Toque Rustica

Are there any other Toque snuffs which contain Rustica?

1 Like

USA W&H is the only one.

If you are interested in rustica-based snuffs, there quite a few are made by other manufacturers.

The strongest one is Janta Dragon Brand Madras snuff. Sadly, it’s been out of stock for a while.

The mildest one is Neffa Ifrikia.

6P LA Natural is medium strength plain rustica snuff. This snuff is a base of their Super Kailash and Mysore Sandalwood. Green Dragon / Begum Green are made from green rustica, a tad stronger than LAN / SK / MS.

Then, there are some SWS snuffs with rustica in the blend - Lundy Foot and St James Parish Blend, to mention but a few. The latter is one of the strongest snuffs on the market, on a par to Toque USA W&H. Some other SWS snuffs with rustica are low-potency (come non-alkalized, like Havana Toast).

Also, Mr Snuff has just launched three new rustica snuffs: Rusty Trombone, Rusty Nail and Iron Throne, they are available on mrsnuff.com store.

4 Likes

I mix the toque rustica with white elephant and ntsu black. 1 part of each. It hits me very good. And my tolerance is really high. It also tastes good.

3 Likes

Rusty Trombone?! I’m guessing they didn’t look that one up in Urban Dictionary before they printed the labels!  :))

5 Likes

:slight_smile: I wish I haven’t, @SHbickel… But snuff looks fine, the grind is on a coarser side and it’s probably oiled, if I get it right from the video posted on Snuff School channel. I naively thought that it stands for an old, hard-bitten conk…

Curious to know, is that connotation well/widely known in English-speaking countries?

5 Likes

And the Toque Ambrosia I think,contains some rustica.

3 Likes

@tobaccobob, I believed it did, too. But it was denied by Roderick.

3 Likes

@Volunge I’m British with a very wide vocabulary of those sort of words but I have never heard of a rusty trombone before! Curious to know the strength of the snuv rusticas and whether they are alkalised as you described earlier.

3 Likes

@volunge I doubt there is a person in Canada that doesnt know what a “rusty trombone” is :)) Its a very “cable TV friendly” way of saying it and widely used in sitcoms.

3 Likes

@volunge Where I live in the Pacific Northwest of the USA, I’d guess most people younger than 40-50 who aren’t prudish would understand it as a vulgar term.  It cracks me up.  (Pardon the pun.)  It’s a hilarious name for a ridiculous “move” and makes me laugh every time.

3 Likes

Thanks to all for your answers. Boy, do I enjoy learning English here! :slight_smile:

4 Likes

I can’t pretend to understand the following article but it has an interesting conclusion on the effectiveness of Rustica as an analgesic and anti-inflammatory remedy. https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/full/10.1080/13880200902896020

5 Likes

@Huysmans 

very interesting article. Thanks for that.

5 Likes

Gonna just take a break from the rest of the forum to concentrate on reading all @volunge ‘s comments for a while.

6 Likes

See you in a couple of years!   :))

5 Likes

There are very few of my questions that haven’t been comprehensively answered by @volunge somewhere in this forum!

3 Likes

@Volunge going back a bit in this conversation you mentioned that strong and extra strong Snuffs could be boosted with the addition of 1/3 Rustica. Which Snuffs would you class in this category? Would it work with something like Silky Dark?

3 Likes

@Huysmans, it would work with Silky, yes. And any other snuff, abundant in alkalis - Indian white snuffs, guls, Madras, stronger SPs (Gold Label and Grand Cairo).

But you can easily turn that raw rustica powder to snuff, following formulas posted on Snuff making 101 thread, and use it as a stand-alone snuff or as a mixer.

6 Likes

Thanks @Volunge I followed the instructions and alkalised some of the raw Rustica with Sodium Carbonate and wow it certainly packed a punch. Lots of ammonia and in terms of strength a night and day difference from the raw flour. I have now tried mixing the raw Rustica with Silky Dark and KB Scented and yes it works really well.

4 Likes

I also followed the instructions, 3 days ago, and yes … wow! Very strong indeed! I too will be mixing it with other snuffs for sure

4 Likes