Long Term Storage

Hello snuff community, I have quite a few tap boxes and a couple tins as well. With more on the way soon. I have double bagged the same ones with each other and then put them in mason jars, then into my fridge at about 10 or 12 degrees Celsius. I do not put food in this fridge only tobacco products. Will this keep everything fresh and enjoyable even after a long time stored in these conditions? How long can I expect my snuff to keep? Lastly, is there a better way to store long term than my current approach? Let me know what you think. Thanks community, Ghost

1 Like

I would say to try different methods and see what works for you. I keep my tins in original packaging. Then I place in an ice chest to keep light and air away. I typically keep out what I am trying and even that is in a tin to keep out of the breeze of the ceiling fan.

1 Like

Thanks for the input.

1 Like

Also keep in mind that moist snuffs can corrode the tins from inside…

The best material for long term storage I think,is glass.

4 Likes

Ok, interesting insight. Thank you.

1 Like

@tobaccobob have you had any blends that have had a metallic aroma due to long term storage?

2 Likes

It’s not just a matter of aroma…I have found rust inside the tins!

For example snuffs like F&T Santo Domingo,WoS Best Dark,SG Kendal Brown etc…won’t last very long in their original tins(maybe a couple of months is ok but for longer time better decant them in glass jars).

At least that’s my personal experience.

5 Likes

My storage method is to put electrical tape on 20 gram tins. Then, with bulk snuff, add sliced, washed carrots, about 1/4” thick, just a few. Yesterday I found an old 100 gram tub of De Kralingse Peppermunt and one of St Omer. Both dry as the desert. I put two of the aforementioned carrot slices in each, this morning both were refreshed to almost their original moisture and scent. Works every time for me. I used to put the bulks in baby food jars, but it just became too much of a production for me in my old age! Simple is best imo.

5 Likes

I’ve used carrot or potato, ye olde tonquin seed works well when soaked prior to use, but your snuff will be scented with it obviously! :wink: :))

4 Likes

I mostly have tap boxes. I like them a lot. However I am waiting on an order of Poschl’s “Schmalzler Brazil A” 100 gram pouch. I think I’ll put some in a used and rinced out round tin. Then I will put the pouch into a plastic zip bag and into my tobacco fridge to keep it fresh.

2 Likes