How can you preserve nicotine content in a snuff?

Two months ago I bought some Toque Black Rappee, an excellent snuff.  The stuff was so strong I had to use it only to beef up their Otto Smaltzer, another excellent snuff with a little Black Rappee. Two or three months later the nicotine is so reduced its just another mild snuff. Is there some way to maintain nicotine content? All my snuffs are kept with electrical tape sealing the container. Would keeping them in a freezer help? Anyone have any success in preserving nicotine?

Maybe the nicotine level on your rappee is still the same as it was and your tolerance simply went higher.

Snuff cant lose its nicotine and especially in that rate (from strong to medium  in a 3 months period). 

Maybe they loose some but not that much to be so noticeable.

I have snuff jars that are years old and kick the same as day one. I have never thought to give an effort to preserve the nicotine in snuff. As long as your snuff is in good condition so would the nicotine in it should be…

Snuff in a jar, away from direct sun light, in a not so warm corner of your home would be okay to preserve snuff.  

Is your rappee completely dry now? Do you keep your snuff containers in a warm place or do you have extreme hot weather where you live? Even in dried out old snuffs I have never witnessed a decrease in nicotine.

Anyway I guess a freezer will help.

4 Likes

Thanks ALLex for your comments. What can I say, my experience has been different. I don’t think my nicotine tolerance has gone higher. I’ve been snuffing for about 10 years. I don’t like extreme nicotine, nor do I like very mild snuffs. I’ve had the nicotine in Navy Sweet last for over a year before fading, but fade it did eventually.

There’s no question in my mind that nicotine content does fade, perhaps a little slower in dry snuffs than damp.

I wonder if any manufacturer has tested how long their nicotine content lasts. The same is true for oral tobaccos. I can’t keep fresh Cope in my mouth for more than 10 minutes before I get beyond my comfort range. But half a year later the stuff is much milder. I wonder if others out there have an opinion.

1 Like

If you do not store your tobacco in an airtight container in a cool dark place it will ferment and lose nicotine as it ferments. Properly stored snuffs will ferment at such a slow rate that there is no noticeable nicotine loss after years of storage. Air, light and heat will cause rapid fermentation.

3 Likes

I wonder what is called an “airtight container”. Can you tell me specifically the brand name of one that I could buy. Is a Ball jar used for making fruit preserves called an air tight jar? By “light” I assume you mean sunlight, or do mean even indoor lighting? Thanks

2 Likes

@pin130 - Anything that seals well will work, I use small amber or cobalt blue glass jars myself. Either fridge or freezer is best for long term storage, but that’s another reason why the air seal is important, you don’t want to strip or add moisture either as both will change the profile of the snuff. 

Finally (easy to say; super hard to do) only buy enough snuff that you need. Ye olde ‘fresh is best’ argument ;-)   

3 Likes

Hi

Heres what I found that might help. Years ago there was a product called aztec clay. (you see it in old tobacco jars) I found a large piece and smashed it apart. I wet it and placed a small piece in my snuff cbox When used with cigars it would give out moisture and take in moisture when needed.Also. I took a viking tin and put a can of cope in it. For some reason it stays fresh longer. 

by the by. please forgive any mistakes as i am legally blind

5 Likes

A lot of useful information here.

I thought snuff cant loose its  nicotine content so easy especially so fast (in 3 months) but I guess I havent experienced it because I have been always storing them in airtight glass jars in a dark and cool place. 

3 Likes

When my snuff dries out I rehydrate it. I’ve never noticed the nicotine levels going down at all.

6 Likes

@mrmanos exactly ! Me too !

3 Likes

My guess is, dehydrated snuff changes in pH, and so does the bioavailability of nicotine in your nose. Nicotine content itself should stay the same regardless of storage conditions. I might be wrong, though.

2 Likes