What's In Your Nose? #13 (Part 1)

Staying kinda menthol with the olde Rosinski Berliner Luff 

6 Likes

I’m still on my McCrystal’s O&G binge. Am looking forward to trying this M&W Keen Scented @MisterPaul!

@Huysmans, I didn’t care much for FB being down. I far prefer the old school simplicity of snuffhouse. 

5 Likes

White Elephant

4 Likes

A few late afternoon pinches of F&T’s Princes :wink:

5 Likes

@MisterPaul Joining in with the Princes this evening.

5 Likes

Starting the day with a post shower, scrub and shave bump of F&T’s Dr JR Justice :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Like a snuff fiend version of Emimem “I’m cleanin out my closet snuffbox!” :)) - So steady pinches of the charming F&T’s Old Paris for me this morning :slight_smile:

3 Likes

That didn’t last long… :)) Switching it up for the 5th Baronet’s take on the Old Paris recipe with SWS Creme de Figue No.1

5 Likes

Fribourg & Treyer Bordeaux

7 Likes

@MisterPaul How is the Creme de Figue? I have heard about it’s connection with the original Old Paris recipe which has piqued my interest.

3 Likes

Hi @Huysmans - Hoping that you are well :) 

It’s a lovely snuff (all Johnny’s are to be fair). Johnny, by his own admission, was massively influenced by the old F&T recipes in the creation of his range and several of his snuffs are homages to them. Creme de Figue is probably the most well known of these, but if I recall correctly Thrice Brewed is a reproduction of a log departed F&T snuff called Masulipatam. Alud Alliance was another one but I can’t recall the F&T one that was based upon. 

Snuffing folklore anecdotally recalls that F&T were somewhat ‘fanatical’ about their sauces/casings and maturation of the snuffs. Supposedly when they shut their doors and Wilsons started making them via Imperial Tobacco originally I think. They had the recipes but not the finesse and insider secrets to make them identical. Personally I think you have to take this with a hint of rose tinting (also true of Dunhill pipe blends to my mind - another story) others do strongly disagree. 

Creme de Figue doesn’t have same shoe dirt/polish scent, it is a sweeter (tonquin bean maybe?) and more refined offering, but there is a commonality between the two because of the use of the arrack, the grind is also a bit different on the CdF with it being a little on the courser side. Creme de Figue was the first of Johnny’s snuffs that I brought (similar to yourself) on the strength of my love of Old Paris. Definately worth having in your collection if you like Old Paris and fancy a luxury version of that (you’ll want both!). However, if you really like the ‘barnyard’ type scent profile Bernard Feinster Kownoer is also like Old Paris but in a very different way. 

7 Likes

Fascinating read @MisterPaul. Thanks.

Oh, my M&W Keen Scented arrived… 

Christ almighty this stuff is good! Fresh out of the tin the menthol hits me harder than McCrystal’s O&G. The base tobacco has a plainer and more traditional scent. A moister and fluffier grind which sits much better in my nose with no drip. This stuff is very moorish!

5 Likes

Would you believe I’m just now trying Otto Chancellor for the first time? Wow, what a treat. Shame I only picked up 100g because this is going to go quick.

5 Likes

@Nulliverse - Glad to hear that your liking the Mullins & Westley’s Keen Scented. Base flour is lovely and rather moreish isn’t it? :wink: An early start for me today with a post shower pinch of Wilsons Jockey Club to kick off with :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Can’t resist a pinch of Keen Scented to start the day after reading these comments. @MisterPaul thank you for such a detailed and informative answer to my question about CdF! Definitely one I shall invest in a tin of. I haven’t tried any of the SWS snuffs yet and it sounds like the ideal entry point.

4 Likes

For this evening, it’s co-incidentally, from reading the previous posts, SWS Creme de Figue. I love the mild sweetness and satisfying nose feel. It’s a good ‘un and one of my favourite stretch out on the sofa with a good film snuffs.

7 Likes

Fribourg & Treyer. Santo Domingo =D>

7 Likes

M&W’s Keen Scented to kick the day off earlier, the very dregs of some old M&W’s Cafe Royale now :wink:

5 Likes

M&W’s Black Rappee currently - I have a craving for some toast developing today I think…  :-?

6 Likes

I’m still loving M&W’s Keen Scented and had it first thing today. Certainly woke me up!

Right now it’s sneaky snuffs at work from my small McCrystal’s O&G tin. 

6 Likes