What's In Your Nose? #13 (Part 1)

WoS Brunswick Black Rappee this afternoon mostly - Aiming to clear out the snuffbox in case I get a delivery tomorrow :wink:

5 Likes

Rosinski Oderlander, has a nice creamy fruity taste to it. I’d say this is a good dessert snuff.

5 Likes

Snuv Iron Throne wakeup

6P LA Natural 

6P French Riviera

MIxed Toque chocolate and black cherry after lunch 

Dr Rumneys Brown 

F and T Santo Domingo

Nutty Ella after dinner 

JNF Big bull 

Taxi Red 

6 Likes

A pinch of fresh coarse and moist homemade Burley snuff.

8 g dry tobacco, 3.2 g water, 0.5 g sea salt, 0.4 g potash, 6 drops ammonia water (10% ammonia solution).

@MisterPaul, correct, Yellow Lily has about two times less nicotine than White Elephant (1.14% vs 2.5%) and is less alkaline.

8 Likes

I can’t believe a “What’s in your nose” thread has been going for 4 years. I sure do miss the old days around here when we had hundreds of comments a day. Mullins and Westley Keen Scented for me today.

6 Likes

@leman wish i had been there. Time moves on, everything changes, not always for the better. 

5 Likes

@Just_Browsing It was nice. With so much activity here, a lot of us really got to know each other. We talked plenty about tobacco, but also about pretty much anything else we could think of. It seems that those days aren’t only gone here, but that age for the entire internet is gone. Not many people spend much time on little sites like this anymore. It’s all just the big social media and shopping pages that get much traffic and interaction.

6 Likes

@leman im active on youtube, but almost proud to say i’m not on facebook, twitter, snapchat, instagram. I’m relatively new to this site, post regularly, and love the older threads, I suppose pipe smoking, and snuff use is becoming less mainstream, what with bans on smoking and people vaping ( i smoke a pipe, and also vaped since before most people knew what it was, until i was sub ohming on home made coils and waking up 2 or 3 times a night to do it. Snuff helped me give up vape and most pipe tobacco use )

So, even if this place is quiet, i enjoy it very much, thanks to all you " old posters" and the few new users who still post. 

7 Likes

Fribourg & Treyer. High Dry Toast

5 Likes

@leman, you are right - people were literally hoovered by those multimedia-enhanced all-in-one networks, luring with deeper interaction options and all sorts of ego-tickling extras which many are dead keen on.

I’ve been a passive reader of Snuffhouse since its early days, but registered and dived into discussions just a few years ago, when this forum wasn’t crowded anymore, but still attracted way more traffic than it does today. This late involvment of mine and daily participation (although there are days, sometimes even weeks when I don’t write a single word here, but I still track the action daily) has helped me gradually and painlessly adapt to the new reality and relocate to other, more busy places (hosting same folks, by the way), without abandoning this one, which I’m still very partial to. It’s the very last out of a handful of various forums I used to participate in, which I’m still using to this day.

One thing I really miss - and this applies to all platforms, or should I rather say - online communities, is the depth of discussions. Writing-unfriendly mobile touchscreen devices has made a terrific impact on the length of messages/posts/replies/comments, and the lack of objective structure on those overcrowded modern networks turns them into an ocean of random ephemera.

All said, I dare to assume that the most enthuasiastic snuff takers sooner or later find the path to this depository of snuff knowledge. Even if for reading alone.

Some more active communities:
Nasal Snuff Tobacco Enthusiasts Discord: https://discord.gg/xWErYhyZzs
Nasal Snuff subreddit: https://www.reddit.com/r/nasalsnuff/
Nasal Snuff Takers and Modern Snuff groups on Facebook

5 Likes

Some Hedges L260 to get the juices flowing and wake up, it’s been F&T’ Old Paris since then whilst I eagerly anticipate the postman :wink: :smiley:

4 Likes

Same homemade Burley snuff, slightly scented with whole black peppercorns overnight.

4 Likes

The postman has been! 

Starting off with Artisan Snuff Robusta Rappee - My initial impressions are good; tin note is fresh rich cured tobacco with a little ammonia, with a very faint coffee note. The snuff is almost very dark brown almost black, I would say medium course consistent grind, and nice an moist. In the nose it’s very pleasing the coffee scent is on the understated side (which is a good thing I reckon), similar to GH’s Cafe Regal but with a slightly more creamy tone to it. I’m sure that time with it will lead to greater reflections ;-) 

4 Likes

@MisterPaul, I’ve been chomping at the bit to buy up some of those Artisan snuffs, nearly pulled the trigger yesterday because I have a £10 voucher to spend, although I may add a bit more to it so that I can benefit from the free postage.

Ambrosia at the moment, leaning towards the sweeter snuffs at the moment.

3 Likes

@BeerandSnuff - Worth a spin of the wheel on I think. I have the Dark and Ficus Rappee’s to try this afternoon (it’s a day of discovery!

Moving on with the [new to me] Rosinski Ochsenkopf: I like this a lot, I think that the team at Rosinski produce some of the most interesting types of snuff on the market, and this doesn’t disappoint. To me this has an unusual scent profile for a plain snuff, probably due to the fermenting. I get some sweetness and dried fruit/chocolatey notes in the middle of the profile to my palate. Rustic is a good description, but it’s not simple for that, more characterful.   

4 Likes

@MisterPaul I also have the Ficus Rappee on its way I was intrigued by the fig element so looking forward to trying that. It’s been LA Natural and Keen Scented this morning.

5 Likes

@Hysmans :)) Yes, you and I have very similar tastes I think! :wink: I was pulled in by the Old Paris/SWS Creme du Figue similarities of that one too :slight_smile:

Just had my first go at SNUV’s Rusty Trombone (still and unfortunate choice of name I think!): I went for this one on basis that it was supposed to be plain; which I wouldn’t say it exactly is. After running upstairs and digging for the Six Photo LA Plain there’s some obvious commonality there. The SNUV is much more moist and a darker shade of brown, but then it coming up on a decade fresher - The vitamin N force seems to be ‘strong’ in both offerings. Nice: characteristically India, but thankfully not ridiculously perfumed/scented like some, Mind you I suppose that White Elephant is supposedly plain [only if you fed the fish in the aquarium for a living though] 

4 Likes

Toque Lime Toast in the nose with this mornings coffee. The news is talking about school delays from black ice on the roads.

6 Likes

Viking ISS wake up call

Poschl Lowenprise 

Poschl Original 

Mixed Snuv Nutty Elle and a TINY bit of Snuv Iron throne after lunch 

F and T Bordeaux

41P Lilly Perfumed 

It will be more mixed NUtty ella and Iron throne after dinner later, 

Dragon Madras and NTSU Black awaiting attention tonight 

6 Likes

So the Pepsi Challenge Artisan Snuff Ficus Rappee v’s SWS Creme du Figue 

The Artisan Snuff offering is physically similar to the Robusta Rappee; but there’s a much more prominent tin note of fig in the mix straight off the bat here though. It’s a very ‘sweet’ scented fig on the nose especially initially, it kind of reminds me of a fig flavoured chocolate truffle or something like that. [for me] the fig scent seems to tail off in the nose relatively quickly. I’m not getting a lot of tobacco note either though I am getting the characteristic moisture you get with rappee snuffs and my hanky is getting some occasional use.

In comparison the SWS Creme du Figue: with the SWS I get more the smell of fresh figs in the punnet and then in the nose more of the same but with that creamy slightly dark chocolate scent, fading into a more recognisable SWS tobacco base note (the front drip is much stronger with this - Hanky becomes critical) but I think that overall the scent is longer lived.

I like both; they are very different riffs on the same type of theme.

7 Likes