What snuff did you buy in your local store?

I can get snuff, but I cant get to the store that sells it, and I own it. Strange times.

3 Likes

Gletscher-Prise for 1.75 EUR a piece. (Hungary)

2 Likes

Ozona President. 3.3 EUR for 7 g tin…   8-|

2 Likes

Poschl LOWEN-PRISE. Very good price tho, different store than before

1 Like

Bernard Zwiefacher

3 Likes

WOS large tins of Grove, Best SP and SP100 newsagent/tobacconist in Carlisle City Centre before lockdown.

3 Likes

1 x Viking Thors Hammer 2 x Neffa Ifrikia 3 x Konigsprice Great shop, decent prices and wide selection! tmp-cam-2101151266940372370

2 Likes

WOW, what a selection! But wait a minute, is there a vac tin of J&H Top Mill in the very front, between a sachet of Dholakia Sparrow and 6 Photo Med.!!! You’ll definitely need to procure that one next time, @Johano! Even if it’s SP No. 1 or Medicated No. 99. If properly sealed, I can bet it’s still in a better shape than any currently made of that house either in 5 g boxes (all and any types - square box, round WoS-type tin or that nasty tap tin) or large 20 g WoS-type tins. What a rare find!.. These were made according to old recipe, which was much better than current J&H Ws.

And if they still have a 50 g carton of Bernard Feiner Offenbacher Cardinal, it’s a must to obtain as well. This one: https://imged.pl/tabaka-bernard-offenbacher-cardinal-50g-2761120.html

Even some Molens there, in the lower right corner. Beautiful…

2 Likes

This guy? This is medicated one right?
  Ad

I got some more pics @volunge. I am really curious about every single one, but my budget is limited and I have already bought plenty of snuffs that were dissapointment (most notably TAXI dead lol). So, yes any thoughts on what REALLY is worth buying is appreciated! :D

1 Like

SP No.1 is not medicated, it’s a great menthol-free SP-type snuff (when fresh). Last time I had it in vacuum tin 10 years ago… I can’t tell the year when J&H Wilson (to be more precise, Imperial Tobacco) discontinued their vac tins, but they did it somewhen between 2013/14 - 2015 (roughly). They still were around for a good while at some retailers’. Buying such tin would be a risky step, vacuum tins ensure 4 year shelf life. But these are some of the very last anywhere on sale now. When fresh, SP No. 1 is moist (moister than fresh Neffa - moisture content is about 18-20%) and reeking with ammonia, solid medium nicotine. It’s slightly scented with bergamot.

Your shop carries some snuffs which you won’t get anywhere online now (outside of Germany/Switzerland). For some strange reason snuffstore.co.uk/mrsnuff.com does not restock Scandinavian Tobacco snuffs - Kensington, the red tap box beneath GH CM tin in the bottom of the last photo, next to it - Rumney’s Export; Edelprise - green/yellow tap box between Dholakia Black and Dholakia White. If you like menthols, give Kensington a try someday. It’s fine, paraffin-free, very invigorating, even if not at its freshest. It has a background note of lavender and is more interesting than Hedges, menthol and eucalyptus level is on a par with H, nicotine level is a tad higher. My favourite menthol.

I’ll edit this post later this evening, add some more notes.

1 Like

@volunge hmm… maybe I could ask them to open one of the tins and check it next time I be there. Never tried any SP. This intrigues me a lot, didnt realised I am dealing here with snuff time travel phenomena!!

1 Like

Yes, have a talk with tobacconist. Tell him that these cans are long discontinued and now are past their expiration date. It’s not indicated on the tin, but actual 4 years shelf life of vacuum tins was disclosed by ex worker of J&H Wilson snuff mills. Worth noting, that old (dried-out) snuff, which originally comes moist, is not enjoyable after the moisture is lost. Moreover, some decades ago UK tobacconists returned old snuff stock to the manufacturer for reprocessing. This practice is now defunct/abandoned. So, you would like to check the state of the snuff, if it’s still moist/not musty/still has some ammonia and bergamot scent or at least to check if the vacuum seal isn’t broken (just try opening that J&H W SPcan - if it’s still sealed, you won’t open it without a coin).

Also, before buying anything, check the manufacturing date code of tins which have it. Wilsons of Sharrow/F&T/Wilsons’s of Sharrow Dr. Rumney’s tins have a date code on the bottom sticker - XXX XXA, last two digits indicate the year of manufacture. I wouldn’t buy anything older than two years (or even made pre-2019)… With the exception of Dr. Rumney’s BROWN, which is originally dryish (like older Neffa).

You already know how to decipher the mfg date code of Samuel Gawith / Gawith Hoggarth/ Viking snuffs.

Poschl and Bernard codes can be cracked only by manufacturers and it would be a hassle to do - you would need to send an inquiry by email… I did it once both with P and B and got the reply on the same or next day. Be careful with P and B, less popular snuffs might be stale. Steer clear of Poschl Gletsherprise GOLD, it’s stale, at least 3 or 4 years old (now it’s sold with different label - Gletscherprise EXTRA). Beautiful snuff with the shortest shelf life, unfortunately. I think they got both Gold and Extra there, if you are curious about this snuff, opt for Extra, should be safe to go.

41 Photo Himtaj tins (Brown/Golden and Black) most probably are stale (especially moister Black). Yellow Lilly is one of the blandest snuffs ever made on Earth. Honestly, I wouldn’t buy any Indian snuff there, with the exception of the White Elephant (order them from snuffstore.co.uk, expecting them more fresh).

Another super rare snuff, discontinued in 2018 years ago - THUNDER (tapbox). Interestingly, made by Swedish snus company V2. It came in awful tap boxes, always dried-out (imagine dried out Poschl…), but loaded with nicotine. Was sold pretty cheap at most places. Don’t expect quality, just massive nic.

Red Bull aromatic snuff sachet is nice snuff, very different from the RB in tap box. Way less menthol. Recommended!

Wilsons of Sharrow Dr. Rumney’s Brown is good plain snuff, you might enjoy it. It’s a mix of toast and plain snuff, very easy to take, grind is a tad coarser than that of most toasts, it’s not smoky or burned (not like a Madras which you are not too fond of), but nutty/biscuity. Worth trying, one of the best snuffs there, imho.

1 Like

Will do :slight_smile: thnx for all of the tips. Didnt know about reprocessing, I wonder how did they do that. You convinced me into trying some of them next time. Ive bought Thunder few months ago (in different shop) and indeed, it was dry as sand but not much nic as far as I remember. I tried Red Bull Aromatic but not a big fan of it. Im afraid of buying WoS here, wouldnt risk it second time if there wasnt mfg date… but its cheap after all. Will update soon.

2 Likes

Just went to local newsagent for a cople of tin of McCrystals original. Very nice too.

3 Likes

Konigsprise. Cheap snuff is good, because its cheap and good  :smiley:

1 Like

Redbull. Someone: How much menthol do you add? Poschl CEO: Yes.

3 Likes

I went to Landshut this morning, due work.

When I went back home I took a visit at Poschl factory in Geisenhausen and bought myself two tap boxes of Gletscher Prise. Really fresh and a nice treat. :slight_smile:

Geisenhausen is just about 60 kilometres from my doorstep.

5 Likes

@Humppa lucky you! Do they sell some kind of posters or cool Poschl gadgets for fans by any chance there?

1 Like

@johano There were no posters when I was there the last few times I was there, They had some of their flasks for sale. But I find the Bernard flasks cooler somehow. Maybe at Poschl they would sell stuff like merchandise like posters, shirts or whatsoever if someone asks. If I dont forget, I will ask the next time I be there.

2 Likes