Go back in time and give yourself advice on snuff

@ar47 toddler, for some reason we cant get the smell of pure ammonia out of the diaper inserts. Its worse sometimes than others, however both ntsu and taxi have the same raw ammonia smell. As soon as I snuff it I immediately think of diapers. Its a serious olfactory response problem lol

3 Likes

@Snuffalufagis I sympathize! My wife has a new air freshener she likes that to me smells like cat poo. There’s a scent I think in her air freshener that is used in some kitty litters, and the association makes me smell the aromas I’ve come accustomed to be along with that kitty litter scent.

3 Likes

Firstly I would not overorder! Back in day I would order a couple of snuffs that I like along with dozens of new tries, the result was always the same: rarely would the new 

3 Likes

snuffs

2 Likes

surpass what i actully ike. I only use one flavour these days.

2 Likes

Bloody laptop

3 Likes

@Sir_Rodney_Ffing too late for that one! I have soooooo much snuff at the moment! That’s all right. I have just bought a mini fridge for storage until I can get around to all of it!

3 Likes

@brandaves Im not sure if the fridge is really reqired to assure fresh condition. If you store in airtight containers, theres no way they will loose any moisture or scent (no air flow). I even seal some tins with electrical tape around after use, but thats probably overkill

3 Likes

@Johano that’s good to know! I have decanted the more moist ones that use water as opposed to oil (Viking). I have a few Bernard tap boxes but I think they are oil moistened. I’m not worried about the Indian stuff as it seems dryer then a trustworthy fart to begin with. Most everything is still sealed and I’m currently storing them all in a cooler in my basement. Maybe I’ll keep them there.

3 Likes

@brandaves Come to think of it brandaves buying lots of sniffs at once is part of a very important process, it is a snuffers way of eliminating what we like and what we can do without. I gradually dropped certain types of snuffs and ended up with just a few. Then, I dropped the few and ended up with one and that one is my snuff. It was by trying lots of snuff that I found Crumbs of Comfort and I am totally addicted to the one. Its my only sniff, none other will do. Others find this odd at times, to think that only one snuff is it, but for me that’s the way it is. As far a decanting is concerned I first go hold of a small mustard spoon for shovelling the snuff into a snuff box. I then tend to buy the favourite in packs of 12 medium tins and for the decanting vessel I use a very high quality jam jar. If you buy a good conserve the jam often comes in a decorative jar that not only looks the part but is also airtight! I then put a couple of tins in the jar and leave the other tins sealed, that way you can use a couple of decanted tins before popping another couple of tins into the jar. As far as snuff boxes go, a search on eBay for coin boxes will bring up some excellent modern coin boxes that do not cost the earth. If you are in the UK Wilsons of Sharrow also have a great site with things on as does Mr Snuff if you are elsewhere.

2 Likes

P.S Soak the jar in warm water to remove the labels and the jar looks a lot better!

2 Likes

@Sir_Rodney-Ffing Sir_Rodney Ffing Thank you for the advice. As for the jars, I am a pipe smoker so have a nice stock of Ball/Kerr/Mason jars on the ready for storing tobacco. For snuff boxes, I couldn’t really find any that I liked anywhere. I ended up ordering several of the plastic tap/pinch boxes from My Smoke Shop online. I haven’t received them yet but I have high hopes they will serve well. I did buy a nice horn box that will require some repair. The hinge and top close secure but there are a few holes in the bottom. I have several horn blanks which I use for straight razor restoration, the dust from those plus a bit of epoxy should do the trick nicely. I’ve heard that the coin boxes are deceptively small and difficult to pinch from if you have large fingers so I’ve avoided them, I may have to reconsider.

I’m currently working my way through my collection and taking notes as I go along. I currently don’t have any WoS snuff, an oversight I intend to remedy with my next order. Crumbs of Comfort will certainly be among those ordered. Any other insight or advice you might have is certainly welcome! I’m in the United States BTW so shipping and avaialbility can be an issue here.

2 Likes

My path certainly took buy-it-all route and I’d do it again. Frankly… I have snuffs from a couple years ago and they’re certainly still enjoyable if not at their prime. I’ve ordered most every possible snuff I could online, and sometimes in bulk and/or many years old because that was what was available and I needed to order. I spread the buying over about a year. I’ve been snuffing for a little over two years now though and still don’t have a consistent go-to snuff. Recently it’s been a lot of Toque offerings but with a constant churn through maybe 10 different “flavors” and from toast to Schmalzler to his regular. And with them I’ve been enjoying SWS Tears, Hedges L260 and SG SCT KB too! After buying and trying hundreds of snuffs I have a few favorites but being favorites doesn’t give them the lion’s share of my consumption - that’s still widely spread. Anything from Quit or Rocket I’d feel comfortable not revisiting, but otherwise I’d do all the buying again :slight_smile:

3 Likes

@ar47 I’m with you on Quit. I bought some and I’ve had success blending it 20%/80% with other Toque tobaccos. Right now I’m taking 20% Rustica/80% Lime Toast and it’s delicious. My biggest snuff gap that needs filling is WoS. I haven’t tried an WoS offerings yet. I’ve been enjoying Toque out of the mini bullets so I currently have an order out for 12 of those as well as 4 or 5 tap/pinch snuff boxes from My Smoke Shop. Once both those orders arrive I might look into ordering some WoS offerings.

1 Like

@brandaves I actually was referring to a brand of snuff, Quit. I have their Jasmine and it’s terrible! I don’t know if they are still around

2 Likes

@ar47 hmm, I’ve never heard of Quit…not really unusual since I’m new to snuff.

2 Likes

Or QWS (quit with snuff) I believe a house brand from Mr Snuff. The Sandalwood was not bad.

3 Likes

Always remember not to wipe your nose on the back of your hand having recently sniffed dark coloured snuff. 

3 Likes

@Betty_BW I have done this recently…I shook my head at my stupidity and pulled out my hanky.

3 Likes

Do not stock up on too much of fragrant and perfumed snuffs since they will never be your all day every day snuffs when your tastes mature. Stocking up on plain, toasted and Madras snuffs will be better.

Do not store moist snuffs in their original tins. Always decant.   

4 Likes