. Stir very well for at least 5 minutes, place in a small airtight container and leave to rest for 3-4 days. If you have patience, for a week.

If it turns out too weak for your liking, add 5% carbonate next time. Make small 10 g batches at first to check if it’s ok for you. If you enjoy it, make larger amount.

Talking about the recipe in that video, is it 4 parts tobacco and 1 part ash by volume? And just a little bit of water?
Thank you for your help with the translation!

1 Like

Actual he was talking about spraying with water in that foal the more you rub the more you spray water like slowly , well that’s totally traditional and maybe it woth a try, for me i just use coffee mixer

3 Likes

Hello @Abdoulaye   ,  A warm welcome from India !

Please tell us something about the snuff & smokeless tobacco culture in Morocco 

3 Likes

Hello @sixphoto, i think all i know about it is that my grandfather and my father use it, well its quiet old they use it always in there hand and sniff it , snufftaking here are verry old i could remamber the smell off snuff my grand father was using really amazing

3 Likes

Sorry the picture qon’t upload to show you the box they always use intill now

2 Likes

Try now, @Abdoulaye. Picture upload works fine on this upgraded forum version.

1 Like

@volunge

2 Likes

@volunge and i want to ask you one other thing, how do you guys enjoy snuff always sometimes i feel i lost all its enjoyment and all what last is tobacco inside my nose without any benefits, if there is another techniques is welcomed thanks

Looks familiar! By any chance, have you watched this Moroccan comedy - بوشعيب بوسعود - Bouchaib le bienheureux / Bouchaib the Blissful (2008)? Here’s one of the sequences from that movie with snuff taking and similar snuff box (from 1:18):

3 Likes

@volunge yeah :joy: did you notice the poor guy over there that’s actually was going to happen to me if i continue doing it lol

1 Like

@volunge and by the way how did you know this movie?

1 Like

This was returned to me after running a search for Moroccan snuff. I don’t remember exact words of that query - I tried quite a few in three different languages. That was a good while ago.

I haven’t watched whole movie, just that excerpt. Did the old man actually die?

2 Likes

@volunge no he didn’t but actually as you already saw hes asthmatic so he could die with this, and the weard tought is that that actor died 2 years ago or so, the gouvernement over her stop all people from selling it, but they don’t bother you if you use it outside, but this all snuffs i think doesn’t work for everyone just a few who are lucky :grin:

1 Like

I had a feeling it didn’t kill him :smirk:.

And here’s another short video featuring some Moroccan dude with a similar shape snuff bottle, only green in colour:

Could you shed some light on those bottles, please? Where do they come from? Are they sold separately and used only for snuff, or they are re-used containers from some other product?

2 Likes

@volunge yes those bottles are actually otrivins bottles those spray bottles used for clearing blocked nose :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

Not too different from white glue containers, perhaps only smaller in size.

1 Like