Friendly Survey. Is Snuff Harmless?

also found being more gentle and slow about nose blowing also helps.

3 Likes

@bob Yes indeed.

3 Likes

@volunge I’m curious to know more about the connection between nasal snuff and dental health. Can you say more?

2 Likes

@thats_the_snuff, well, my point is simple - upper deck is relatively close to the sinuses. While the distance varies from person to person, some have a sinus floor very close to their tooth roots.

Please take my worries with a grain of salt, buddy. I’m having a number of issues with my teeth, which all started in my childhood/early teen years, well before I got into tobacco. A classic case of dental fear and anxiety here.

2 Likes

When I enjoy quite a bit of snuff I can feel my heart beat in my front teeth, such as right now

3 Likes

@volunge I feel you… That’s why I asked :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: Have always found dental issues difficult to deal with, although recently after having found a great dentist, I’m comforted.

3 Likes

Nothing is harmless. Something’s gotta kill you someday, and I honestly doubt that snuff will be what does me in. As far as tobacco goes, I believe snuff is less harmful than many other methods of consumption. In fact, I believe that non-combusted tobacco- smokeless- is much less dangerous than the public opinion seems to think. Is it harmless? No. It would be foolish to suggest otherwise. But it’s a hell of a lot less harmful than cigarettes.

4 Likes

@thatotherguy thanks! Agreed.

3 Likes

I think snuff is relatively safe not only in comparison to dip/smoke/vape but also in comparison to a bunch of other things we come in contact with everyday. 
 Having a unhealthy diet is more dangerous than having a snuff habit in my opinion. 

Drinking alcohol or sitting around a campfire probably causes more harm than snuff. 

Im not really worried about either of those (except unhealthy diet) so im not really worried about snuff either.

5 Likes

@mycelium thanks! All good points.

3 Likes

I would not really say harmless… but there is much worse out there.

Honestly, I

@Humppa for some reason comments get deleted if you use certain characters on certain devices. Try to avoid apostrophes and other special characters when typing especially if your using ios.

@rostanf Thanks for the advice… but I use a simple Windows laptop… and did not use any apostrophes or something like that.

Like any habit that has some negative consequences users tend to rationalize them. While I think the studies on nasal snuff have been inconclusive due to the small percentage of actual users I would surmise that some exposure to cancer does exist but probably much smaller than other tobacco use. I can say personal that some snuffs have effected my sense of smell etc. in a slightly negative way but not enough to make me want to stop anytime soon. I think with anything a person can adjust their use in a way, for many substances, that lessens negative impact. I try not for example to have any tobacco residue in my nose when I sleep.

3 Likes

@volunge Yeah I had a ‘cavity’ filled by a dentist because my nostril was inflamed and causing tooth pain there and I naively trusted the dentist.  3 years later same thing happened, same tooth, this time dentist claiming cavity on the other side.  I got suspicious, had the office email me the two xrays, saw no evidence of cavities.  Been more cautious with my nostrils and the tooth pain has 95% resolved itself.  Lesson learned, never blindly trust dentists.

2 Likes

Not harmless, but far from the most hazardous thing I do. Exposure levels must be considered too. I consume far more sugar and fat than I do snuff for example. I dread to think how much traffic fumes I consume per month. I am also an occasional smoker, by which I mean less than 25g a month. My snuff use isn’t much higher than that, so whilst not completely harmless, in the grand scheme of things it is nothing for me to be concerned about.

4 Likes

I am not sure if it is an effective or fair form of argument to list all the other things which are more harmful so as to make snuff seem innocuous. Snuff is certainly harmful although yes in a minor way and as adults should readily admit that and come to the conclusion if harmful effects of snuff are enough to effect our quality of life in a negative way. Aside from blood pressure and what not, I know I am not alone to at times to feel a negative impact on my nasal passages (waking up stuffy etc.) and through trial and error have mostly illuminated the snuffs which I negatively react to. With all this said I enjoy my wee habit a lot, enough not to overthink my usage most days…and would say it might have a positive impact on stress at times as it offers a little escape from the grind of life in it.s own peculiar way.

2 Likes

I don’t think its unfair to take other things in our lives into consideration. Quite the reverse in fact. Having a KFC occasionally in and amongst a decent healthy diet isnt harmful. If however, the meal before was at McDonalds and the one after is Pizza Hut, and they’re all interspersed with doughnuts and cake, its probably quite a different story. Snuff is like a little bit of condiment in life, and you have to find the right levels for yourself. An unfair comparison would be salt, as both high and low sodium levels can be harmful. Its all about the balance, and we shouldn’t just focus on just one ingredient, but pay attention to what is in the rest of life’s stew. If you’ve got dip in one cheek, snus in the other, a pipe between them, and rustica up your snout, that’s like peering down the barrel of a gun to see if it’s loaded.

5 Likes

To say something is dangerous without a benchmark to measure by is useless. Life is dangerous in that it 100% leads to death. If we were to measure risk associated in daily activities we would find that our regular activities are incredibly dangerous, from driving our cars, going to the doctor, and our morning coffee. Breathing these days exposes you to a vast array of VOCs and irritants, from vehicle exhaust to pollen and mold spores. if smoking is the leading cause of lung cancer, and poor diet is the leading cause of heart disease, we are still only looking at the end result of what many would call “a life worth living”. Ive probably taken many years off my life with the activities of my youth, but I wouldn’t change the past. I will continue to live my life without fear of tomorrow, because I may slip and fall today just the same. The only discernable difference is that I wont put other peoples health in the crossfire with my actions as I did while smoking.

5 Likes

Genetic factor plays a HUGE role in certain types of health hazard risks. Theres a great video somewhere on youtube portaying 113 old (sic) veteran form America who never stoped smoking cigars on daily basis and drinking (in healthy amounts ofc). He definitely enjoyed all of it without regrets and stress.

I guess happy and healthy life requires good ballance in every aspect whatever you do that could harm you, but its a hit or miss… We all in a lottery of some kind. Doesnt mean we shouldnt be aware of risks and be responsible, with a pinch of common sense

5 Likes