Six Photo MG Madras

@Pikey where did you ordered? I just received email from snuffstore that its coming to me… Can’t wait to try it, hope it won’t be stale

1 Like

@Pikey @Johano me too i ve ordered it and i would probably have it in my mailbox this Friday!

Excited to try this snuff, its my first madras snuff.

1 Like

No chance of the snuff being stale lads , it’s a new product and not been on the shelves long enough :slight_smile: .

I did find it a touch drier than I’d like though . One of the joys of MG Madras is it’s a strong snuff that is easy to snort . So that’s why I’m wanting to oil the Dragon Madras up a bit before having a blast :slight_smile:

1 Like

MG madras is instant satisfaction but very short lived. The nature of the beast I suppose. Or maybe I don’t snuff enough at once because I feel satisfied after the first couple micro-pinches

2 Likes

@ar47, try packing your nose with MG like you would with a schmalzler in a Bavarian snuff taking contest. Well, maybe half of that amount, actually… Large pinches leaves me content for fairly long time.

@Pikey, the Dragon is indeed drier than MG, but it isn’t that dry as it seems. It never hit my throat, going through the freebie thimble. Interested to know, do you find it a tad sourish, too?

1 Like

@volunge what is this thimble??

@ar47, small plastic 8 g tub :slight_smile:

@sixphoto, any plans to supply mrsnuff/snuffstore with M.G. Madras in 35 g tins? I noticed this size is available in Russia, but it’s too complicated to order from Alexey. This would be the size of my choice, if it were stocked at MrS/SS.

Six Photo MG Madras 35 g tin

2 Likes

Mg Madras is packed only in 2 sizes 6g and 100 g . There is no plan to add another size anytime soon , since we have our hands full at the moment.  The same packing is supplied to Russia as well.

@sixphoto, Thanks for the reply. I got an impression Alexey re-packages some snuffs by himself, but wasn’t sure.

Just bought a 100g tin MG Madras, wondering if i have to store it in the fridge, anyone know?

Would likely take 2-3 months for me to finish it.

1 Like

@Bryceton certainly not necessary from my experience

1 Like

I remember fondly about a time approx three years back when @Gokul and I used to interact most about snuff. He was the one to let me know about Madras snuffs in general. Since then I had procured and used a few Madras snuffs like NB Madras and SVS Madras but their availability was an issue. I was also a newbie and favored snuffs with pronounced fragrance over plain snuffs. Over a period of time my preference just reversed.  

This is one of my all day every day snuffs and I have more than 300 grams stocked away in glass jars just in case the tins give up keeping it fresh. Was glad to keep in touch with Vikas @sixphoto over the development of this snuff and being a small part of his experiment and development cycle. Was truly humbled! I intend to never run out of this snuff.

6 Likes

May I ask: who is Monika Grover?  She must be pretty important to have earned her place on such a lovely snuff. I’ve done some searching but nothing stands out particularly.

1 Like

I think she is Vikas’ boss…:slight_smile:

2 Likes

Quite a few guys believe that M. G. is a Bollywood star ;). The inscription “INDIA STAR” gave them a “hint”, I suppose.

2 Likes

Silly me, googling when I should have been searching snuffhouse!  Per Vikas himself here:

“This MG snuff has been named in appreciation of  MONIKA GROVER , my wife for 23 years.”

3 Likes

The only Madras type snuff I have tried is Janta Dragon Madras.
How does 6photo MG Madras compare to it?
If anyone have tried them both I would love to read a comparison of the two.

Peace

1 Like

Noteworthy, neither of them is produced in Chenai, and are rather different from the genuine Madras snuffs a good bunch of which I had a chance to try. However, both are rather nice, different takes on the genre, therefore worth trying.

Just a word of warning, 6P Madras (in my experience) is more susceptible to degradation (drop in potency) in longer term – my last tin was disappointingly different from those ordered previously. The disappointing quality (potency drop) I can only explain by snuff age: I have noticed that it ran out of stock next day after I placed an order, and re-stocking took some time; so, it’s safe to assume that the last tin I received wasn’t of the “first freshness”, and I just had way better luck with those previously ordered ones). However, in all fairness, I wasn’t sure if the difference was merely down to snuff age (could be explained by the inevitable decomposition of ammonium carbonate in longer term, especially paired with calcium hydroxide) or rather due to batch variations (or even changed formula), and was just leaning towards the former explanation (for the sake of hope, solely, because I really enjoyed all my previously procured tins, large and thimbles, and dreaded to think that the manufacturer might have tweaked the recipe).

The most up-front difference between 6P and Janta Madras snuffs is tobacco. India Star Monika Grover Madras contains some fired component. I cannot say for sure if it’s actual Latakia (as claimed on manufacturer’s site – “Staying true to the age old tradition of Madras snuff industry this snuff is prepared by roasting the special blend of strong south Indian Burley and Latakia tobaccos”; for what it’s worth, tin label just states “Sun Cured Country Tobacco”) or not, but there’s a hint of smokiness a sweet character of which does resemble that of Lat, whereas Dragon Madras does not contain any fired component and is made from rustica (it actually feels stronger than M.G.). M. G. looks just a tad darker than D. M.

And one last thing to note - M. G. Madras does not contain actual dairy ghee (confirmed by the manufacturer).

3 Likes

Mg Madras is a darker tobacco and a bit easier to take. More cigarish and rich with also a buttery smooth tinge. You feel a distinct pulse in the nose from the nicotine probably also from the slaked lime. At first the smell threw me off but after adjusting it’s a fantastic snuff and I wish I had got the bigger 100g tin haha. Dragon is a bit harsher and more like a cigarette tobacco style ashiness, and I’d dare say a tad bit stronger, but they both are on the list of top strongest Snuffs out there. Both are unlike any Snuffs I’ve had before but these are the only madras I’ve tried. Hope this helps some! I may try to do a video review of it soon before I run out

3 Likes