Viking Dark --- they changed it?!

Okay what is going on in the world? I bought some viking dark a few weeks ago which was different to the good ole viking I used to buy months ago!

At the time I thought it was some sort of cross contamination with viking spearmint! But then today I received some more and low and behold! It’s different, with that same spearmint undertone and not so smokey, and it certainly doesn’t smell like a vacuum cleaner no more! 

What is the world coming to?!!? 

It isn’t a bad snuff, just not the same…I’m gutted.

This happened ages ago. I think when SG and G&H merged, but I’m not sure. I bought 2 500g tubs not knowing it’d be different than I was expecting. But it’s still good snuff, just had to get used to it.

yup different now. i have some old and new and it’s definitely not the same. good still but not the same

1 Like

I threw a couple on my last order but have not tried one yet. I will be very upset if there is s spearmint taste. Will report back.

Yeah I’m kind of disappointed with it. It’s still a good snuff but it’s not the same as the original. I’ve been living abroad for a year so I haven’t bought it until recently so I didn’t realise they had changed it. And there’s definitely a spearmint smell to it…

I contacted My Smoking Shop.  They said they haven’t changed the recipe, but there are seasonal variations due to it being an all natural tobacco.  

2 Likes

and people wonder why there aren’t more unscented natural snuffs. Well these days people seem addicted to certainty and consistency.

4 Likes

My smoking shop told me the same thing about the recipe not changing. And it has been consistent for a long time, almost since it first came out.

Yeah,the recipe is consistent but the price is not!

:stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Honestly I do not believe that it is only a question of seasonal variations. I belive they have changed the recipe and also the manufactorer. If I take the Samual Gawith Silky Dark which is sold by snuffstore.de I always geht the old smoky Viking Dark aroma. The new Viking Dark  is milder and is missing the smoky earthy scent for me. 

2 Likes

Yeah I agree, the last few times I had it it’s been different and I don’t think it’s a seasonal thing either. It’s a shame, it used to be really good.

2 Likes

Yes, it is a shame. That

1 Like

Yes, it

1 Like

I realised this as well. VD changed pretty much, IMO. I havent tried it in the  new tins though. Maybe now it is a more stable tobacco. But the Thors Hammer didnt change during the last year. At I didnt realise any differenvce.

@Uwe - try to avoid apostrophes and stuff like that. The forum software doesnt like it, it seems.

2 Likes

I am so glad that there is the Sam Gawith Silky Dark, which is pretty much the same as the old Viking Dark. I really like it.

I have asked mrsnuff, if they will take in in stock, but have no answer yet.

2 Likes

I just got two 500 g tins of dark, and immediately picked up a very subtle mintyness as well, and immediately did a double take at the label to make sure they had sent me the correct product. it was fresh out of the can, so i chalked it up to needing to air a bit, but then saw this post. I hope this snuff hasn’t changed, because its my all day staple along with Viking Brown.

Uwe i haven’t had Silky Dark, but thanks for the recommendation. I’ll have to order some and see if it scratches that same itch. Nothing goes better with morning coffee or evening stout than a pinch of pure, smokey, dark tobacco. 

2 Likes

@RainDog For me SG Silky Dark is very very similar if not identical to the old Viking Dark. Another one that gives me these “pure, smoky, dark tobacco”-feeling is the Gekachelter Virginie from Bernard.

2 Likes

I have this local shop around where they sell lot of old stock snuff. Last time I bought Viking Dark there it was dated 2017. PM me if interested :wink:

3 Likes

I’m still upset about Black Rappee being discontinued. I was told the Viking dark Rappee is identical but it’s not. It’s good but I can tell it’s not been matured in a barrel for a year like the original.

1 Like

Had this kinda thing happen to me with taxi red . Cracked it open and I could faintly smell spearmint . And very very slight menthol on the nose on taking it .
It seems to have wore off now around a month later .