Go back in time and give yourself advice on snuff

@brandaves over buying is wise! I will hopefully see my orders come in and then I will have a handsome collection indeed! Thanks @volunge for the insight, that was a good read :slight_smile:

3 Likes

@Gunnar I actually placed another order last night and none of my previous orders have been delivered yet. A comment you made actually prompted me to place an order for Toque Lime Toast. I also purchased some HDT and Spanish Gem out of curiosity.

2 Likes

Oh…and some Rustica for blending. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

@brandaves Toque lime toast is lovely. When it arrives let the tin air for a short while to clear the ammonia. It is fine ground but excellent quality. I have a lonely almost empty tin of McChrystals lemon and it’s nowhere near as good. Where in the world are you based?

3 Likes

@Gunnar I’m in Kentucky USA…Tobacco central really. Although I only partake in snuff and pipe tobacco. You?

4 Likes

@brandaves just north of Denver CO here :slight_smile:

3 Likes

CO is a beautiful state! I haven’t spent much time there but driven through once. As for snuff, I was fortunate enough to get a two samples of snuff from a member on another forum I follow and I’ve been slowly working my way through those. I’m a pipe smoker mainly but between pipes or at work I like the quick nic hit and flavor of snuff. I have a small tin of McChrystal’s Warm Glow and an unknown snuff that seems to have a light peach flavor to it. I’m almost out of those two and I can hardly wait to get my orders here so I can sample more…its a lot of snuff so I shouldn’t want for variety or quantity for quite a while!

2 Likes

I’d say take the advice to air snuffs with perspective. Typically once you come accustomed the ammonia is actually a virtue

6 Likes

The ammonia still brings me right to dirty cloth diapers… Its really a shame cuz the hit is great

2 Likes

@snuffalufagis adult or baby dirtied? If baby, is it the squat wide Taxi Red tin specifically or all of them? Last winter I got a funky tub of Taxi Red and don’t know when I’ll try again

2 Likes

@ar47 toddler, for some reason we cant get the smell of pure ammonia out of the diaper inserts. Its worse sometimes than others, however both ntsu and taxi have the same raw ammonia smell. As soon as I snuff it I immediately think of diapers. Its a serious olfactory response problem lol

3 Likes

@Snuffalufagis I sympathize! My wife has a new air freshener she likes that to me smells like cat poo. There’s a scent I think in her air freshener that is used in some kitty litters, and the association makes me smell the aromas I’ve come accustomed to be along with that kitty litter scent.

3 Likes

Firstly I would not overorder! Back in day I would order a couple of snuffs that I like along with dozens of new tries, the result was always the same: rarely would the new 

3 Likes

snuffs

2 Likes

surpass what i actully ike. I only use one flavour these days.

2 Likes

Bloody laptop

3 Likes

@Sir_Rodney_Ffing too late for that one! I have soooooo much snuff at the moment! That’s all right. I have just bought a mini fridge for storage until I can get around to all of it!

3 Likes

@brandaves Im not sure if the fridge is really reqired to assure fresh condition. If you store in airtight containers, theres no way they will loose any moisture or scent (no air flow). I even seal some tins with electrical tape around after use, but thats probably overkill

3 Likes

@Johano that’s good to know! I have decanted the more moist ones that use water as opposed to oil (Viking). I have a few Bernard tap boxes but I think they are oil moistened. I’m not worried about the Indian stuff as it seems dryer then a trustworthy fart to begin with. Most everything is still sealed and I’m currently storing them all in a cooler in my basement. Maybe I’ll keep them there.

3 Likes

@brandaves Come to think of it brandaves buying lots of sniffs at once is part of a very important process, it is a snuffers way of eliminating what we like and what we can do without. I gradually dropped certain types of snuffs and ended up with just a few. Then, I dropped the few and ended up with one and that one is my snuff. It was by trying lots of snuff that I found Crumbs of Comfort and I am totally addicted to the one. Its my only sniff, none other will do. Others find this odd at times, to think that only one snuff is it, but for me that’s the way it is. As far a decanting is concerned I first go hold of a small mustard spoon for shovelling the snuff into a snuff box. I then tend to buy the favourite in packs of 12 medium tins and for the decanting vessel I use a very high quality jam jar. If you buy a good conserve the jam often comes in a decorative jar that not only looks the part but is also airtight! I then put a couple of tins in the jar and leave the other tins sealed, that way you can use a couple of decanted tins before popping another couple of tins into the jar. As far as snuff boxes go, a search on eBay for coin boxes will bring up some excellent modern coin boxes that do not cost the earth. If you are in the UK Wilsons of Sharrow also have a great site with things on as does Mr Snuff if you are elsewhere.

2 Likes