What's your favourite Toque?

I have to go with Ambrosia

3 Likes

I chose Berwick Brown back in 2016 and I feel the need to I’ll stick with that (excellent and unique) choice. But I have to give honorable mentions to:

Toque Quit - The most binge-able snuff I’ve experienced. Unscented, but with a fantastic natural “molasses” scent.  Once I crack a tin I’m snuffing nothing else until it’s empty.

Toque SP Extra - Something really special, a real “bergamot bomb”, but it’s the base tobacco that really helps it shine. (So this is perhaps a second honorable mention for Quit.)

Toque Natural Toast - In all respects, a direct competitor to the venerable HDT. Bready, buttery, nutty, with a balanced smoky undertone.

I snuff more Toque than any other brand.

4 Likes

Ambrosia, Original, TNT, USA Whisky and honey

2 Likes

I didn’t see anyone mention Cola, that surprised me. Although I do believe it is edged out by Spanish Gem, Cola was the first tin I ever finished off from my first order.

3 Likes

Toque Quit for sure

4 Likes

@ALLex @SHbickel totally agree, have just emptied a tin of the Quit (although I quit smoking cigarettes some years ago now!) And it just ticks all the right boxes for me. Lovely scent, reminds me of a nice Virginia based pipe tobacco and has enough nicotine to sharpen me up a bit! Close second is the Natural Toast

6 Likes

SP Extra is the only one I’ve tried and it’s a now a staple. I’m curious about: Quit Berwick Brown St. Clements Rustica (for mixing) Thoughts?

3 Likes

SP Extra is my “kick me in the Jimmy pick me up.”. Berwick Brown is a good bergamot laid over what reminds me of the Kendall brown type snuffs.

2 Likes

@Wild_Alaska

• Quit is perfection. I’ve been told it’s the base tobacco for SP Extra.  Unscented, but VERY flavorful in its own right.
  • Berwick Brown is divine. Based on your enjoyment of some of the more perfumed F&T snuffs, I’m sure you’ll enjoy it.
  • St. Clements is like candied orange zest on the original Toque base. A fine choice.
  • Rustica is a great choice for mixing. See recent posts from Volunge here for some pairing tips to maximize nicotine if that’s your goal.

And while I heartily recommend ANY Toque snuff, here are a three popular choices that you might be missing:

• Toque USA Whiskey and Honey - Too sweet for my palate, but it seems to be universally loved so I’m happy to admit I’m “wrong”! Super strong nicotine.
  • Ambrosia - Another that’s a bit too decadent for me, but universally appreciated around these parts.
  • Otto Chancellor - An SP in the style of the German oiled snuffs. I haven’t tried it yet, but I’m very excited to add this to my next order with Roderick.

Cheers!

3 Likes

@SHbickel If you like bergamot, you need Otto Chancellor in your life.

3 Likes

@SHbickel Chancellor has menthol? Do any of the others on that list? I’m ok with a tiny bit, but menthol does not agree with my guts much at all. I’m starting to appreciate the fine grinds now that I’m getting better/more consistent at taking them. Don’t seem to make me run as much…

1 Like

@pantsBoots I’m more excited to try Otto Chancellor than any snuff in recent memory. I’ll throw an economy bag in my next order with Toque, but I need to empty a few bottles before I put in my order because I plan to order a bespoke snuff too which only comes in 400g and I’m out of fridge space!  haha

@Wild_Alaska Yes, I expect the level of menthol in the Otto line to be similar to the Poschl-types.  I can enjoy a few pinches of Poschl throughout the day without feeling the “menthol rebound” as Uncle Squinty calls it.  English menthols though… they tear up my nose and make me super sensitive, it feels like a chemical burn or something, and they stuff me up immediately.

3 Likes

@SHbickel how is Berwick Brown next to SG Kendal Brown original? I don’t wanna stock both…

@Wild_Alaska I’m not a big fan of menthol but I find the amount in Chancellor perfect. It’s not dominant but complementary. Highly recommended Snuff. @SHbickel A 10g tin was just not enough for me.

4 Likes

@Wild_Alaska Of the Kendal Brown homages, I unequivocally recommend Berwick Brown. The scent is perfectly balanced to me. It’s like a symphony with leather scent playing the brass, florals on strings, citrus playing the winds, all being conducted by the coarse ground hay and barnyard base tobacco.  (It’s a little bit poopy too, but in a good way if that makes any sense haha.)

Kendal Brown and the like have more historicity, and are delightful… but the back drip is very acrid. They are not identical, so you can certainly pick up more than one down the road.

4 Likes

I have to change now I tried the quit. It is just perfect. Have to order a biiiig bag of this.

6 Likes

@SHbickel I’m only 2 weeks in, so I’m still refining my methods, but I’m finding the finer powders (while harder for me to take) are more enjoyable overall because they don’t bother me if I’m spitting it out cause it went too high… Viking dark has a great flavor, I don’t like spitting it out…

5 Likes

Swallowing a tasty back drip is one of my guilty pleasures.   :">  It’s a good reason why I like SPs so much.

5 Likes

@SHbickel the backdrip from Honey Bee is the best part of taking that snuff.

4 Likes

The American sweet snuffs taste like powdered sugar! I can’t imagine that’s what they actually use, but it sure does taste like it.

2 Likes