Snuff Storage

Although new to the sport, I am finding that I like snuff quite a bit and have begun ordering larger quantities of a few blends that I really cotton to. As a pipe smoker, I am familiar with storing tobacco in Mason jars. My technique for pipe tobacco cellaring to ensure a positive seal on jars is to fill with tobacco (leaving a little headspace at the top), popping the jars into a preheated oven for 5 minutes (425* F/215* C), removing the heated jars and screwing on the lids. I’ve found this a foolproof way to ensure a good seal as the lids are sucked down, creating a vacuum as the jars (and tobacco) cool. What is your method for producing a good seal on Mason jars of snuff? My assumption is the exposure to heat may be more detrimental to snuffs than pipe tobacco as most pipe tobacco is quite moist, so it can weather the 5 minutes at high temp to no ill effect. Do you just screw the lid on at room temp, store and eventually the tobacco eats up the oxygen inside, creating a pressure differential that pulls the lid down, or are you using heat treatment (whether oven, hot water bath, etc)? Thanks for your help.

I personally don’t use heat treatment. I take care to ensure the jars and implements are clean, but beyond that I just screw the lid on and throw it in a small fridge. My collection is about five years old with absolutely no impact to freshness.

I bought my dark amber bottles from Freund Container (now Berlin Packaging). They have wide-mouth openings in several sizes. The rubber-lined lids screw on tight and make a great seal.  (I always get a hiss when opening after a time.)

https://www.berlinpackaging.com/pharmaceutical-healthcare/

Cheers, and happy snuffing.

4 Likes

Well - I dont use mason jars at all.

I bought a vacuum sealing device. For about 25 EUROs at the Bay. The plastic bags are not disposable and can be used several times, to avoid plastic garbage.

IMO the worst enemy of snuff is air flow and temperature change. I only put it in the tins in the plastic bags and seal them. Then it is done. Store it in an old shoebox in the cellar where the temperature is rather the same.

The snuff keeps fresh for ages. Logically no problems with airing out inside the bags.

When I want a fresh box I only slice a bag open and reseal it again. Several boxes for one bag is a good way to go.

All my personal experiences.

6 Likes

Definitely appreciate the input. I’ve got jars and a vac sealer for food storage, anyway, so time to experiment!

2 Likes

Keep in mind that moist snuffs such as WoS Best Dark,F&T Santo Domingo etc.,will corrode the original tins from the inside…so you’ll have to store them in glass jars.

3 Likes

Just got some F&T Bordeaux and Princes Special. Are they found to be corrosive as well? Who knows what tomorrow brings, but I could see those being something I dip into much more rarely.

2 Likes

I keep my dark moist snuffs in a zip lock baggy and when they get a little dry, I add a sliver of carrot or apple, once in a while I add a few drops of distilled water, mix it in, and voila, refreshed snuff. I have a few vintage high dry toasts that are probably 60 years old that I keep in the original tins, including a one pound tin of Gallagher Irish toast that I bought from a guy in Australia. It was unopened and still good though the toasted scent has faded.

3 Likes