Online Nasal Snuff Community Rumor Mill, Please Stop

Now, this group doesn’t seem to be so given to the rumor mill as other locations online, especially not as bad as reddit for sure… But thought I’d share, because it’s gonna take us all working together to protect our passion. Original Post https://youtu.be/qIOxFDYGOqU Not trying to come down on anyone in particular, but I’ve got something stuck in my craw right about now, that I’m afraid could VERY negatively impact all of us. Don’t take offense, I ain’t tryin to be a dick… We just got some habits that we need to work on together as a community… Hell, I’ve been guilty of this myself up until the last 9 or so months, so I ain’t comin from a place of highfalutin browbeatin’… Its out of of genuine concern, havin’ see the impact of it and havin’ been given to that habit without realizing or thinking a thing of it myself. Let’s all try to work together to protect our treasured and very endangered hobby.

I never heard anything about this rumor until this post… 

5 Likes

Could someone briefly explain in writing? I am Spanish and I have a hard time listening to English. Thanks!

@MiamiMark I am surprised, but pleasantly. This rumor is so pervasive that it’s been spreading for months… And it’s so bad that just the other day I ran into a pipe smoker at my local tobacco shop, and even he had heard and believed that Samuel Gawith had gone out of business.

I dont think Samuel Gawith’s going out of bussiness.

Maybe they’re gonna raise the prices because of brexit…so every store wait to offload the old stock and then restock with the new shining prices…

1 Like

Old-stagers are well aware of this GH operating mode and are used to the odd disappearance of their products from the shelves every here and then, both pipe tobacco and snuff. It’s relatively small producer, who has never hidden the fact that they make snuff from what is left from manufacturing pipe tobacco, and it takes time to accumulate that material for running another batch. Also, it should be taken into consideration that GH produce their pipe tobaccos only when a sufficient number of orders from the retailers is reached, which also adds to our wait.

Repetitious rumours about the discontinuation or GH even going out of a business might get on nerves, sure (as might do the GH modus operandi), but they are only re-spiking interest in their poducts (quoting PiperAtTheGates, “blends do seem to gain a kind of boost to their status when they disappear from the shelves”) and even trigger FOMO panic buys, which is definitely not a bad thing for a retailer and the producer. So, it’s quite a routine. And pretty much always a learning experience for newbies. Should be regarded as a normal Q/A sort of thing.

7 Likes

That’s a very useful piece of info… Now, to find me some 1792!

2 Likes

All I know is that the Samuel Gawith grinder is no longer in use.

3 Likes

@volunge By coincidence I just this morning said something very similar elsewhere here. I completely agree. Normal for SG.

2 Likes

@Volunge As Samuel Gawith make snuff from the pipe tobacco left overs, is it possible to link a certain snuff to a certain pipe tobacco produced by them? Like would I be able for example to find out which pipe tobacco KB Plain is made from?

1 Like

I’m afraid it can be more challenging than it might seem. Snuff actually is not made from pipe tobacco.

Initially it’s the same leaf, but pipe tobacco and snuff are produced from different parts of leaf. Finest grade lamina (the most flavourful and rich in nicotine part of leaf) is turned to pipe tobacco; leftovers - midrib (central vein, stem), smalls (scraps, small pieces / crumbs of leaves broken during handling) and lower grade leaves - are used for snuff. Then it’s different processing of tobacco. Grinding, alkalizing and maturing (“fermentation”) dramatically changes the organoleptic properties of tobacco. Sure, one still can recognize fired, Virginia or Burley-dominated bases, but snuff processing gives those tobaccos new qualities, which make them substantially different from the same tobaccos in pipe baccy.

8 Likes

Mmmmmmm we do not make snuff out of pipe tobacco left overs. 

Samuel Gawith as an individual business no longer exists. Gawith Hoggarth & Co bought Samuel Gawith in 2015. Since then Samuel Gawith tobaccos have been produced in the Gawith Hoggarth factory and Samuel Gawith is now a brand of Gawith Hoggarth produced by Gawith Hoggarth & Co. So now Samuel Gawith and Gawith Hoggarth are once again owned by the Gawith family. 

We never actually shut down in covid. The factory was open the whole time. But we were working on skeleton staff and we did have to send a lot of people home on furlong and this did effect production. We still have people having to isolate at home if they test positive. 

We actually now have more markets than ever but due to the EU making life rather difficult, it is currently difficult trying to get products to the EU but we are now starting slowly and have a new distributor in Spain and are sending small amounts to places. And hopefully by summer distribution to Europe will be getting back to normal. 

And actually we have seen a fair increase in snuff sales over recent year or two. 

We have a facebook page, instagram page, twitter, linkedIn, youtube channel etc…all updates and stuff is on there. 

You are pronouncing it right (the first version)! 

6 Likes

@gawithhoggarth maybe you all could bring back snuff that got axed in 2015 :-S London brown

6 Likes

And Wild Duck and Lavender Dark and Peppermint Dark and all the other darks.

4 Likes

Great first time I heard this rumor too. And what’s crazy is the way the company is acting completely contradicts this. If anything they’re acting like a company that is actually doing pretty well especially considering their size. 

Now what I am about to say is totally speculative. That is to me it looks like a rumor that was started with malice. It’s the second rumor that I’ve heard about them that was clearly false. To not get into detail. The whole thing reminds me of something that happened years ago. One musician who was a total piece of garbage. Like honestly when the guy passed most people who had known him shrugged, he wasn’t a jerk or kind of not great. There where a number of venues that refused to work with or let him do shows with them, several venues. All with good reason too. After that suddenly there are all these rumors going about how these clubs don’t pay people how they abuse artists in many ways. How they’re going to close soon because they’re failures. Yeah o.k. I think without any proof that these rumors are coming from someone they stopped doing business with and all evidence points to their interests being handled much better. No evidence of this but it’s still setting off my alarms.

3 Likes

I’d personally seen no evidence of this rumour until OP posted this thread here and a similar one on r/nasalsnuff. If it did exist prior, it was probably one or two people spitballing because some of their favourites had been out of stock for a few weeks.

3 Likes

@gawithhoggarth - Yes: Bring back London Brown! We all miss it :( 

5 Likes

@gawithhoggarth Please bring back Irish D it was one of the very few plain toasts in production and sorely missed by many.

4 Likes

I would have to check the actual price list for a definite list but the Samuel Gawith snuffs are still produced and sold. 

3 Likes