Your Favorite Toast (and why...)

F&T HDT for the buttery campfire happiness.  Different noses, different batches, and/or different tin qualities it seems regarding WoS IHT No22.  My first tin of it was just awesome and I really couldn’t tell it apart from HDT, but the next one I opened wasn’t as rich, and was almost as plain as what @smm was talking about up there.  
*Toque Lime Toast gets an honorable mention because I love lime, and it’s the best of both worlds.  Lucky for me it doesn’t remind me of any kind of cleaning product like it does for some others.  

1 Like

HDT is great, but for some reason I prefer the Tranter #21 I bought. It isn’t buttery or nutty or smokey–it’s just this wonderfully balanced plain tobacco snuff. The moisture when it was fresh was just right. I used to take about six pinches in a row, sit back and get ready to be run over by the N Train. Wonderful stuff. I never tried the Wilson of Sharrow #21 to see if it was the exact same or not.

1 Like

A great description of HDT @SeanOCDPx. Toque’s Lime Toast is my favourite citrusy toast, closely followed by Toque’s Marmalade. Almond Toast is another wonderful example of how Toque have mastered hybrid toasts. Tranter #21 sounds right up my street Mike_B. Will have to try it.

2 Likes

@Nulliverse:  you’re going to need a time machine to get it–I don’t think they’ve made it for a few years now.

Shame @Mike_B! Regarding #22, I definetly think it has an earthy, leathery thing going on (something I like about it). Another thing that I’m really enjoying at the moment, though not really a toast, is Toque’s Silver Dollar Scotch. It has the nuttiness of HDT and the leather of #22, but combined with a distinctive scent of cigar tobacco.

WoS IHT #22 is probably the most potent

F&T HDT is the easiest to use

Toque Natural Toast has the best kick

Samuel Gawith Irish D lasts longest 

That’s all I’ve had out of the toast-named snuffs.  The first one I had was Irish D, which is probably my staple

-Lance

3 Likes

Toque Cherry menthol

2 Likes

I think toque natural toast is my favorite, Irish 22 a close second.

3 Likes

Toque lime toast is my all day snuff. I graduated to snuffing only fine toasts and this is a fantastic citrus snuff with the perfect moisture level for me. The scent will mellow after a short while in the tins and honestly is so good I have 18x 25g tins heading my way from various sources - if USPS ever gets to them.

3 Likes

@Nikolaos wrote “Toque Cherry menthol”  wrong thread…  :smiley:

There are many good toasts around…  Difficult to answer.

Toque Almond,Natural,Lime

SWS Hanana,Lundy foot…

F&T HDT

Difficult to answer.

1 Like

Update and edit:

Dholakia Madras Toast is an Indian toast, not totally compatible with English toasts as it uses a different kind of tobacco.  I like it but it isn’t something I can use often.  I really dislike n.rustica because I can’t use it often and apparently this snuff has it, but that’s all right.  I can still use it when I need it.  (I guess it builds up in my system and stops working right away)

Remembering Fribourg & Treyer High Dry Toast, it seemed to lack nicotine which made me snuff so much that I was stuffed up before I got a decent kick.  Most of the time I couldn’t taste the flavor either, which put me off it a bit.  Not that I won’t revisit it because I think I shall, but not for the kick; to try to find the flavor

Samuel Gawith Irish D was my first and is so far my favorite toast.  It has a persistent flavor that doesn’t confuse one’s sense of smell and is well-balanced.  I don’t get any hint of smoke flavor like I’ve seen mentioned here.  It’s more like toffee, but only if used all day and by the end of the day I’ll taste it.  It’s very nice to me.  It also doesn’t taper so fast and leave you wanting more in 10 or 15 minutes like I experience with some other toasts.  I think the feeling and flavor last about an hour with a tolerance and longer without

Wilsons of Sharrow Irish High Toast No.22 packs a punch.  I think it hits the fastest out of all the toasts I’ve tried, but in 20 or 30 minutes you may need to re-up to keep it going.  I don’t mind the flavor.  It reminds me of butter more than the others, but no smoke taste either.  I guess I don’t find toasts smokey.  This one is taken purely for the nicotine even though the flavor is quite good, it sits in the background.  After an hour or so I don’t notice the taste.  However it has a nice texture which makes it pleasing to me.  You just don’t know where it’s going to go and then it’s surprising when it hits.  I like it

Toque Natural Toast is complex.  I can’t figure out what it is, but I don’t particularly care for it aside from the nicotine.  It just clogs my nose right up.  Not smokey but interesting, doesn’t last long in my nose (maybe 10 minutes).  To be fair I’ll say it’s a curiosity to me but not a snuff that I’d associate with nicotine potency.  It’s definitely a unique snuff I can’t figure out 

2 Likes

Toasts may be my favorite subspecialty under the greater snuff umbrella. The first toasts i fell in love with were from Toque… though i enjoy Toast and Marmalade and Almond Toast, both Natural Toast (sweet, nutty, aromatic) and Lime Toast (like Natural but with a bit of a refreshing bite) remain in constant rotation to this day.

If we are restricting the discussion here to non artisanal products only, I will mention some more that others before me have discussed. WoS IHT No.22 is a nice offering, though for me it is quite plain and lacks some of the nuance making other toasts such standout selections.

Dr. Rumneys Brown has been a nice treat. It feels to me like the Brown is most like Natural Toast but with added layers of creaminess giving it a smoother finish. Definitely a must try!

F&T HDT is wonderful, too, as many before me have mentioned. I wont repeat the same information.

Some may disagree with me, by Viking Blonde has always borne so much resemblance to a toast like Natural Toast or Dr.Rumneys Brown that I have always considered it one. Its quite similar to the Brown… sweet, nutty, earthy, touch of creaminess with a hint of butter as well. Great contender.

2 Likes

@Vaya I have WoS Dr. Rumney’s Brown.  I think it’s a hybrid of toasted and non-toasted tobacco, but I enjoy taking it too.  I wonder if there are other snuffs like that that aren’t named toasts or even pure toasts.  I want to try them all

3 Likes

HDT- a good all day snuff

Toque W and H- pretty unique scent and good nic hit

4 Likes

Bringing back an old thread to touch base with you guys on todays toasts. Does our old favourite F&T HDT still reign supreme? I’m still gravitating towards this and Toque’s Natural Toast, but am open to suggestions.

I don’t know how long F&T HDT has been around, but I suspect it’s older than most active constitutions.  (The 10th eldest of which, Canada, is from 1867.)

It’s a safe bet HDT’ll remain the top choice for another couple hundred years!

2 Likes

Just tried Toque natural toast for the first time. Must say it’s jumped up my list of favorites. HDT, however, takes the crown both for flavor and usability.

3 Likes

Well put @SHbickel! I simply can’t imagine anything topping HDT… but I’m open to suggestions.

Agreed @BeavisMalverde. It was actually Natural Toast that got me into toasts. It’s Toque through and through in it’s ease of use but can really hold it’s own in flavour.  

3 Likes

For me it’s a toss up between Irish 22 and F&T HDT. I like how the Wilson’s cans you don’t have to decant to use it, you can get your fingers into the F&T tubes but they do have a really sophisticated look.

7 Likes

It’s good to see that Irish 22 is still up there @Brandasaur. Times have changed so much since I got into snuff, but it’s reassuring to know that quality toasts remain timeless :slight_smile:

5 Likes