OT What Are You Reading?

@Betty_BW  Mmm, The Count of Monte Cristo is dang near lascivious for those who enjoy the catharsis of a good revenge story.

3 Likes

@SHbickel how right you are. 

2 Likes

Working my way through the short stories of JG Ballard: sort of the Toque Cheese and Bacon of writers in that you love him or hate him, I’ve never met anyone who thought he was just OK!

3 Likes

Finished The Egyptian by Mika Waltari. A wonderful example of well-researched historical fiction!

1 Like

@RobEdgar I have a cultural awareness of JG Ballard and I think he’d tickle my fancy. Any advice for a new reader on where to start?

@SHbickel - He’s a tricky one as his first few novels are definitely very science fiction, a bit later on he gets a little more based in reality with disaster fiction, and his later stories are just…weird (not in a bad way!) Personally, I really liked The Drought and The Drowned World from his earlier works, my two favourites are High Rise and Concrete Island. Vermillion Sands is a collection of short stories all based in the same place but not necessarily connected (if memory serves), definitely worth reading. And of course his short stories which are a bit hit and miss but more hit than miss!

1 Like

Interesting thread! Right now I am working my way through Suetonius’ The Twelve Caesars.

1 Like

A great reading called “Disciple”, written by an argentine guy named Juan Carlos Ortiz.

3 Likes

I am finishing “La cajita de rapé” (The Little Snuffbox), by the Spanish writer Alonso-Javier García Pozuelo. It Is a detective novel in which a little snuffbox plays an important role. The story portrais tobacco consumption (mostly smoking) a lot. An engaging story!

2 Likes

Assault on Truth by Jeffrey Masson. It’s not a novel, it’s an essay.

2 Likes

The tunnel by William H. Gass

2 Likes

@tobaccobob Interestingly enough, I have read a book with the same title by Argentinian writer Ernesto Sábato. A story with psychological drama, romance and murdering. Now I should read the book of William H. Gass too!

1 Like

At the moment, I am reading the Cyberpunk Red core rule book.

My buddy and I played Cyberpunk 2020 back in the day… and since his career path has allowed him to return to our home state we are going to return to playing

1 Like

Last Tex Willer comics book.

1 Like

Just recently finished ‘Pilgrim of the Absolute’ by Leon Bloy (which was a great read!), right now I’m working my way through Blaise Pascal’s ‘Pensees’

2 Likes

Henry VIII: The King and His Court by Alison Weir, a long read but very good, if you’re interested in the Tudors most notorious family member then it’s worth a read.

1 Like

Bag of bones by Stephen King . Halfway in and it’s good so far .

1 Like

Fairy Tale by Stephen King and Five Total Strangers by Natalie Richards

1 Like

One Nation Under Blackmail - Whitney Webb

1 Like

Tex Willer #50 (comic book).

1 Like