Snuff for chronic congestion

I got a buddy comin up to finish his cabin after the snow goes. He suffers from chronic sinus congestion and the docs won’t send him to the surgeon until he takes the pills for a year to “see if that don’t kick it”. And he won’t take the pills. I read on a review yesterday (which thing I do for entertainment now) and someone said there are snuffs specifically for such conditions as my buddy has. Which?

Treat your buddy with Six Photo Green Dragon and SG Black Magic (aka Silky Dark).

2 Likes

For me nothing kills congestion like a plain US scotch like Square, even the most clogged up nostril is clear within seconds of taking a scotch.

3 Likes

I wonder if when thinking about snuffs that are specifically for combating congestion, it might be that the reviewer was talking about medicated snuff (another word for menthol). As many people on here attest, menthol snuffs can counterintuitively clog you up quite quickly so it might be worth your friend trying but don’t be surprised if they actually make things worse. For me (someone who suffers from recurring sinusitis), I have to be honest that all snuffs clog me up in the long term, but I do get a bit of short term relief from the very dry toast snuffs like Fribourg and Treyer High Dry or Wilsons Irish No. 22, I can’t comment on the Scotches or the Indian snuffs mentioned above by @volunge or @n9ineinchnails but would definitely defer 6o their opinion as they know more about this than I do!

3 Likes

IIRC 6 Photo claims that their Motia is often used for congestion. Seems good for that to me, its not super mentholated.

1 Like

How would you describe your “congestion” symptoms? Im curious, because I am having nasal irritation/pain but in mucosal layer, 3 out of 0-10 scale. Mostly in the morning. I found FUBAR Bohica make it go away, also hipertonic saline water - a must have!

Occasionally I get mild upper sinus pain but its somehow… pleasant? haha

1 Like

A healthy pinch of Wilsons of Sharrow Singleton’s Super Cool triggers waterfall-like drip without any rebound.

3 Likes

@RobEdgar I don’t know how for others, but in my case the clogging up was only an issue in my early snufftaking days. After many years of habitual use it happens once in the blue moon, e.g. when I hadn’t had mentlolated goodness in my nose for a while.

1 Like

@Johano I’m still a total novice with snuff, but I find that my nose definitely acclimatises to whatever it is I’m snuffing long term, menthols still stuff me up however although I really like them. My sinuses still get all clogged up over time regardless, although they were doing that anyway so plus ca change! I just wondered if @Wild_Alaska 's buddy was even newer to snuff than I am, he/she might immediately decide that upon taking a hit of menthol it just made everything worse and would give up immediately!

2 Likes

@volunge do you mean the one in the green plastic turn box? Just curious, as when I have bought it in the past, it was totally dry by the time I got it. I do like the WoS made one quite a bit.

1 Like

@Mr_O, Wilsons of Sharrow one (edited my post). I’m not familiar with the one in a plastic turn box yet (I think it’s South African). Do you happen to know how does Scandinavian Tobacco Group Singleton in metal-plastic tap tin compare to both? Comes in 3 g and 6 g tap tins. (Three different Singleton’s!)

@volunge I am quite sure that it is South African. It is quite coarse, and the scent would suggest it too. I do not think you are missing out on anything great. I do not think that I have had that other Singletons.

1 Like

One of the Irish-style toasts always works for me - F&T HDT, WoS Irish no 22, or Toque Natural Toast. I like medicated snuffs, but most have the effect of clogging my nose up, with notable exceptions of Poschl Andechs Spezial as well as the mentholated Bernard offerings.

3 Likes

I find the opposite of most (I’m sorry). Dry, fine snuffs like toasts are the biggest congestants for me, although I try to still enjoy some of them, with some success in relative moderation. For example at least one of my favourite snuffs is a toast, but I can’t use it too frequently throughout the day. Menthols are terrible for me too. As is anything too coarse. All of these block my nose and give me acid snot and no sense of smell until resolved, which can sometimes take 24hrs. What really leaves me clear are many of the schmalzlers. They keep my snot liquid rather than sticky (again sorry - this time for the graphic description), and I don’t suffer in any way with these. No blockages. Strong scent with every pinch. Two of the snuffs I can use all day without ever having a problem are Bernard Aecht Alt Schmalzler and Otto Schmalzler. Both are divine and boast plenty of nic, and have become my favourites for repeated daily use. I suspect I’d find the same with any non-mentholated, oiled, dark snuff. I recommend anyone still having problems with dry, fine snuffs to give them a go. If you’re a freak like me then these or something similar might be the answer you’re looking for. Worth a shot. Took me ages and a great deal of frustration and soreness to figure it out.

2 Likes

My above post isn’t particularly useful in answering @Wild_Alaska’s question, but I hope it’s useful to someone and this seemed like a relevant place to post it.

2 Likes

@Zebra2374 you should give Santo Domingo a go if you haven’t…

2 Likes

If you are prone to menthol rebound. Try Toque CBD. It helped with nighttime congestion i had more consistently than any other snuff. Did make me drowsy though. I go through phases though between SPs, Toasts, Schmalzers, and light menthols. One always clears me up and the other three clog but it changes every week or so and i never know when or which one its going to be. I almost always get menthol rebound eventually though so when thats the one thats working i usually take some time off.

1 Like