Review: Bernard Gekachelter Virginie

@Readburd : Okay, now I think most mysteries behind Gekachelter Virginie had been cracked!

2 Likes

Im thinking of getting some of this, i’m worried about the smokey description after trying 6 photo MG Madras which reminded me too much of cigarette ashes.

If this is smokey like a campfire i could probably enjoy it but if it is reminiscent of cigarette ashes probably not.

Whats the consensus here?

3 Likes

I enjoy the Gekachelter Virginie regularly and I was a heavy smoker in former times. The smoky smell of the GV does not remind me of cigarette ashes. It is really enjoyable. So you do not have to worry about it. It is nice. Campfire is a good association in my opinion.

4 Likes

I just ordered a box of this yesterday. I have enjoyed it several times over the last ten years. It sticks out to me as a good traditional, pure tobacco unscented snuff. The aroma, grind and moisture are all excellent.

4 Likes

I don’t exactly get notes of Latakia, but the other associations above, I agree with. Great, no-nonsense tobacco when I’m not looking for the flavored SP and medicated snuffs I normally take. I can see buying multiple boxes of this stuff, vac-sealing and freezing to have a steady supply. Kind of messy to take; I need to have my nose relatively clear to be able to hold this in my nose.

4 Likes

I love this one. It is very close to viking brown for my nose.

4 Likes

This is my go to when I can’t find any KB Original.

4 Likes

I like it also a lot. A good plain snuff for me.

Gekachelt means Smoked AFAIK.

4 Likes

The name means tile ground according to my sister in law who lives in Germany.

4 Likes

Or… maybe “stoved” (Gekachelter)?

Der Kachelofen:

Der Kachelofen - kachelofenwelt.de

4 Likes

All I really know is that I like this snuff. I have a fresh batch right here.

4 Likes

Hey guys, I have read a lot about Bernards Virginie but havent tried it yet.

I am a fan of plain Kendal tobacco snuffs.

How does Bernards Virginie compares in aroma and nicotine to Viking snuffs? (like Viking Brown or Dark Rappee)?

3 Likes

A must to try for any plain snuff lover, @ALLex. I don’t find it as strong as old SG Viking Dark / Silky Dark, or the KBs, but it is stronger than Babaton, for sure. Some cons of GV: rather drippy and contains paraben as preservative (minuscule amount; I’m just irritated by the mere fact of its presence in this snuff, for I’m sure it can be made without it, just slightly tweaking the formula).

As far as the smokiness goes, I don’t find it smoky. Maybe just a very slight whiff there, unobtrusive at all. Either my nose is too weared out to detect such light smokiness, or it’s actually absent there, and most guys are misguided by the colour alone (think, black = smoky…).

On another hand, KB Plain (or was it Scented, I don’t remember anymore) I have found quite smoky after… washing the salts out and re-drying it. I have tried to calculate the total amount of salts in that snuff… I failed, but the resulting up-front smokiness of the washed out and dried flour took me by surprise. It was as smoky as Tops scotch (and in its genuine shape said KB wasn’t smoky to my nose).

3 Likes

Very interesting, me too i cant detect so much smokiness in English coarse snuff like Viking snuffs. 

More like an earthy-grassy-tarmac-leathery-tobacco type of smell, which i very much like. 

I really like that tarmac type of black ink aroma that is hidden in some rappees. 

I also agree with your views on paraben.

I was worrying if Virginie would be weak in nicotine but you reassured me when you said it is stronger than Babaton! I was not hoping to be equal strong as Viking but at least not a weak snuff (though Vikings used to be stronger when manufactured by Samuel Gawith, now that Wilsons make them I find them not as strong as they used to be).

I am definitely gonna order some Virginie!

2 Likes

My thoughts on this (and I’m figuring it is “stoved” but I did read the discussion beforehand, but if anyone has more info correct me please!):

As the name implies, this is 100% Virginia tobacco, and on the back of the pack it says (translated from German): “Snuff tobacco produced according to a tried and tested recipe using high-quality raw tobacco from arable farming areas of the best provenance, aromatically packaged” Tin notes are charcoal, smoked hardwood, leather, sweet grass, and earth. Correct me if I’m wrong, but I believe it’s been “stoved”, not dark fired in barns, which allows the tobacco flavor to come through a little more clearly. Although this is produced by Bernard’s it is NOT a schmalzler, there’s no paraffin oil and one can tell the differences right away. It reminds me of the Sharrow-made Viking Dark Rappee somewhat, but is far easier to take without the hellacious burn. In the nose, the sweetness dissapates and the earth, grass and leather come to the forefront. Unlike a true “dark fired” the leaf taste still comes through in a big way. Nicotine is there but not overwhelming, and it is safe to chain-pinch. I’d give it a 6 or 6.5 out of 10 in strength on the Squinty scale. I don’t feel it’s as strong as the Bernard schmalzler I have on hand. If you are a fan of dark snuffs and rappees, this is a must try.

4 Likes

Yep, that is correct. It is stoved (as the German name implies). I like it especially as a blending component, but it’s certainly solid straight as it sits.

The rumor is that Bernard will be going out of business next year due to not being able to manage the new EU tobacco regulations (halting production in May, 2024)*, but Roderick Lawrie (of Toque Snuff fame) recently mentioned that he was in “talks” with them to acquire their recipes, so there is that I suppose.**

*Schnupftabak – Wikipedia (s.v. sec. “Gebrüder Bernard”).
**Simply Snuff! | Facebook

3 Likes

Oh man, that’s be a bummer. I’ll check the links. Hopefully Roderick continues them on if that is the case. Also, I love the Wiki page you showed me, way more information than the regular English page.

3 Likes

I was eating some of my Jack Links Teriyaki Beef Jerky which is smoked and it tastes how the Gekachelter smells, funnily enough! It’s strange how you can notice things like that in snuffs. So I will add, smoked beef jerky also to the descriptor :grinning:

2 Likes

This is a very good snuff! I tried it many years ago, and have been had it amongst my favorite snuff ever since. One 50 gram bag of it usually lasts me about three months, as I don’t use it daily. I have other dark snuffs that I take more frequently, and occasionally I mix a little Viking Scotch Dark with some Virginie, they go well together.

4 Likes

Sorry so late to this but am I correct that this is oiled?

2 Likes