CHALLENGE! What's The Oldest Snuff You Can Find?

@sammyd13 Agreed! I wanna open it sooo bad.

2 Likes

Exciting! Please share the pictures of the snuff, if you open the ball @rostanf

2 Likes

This vintage carton of pre-WW2 Latvian nasal snuff “BANITS” (“LOCOMOTIVE” brand). Price EUR 10.

Banits

https://www.antik-war.lv/viewtopic.php?f=103&t=703622&p=3450829&hilit=šņaucamā#p3450829 (I’m not sure if it’s still on sale there, but that’s how it looked…)

Inscriptions:

NASAL SNUFF

genuine

“BANITS”

25 gr

20 st (santims)

Tob.(acco) fact.(ory)

MERKURS
RIGA

Licensed by Health Department

Nr. 1644

I can’t find any information on Latvian snuff online, but I do know it was produced during the Interwar period. My wife’s late granny wasn’t surprised by my habit and told me nasal snuff was available in Latvia back then.

5 Likes

@volunge that ball 'o snuff isn’t mine, I wish it were, brother. They’re asking way too much for it. Great post, btw. I’m not sure why antique snuff interests me so much.

3 Likes

@rostanf, sorry for misreading. Anyway, a very nice find that snuff ball!

2 Likes

I think this was already posted somewhere. A lot of rumbling, but completely justified - the guy got hold of a 100 year-old tin of Dr. Rumney’s Peppermint snuff with a few pinches inside:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tYMAjLUIVDE

6 Likes

That ball of leaves is wild! I would sure like to be able to sample some. When I saw the title of this thread, I thought I had everyone beat with this ceramic bottle of Poschl prickelnde Prisen I found on ebay for about ten bucks - I saw the buy it now auction within about an hour of it being posted, which was damn lucky. The gentleman assured me that he had never pulled the cork once in the more than fifty years that had passed since he bought it in Germany. I am almost done with it, it took me a year and a half, and that was only using it for special occasions.

6 Likes

Well, the photo did not make it, I

3 Likes

@Fantastic_Floyd still a great find! Thanks for sharing.

3 Likes

Four of these are unopened, no idea of date. Great deal for those in the uk. https://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/COLLECTION-OF-6-VINTAGE-WILSONS-SNUFF-TINS-SOME-UNOPENED-ART-DECO-TOBACCIANA/352767507590 s-l400(2) s-l400

7 Likes

I have a 1943 one pound tin of Gallagher’s Irish Toast. It was unopened when I bought it about 5 years ago. Still sealed in a paper wrapper and believe it or not, still good. Not fresh for sure but still nice every once in a while.

6 Likes

I believe it. I’ve recently had some Gallaher’s Condor Brown Twist pipe tobacco which had no business being as good to smoke as it was considering that it had sat all these years in simple silverfoil wrapping.

As for snuff,

I got really lucky and found an unopened glass jar of Smith’s Vanity Fair which was well preserved and still robust in the nose with nice scent, wallflower.

8 Likes

@philofumo, congrats! Back then Vanity Fair was one of the most expensive snuffs in Smith’s range, sold at 8.89 GBP an ounce. Attar of Roses, Heliotrope and Sandalwood were in the same price group.

Great thread on Smith’s with valuable @PhilipS posts: https://snuffhouse.com/discussion/3965/visit-to-g-smith-and-sons

3 Likes

@mrmanos @philofumo awesome scores! @volunge great info!

2 Likes

i bought some swastika stamped old bernards brazil on ebay and it was fillled with cocoa  <:-P

4 Likes

@SunnyDay, was it fresh? Cocoa, I mean :slight_smile: Really curious, was it an ersatz-like stuff, originally packed in that period, or someone filled up those old packages nowadays? I saw dedicated video on youtube, but my audible German comprehension is too poor to understand the story.

3 Likes

I bought a 1950s vintage box of Superior snuff. Not going to open it unless I run out. They still sell it at my local grocer.

4 Likes

@SunnyDay That’s horrible! @JosephJames. Great score!

2 Likes

@volunge i think they just filled up those packages maybe because original content was rotten the coccoa seemed fresh but the package smelled of mold

3 Likes

I bought a 1938 paper package of Italian snuff on eBay awhile back. I forgot the name but it was a pale brown almost toast. I should have saved the label but I threw it out. It had an eagle on it if that tells anyone anything. It’s my oldest snuff for sure and isn’t bad for its age. I wish I knew how to re-toast it!

5 Likes