Reaction to dark snuffs?

At this point I’ve had SPs, an Indian white, a couple of medicated snuffs, and few coarse dark snuffs (from Gawith and F&T). And a schmalzler. I am finding that the dark coarse snuffs give me an immediate strong reaction of violent sneezing and heavy nose dripping. Maybe not so much the schmalzler. But I can take the lighter ones just fine, no sneezing, and I can hold them in my nose for awhile. My daily snuffs are Gawith Vereys Plus and Old Paris. Are the dark snuffs a different kind of tobacco? Does anyone else have a specific reaction like that?

The main difference is just moisture and grind, but you will see fire cured leaf used a lot more in the darker, coarser snuffs. Could be you are reacting to the smoke in there.

1 Like

I used dark snuffs only seldomly for the same reason … until I found Viking Thor’s Hammer (thanks @SammyD13) which I enjoyed so much I put up with the Niagara Falls nose I got with many darks. After enjoying one regularly my nose quickly adapted and now I can take darks - within reasonable volume - before leaving the house without a tissue. Practice makes perfect!

1 Like

@Boxen, besides (a blend of) powdered tobacco (-s) and water, most snuffs contain some of the further listed ingredients, such as edible salt, salmiak, potassium, sodium or ammonium carbonate, slaked lime, various essential oils, camphor, menthol; there might be a small amount of molasses or artificial sweetener, as well as paraffin oil or ghee, to mention but a few (most common constituents).

Poschl Red Bull Strong snuff always triggers crazy sneezing fits for me, but it’s neither dark nor coarse. I’m sure it’s my reaction to the additives, not the tobacco. I didn’t sneeze from Old Paris, but I do remember The Drip (I would blame higher pH - which is the case with most fresh (moist) strong snuffs; all schmalzlers are oiled with paraffin that makes them runny). I especially enjoyed OP as a morning nose primer.

4 Likes

yes coarse snuffs don’t agree with me as much as finer snuffs do. Though as has been pointed out it’s not all coarse snuffs. And poschls really disagree with me. I have long suspected that it’s the paraffin wax. How do I deal with it, well not taking them.

2 Likes

Yeah, I guess there’s all kinds of additives that I’m not thinking of as well. I hope I can eventually adjust - I’d like to be able to take Elmo’s Reserve without my nose complaining so much, that stuff is nice…

1 Like

@Boxen, you could try cutting Elmo’s with other snuff, which doesn’t cause you those issues.

1 Like

I love dark coarse snuffs…my favorite is NTSU, I also like gawith hoggarth sp, which is not dark but the best sp by far…next favorite snuff is kendal brown , taxi red is pretty good…and wos best dark is wonderful stuff… ntsu and kendal brown i could not live without…and would be happy with just those two.

The white snuffs dont even compare.

3 Likes

If you like Taxi and Best dark try Babaton Blue

4 Likes

@PrinceValium love the username, Spaceballs rocks!

2 Likes

I like dark snuffs but not exclusively. Black rappee, London Brown, Santo Domingo, and NTSU are my favorites, plus Princes. Oh, taxi, babaton and other SA snuffs.

3 Likes

I use dark course snuff about 70% of the time 

2 Likes

I really like dark moist snuffs. I like to start with some good pinches of Ntsu Black. Then followed by sniffing Dholakia White from the back of the hand !

Sometimes I would even put some water drops into Ntsu black and I make it even more moist, just pinch it and shove it in my nose and squeeze it, its like dip for the nose. 

2 Likes

I call myself a Schmalzlerfan. I really love the Aecht Altbayerischer as well as the Perlesreuther Waldler Fresko. Schmalzlerfranzl and Schmalzlerfranzl are really great either.

Dark snuffs per se, like Viking Brown/Dark or some of the SGs like KB are also making my nose dripping more than the brighter ones.

But that

3 Likes

It is an interesting subject to me because I find the exact opposite. It shows that individual physiology plays a big part in snuff taking. Dark moist snuffs of medium grind are always safe for me - little sneezing and next to no congestion or nose running. But oddly South African snuffs do cause me issues. Fine dry snuffs are almost always problematic and I don’t use them very often. I wish this weren’t the case. It’s so fortunate that there’s something for everyone and it’s important to move on and try something else if a certain snuff causes issues, even if most people say the opposite.

1 Like

I’m like some here.  I have no issues with African snuffs (NTSU, Taxi) yet I use dark English snuffs sparingly.  They just plug me up so badly, but I can use them before bed and not have too many issues breathing by the time I wake up the next morning

I wish I had a solution for this.  Maybe it’s an additive.  On an unrelated note, I can’t use Scotches at all without issues.  They just don’t agree with my sinuses, I guess.  It’s basically like sniffing dissolved sugar cubes with tobacco in them if that makes sense.  I’m not sure why but again it could be the additives 

1 Like

The snuff that seems to clog me up less that any other is Samuel Gawith Silky Dark (the old Viking Dark). Dark-fired medium/course English snuffs are never a problem for me. Which is great because I love them. I get along well with Schmalzlers too. Even a few pinches of a toast seems to punish me though. I’m convinced it’s about the colour. Lol

Bernard Fresco, the only schmalzler I’ve had doesn’t bother me a bit.  WoS Plain doesn’t bother me either but I think pretty much any dark snuff will give me a type of rebound congestion after a couple pinches.  I can still use them but not everyday