OT What Are You Reading?

Just started The Power and Glory by Graham Greene. Just finished Sweet Thursday by John Steinbeck. Steinbeck is my comfort reading, like eating grilled cheese, or watching reruns of the Simpsons.

2 Likes

The Book of Matthew

3 Likes

I’m a big reader, but for some reason I haven’t been reading much while on lockdown. A typical year I read 150-180 books but this year it looks like I’ll be finishing 35.  I just started Octavia Butler’s Kindred tonight.

I’m looking forward to the newly released Ray Bradbury compilation Killer, Come Back to Me.  It’s a collection of his crime fiction. I’ll be honest, I didn’t even know he wrote crime fiction, but it’s one of my favorite genres in recent years.

2 Likes

Jadoo by John Keel

2 Likes

Mr. Mercedes by Mr. Stephen King

2 Likes

At the time I’m reading the Kalevala. A finish Epos. I‘m interested in old north mythology.

3 Likes

The Golem by Gustav Meyrink and before that,it was Los detectives salvajes by Roberto Bolano and 2666 also by Bolano.

4 Likes

Neuromancer, William Gibson.

5 Likes

Latest edition of In-Fisherman magazine just dying for the ice to form =((

2 Likes

Bundesliga by Ronald Reng. Really got into German football last year, it’s a great read so far

3 Likes

Book of Genesis 

6 Likes

The Daily Telegraph

2 Likes

The Cyberiad by Stanislaw Lem

As with most Lem I’ve read, it’s playfully written. His writing is so bizarre in its ability to (often) make little sense in the micro, and PROFOUND sense in the macro.  He is a wordsmith in a tier all his own, as if Kierkegaard wrote fiction.  He is at many times prophetic, and always insightful into the baser motivations and proclivities of man.  Truly a remarkable brain.

The Futurological Congress is still my favorite of his, though.

5 Likes

V. by Thomas Pynchon.

2 Likes

Austerlitz by W.G.Sebald

2 Likes

The Count of Monte Christo, what a ripping yarn it is too.

4 Likes

@Betty_BW  Mmm, The Count of Monte Cristo is dang near lascivious for those who enjoy the catharsis of a good revenge story.

3 Likes

@SHbickel how right you are. 

2 Likes

Working my way through the short stories of JG Ballard: sort of the Toque Cheese and Bacon of writers in that you love him or hate him, I’ve never met anyone who thought he was just OK!

3 Likes

Finished The Egyptian by Mika Waltari. A wonderful example of well-researched historical fiction!

1 Like