Is Samuel Gawith closing it's snuff production?

At the German shop snuffstore.de most Sam Gawith snuffs are listed as “not available”. mysmokingshop has only a few snuffs from Sam Gawith left and seems to stop restocking them, the same with snuffstore.co.uk and mrsnuff.com. Only Roderick from toquesnuff.com remains selling the whole range and seems to have a big number of all the snuffs in stock. 

All in all it seems that Sam Gawith (under the roof of Gawith Hoggarth) does not produce their snuffs anymore. Does anybody have further knowledge? 

It would be very sad if my beloved Silky Dark would disappear…  

Think Wilsons are doing them now.

2 Likes

No, no, definitely not… This is a rumor that’s gotten out of control. I have actually just made a video about this… I can tell you that this isn’t the case, beyond a shadow of a doubt. Will link the video here shortly.

5 Likes

oof, should have gotten some celtic talisman with my recent order

it would be sad if they stopped production indeed

3 Likes

it seems they stopped selling samuel gawith to european countries

https://pfeifenblog.de/brexit-samuel-gawith-liefert-nicht-mehr-in-die-eu/

1 Like

Another joke from the Schmexit series: “Dabei hatte man die endlosen LKW-Schlangen bei der Zollabfertigung in die EU sehr gut nutzen konnen, die Tabake altern zu lassen (Agen, sagt man dazu neuerdings). 3 Monate in einem Sattelauflieger gereift, das ware doch bestimmt ein enormer Zugewinn an Geschmacksnuancen gewesen. Schade, eine verpasste Chance.” Love this, lol.

No more extra ageing in trucks for 3 months…

@SunnyDay, some tins of Celtic are still in stock on snuff.me.uk.

5 Likes

It’s a shame Gawith Hoggarth don’t engage with their customers on here to say what is going on.

4 Likes

Toquesnuff has all the SG in stock and no shortage. England pulled out of the EU and now SG is taxed for those countries because it’s no longer EU.

2 Likes

So places like Denmark/Germany aren’t re-upping their supply.

2 Likes

Parcels below 20 EUR (100 g snuff) shipped from the UK/IoM might still pass through the customs untaxed. As far as I know, each country has set value limits exempt from taxation, and they are about that amount. And even if such exemptions do not apply to tobacco, small parcels might bypass inspection/taxation. I’m not allowed to mail-in any tobacco products at all, but in ten years not a single parcel or bubble mailer was confiscated. I just don’t order kilos.

4 Likes

@Wild_Alaska toquesnuff doesn’t have Irish D.  I only noticed because it’s the Samuel Gawith snuff I mainly use.  Still they do have everything else

2 Likes

I still wish they would re expand their product range, though. I am waiting, for just the right moment, to open up my last Grousemoor and Cob Dark.

3 Likes

Samuel Gawith snuffs seem to go out of stock. Always have. Like their pipe tobacco. I think they just wait for the retailer orders to build up before making a new batch of anything. This is not confirmed but it makes sense of what I’ve seen repeatedly over the years.

4 Likes

We do engage with customers and have active well followed facebook, instagram and twitter pages, a you tube channel and take part in as may forums as we can, but there are only so many hours in the day as well as running a business and production factory. 

We still produce snuffs. None of our production has gone to Wilsons. 

There are some logistics issues due to Brexit and Covid which we are working to rectify. 

6 Likes

I hope they reacquire the viking range at some point. Is there anything currently available that is similar to the old thor’s hammer?

1 Like

Just a note here from me. I ordered a 25g tin of Samuel Gawith Irish D on 22 April. There was only one available and possibly online. I haven’t seen any since. Hopefully it’s still being made. It’s my go to snuff

3 Likes

@Gormur Irish D is definitely missing in action at the moment. I know of one tobacconist which may possibly have some still in London but it’s not been in stock in any of the usual vendors for a while. @gawithhoggarth is Irish D going to be back on the shelves?

3 Likes

Samuel Gawith snuffs are still produced and sold. 

3 Likes

I wish they(SG) still made Black Rappee. None of the other ones come close.

2 Likes

There’s a Wilson’s equivalent. I forget which one off the top of my head. @here anyone remember?

2 Likes