Which Poschl Schmalzler do you prefer and why?

I have both Schmalzler A Brasil and Perlereuter in my cart at the moment.  I enjoy Bernard DF, Feinst, Klostermischung and Fresco and was wondering about your thoughts on these two Poschl schmalzlers and if they compare to the Bernards.  Thank you

I haven’t tried the Feinst, but you can expect the Bernards mentioned to be somewhat different than the Poschls. The Poschl while somewhat moist has a finer consistency (I find it clogs me up). The Poschls aren’t granulated by the mineral oil like the Bernards or like Rosiniski schmalzlers. The scent of the Poschls is very nice IMHO, but I’ve been sitting on a couple of mostly-full jars due to the clogging issue. Never heard anyone else complain about it, so maybe it’s just me. Getting around to the question, I prefer the scent of the Schmalzler A Brasil. It’s also sweet but seems to have some spiciness to it in the background. I’m guessing if you like one, you’ll like them both, though.

1 Like

Schmalzler A and Perlesreuter are two most natural Poschl schmalzlers, which are made only from fermented tobacco (app. 84% and 82%) and paraffin oil (16% and 18%). SF and D contain more ingredients and I would steer clear of some particular compounds if I made schmalzler for my own nose.

All four P schmalzlers are not alkalized and I find them lacking in nicotine. I need to stuff my nose just like in a Bavarian snuff taking contest to feel something.

Bernard schmalzlers are alkalized, hence nicotine-wise they are satisfying and less cloggy. Unfortunately, most of B schmalzlers contain preservative (ethylparaben). They are paraffined either (app. 15-16%).

@SammyD13, I have the same clogging issue with P schm.

1 Like

@volunge thanks for the correction about Poschl using paraffin. That would I think explain the clogging issue. Having handled paraffin and mineral oil, it makes perfect sense to me that the former could cause clogging. Its waxy property seems the culprit.

Does Schmalzler A and Perlesreuter smell kinda the same in the nose to anyone else?
How would you describe the aromas of Schmalzler A vs Perlesreuter?

Maybe my nose is fooling me, cause i havent spent much time with both, but the aromas i get from these two feels pretty much the same.

They both remind me Bernard Brazil Feinst  (that Bernard with the golden label) and its choco-raisin-molasses aroma, but last time i had Bernard Brazil Feinst  was years ago so i m not sure about their similarities…

Only have some “A” now (a gram of really old Perlesreuter doesn’t count, for it has lost most of the flavour now), so cannot compare them directly, but Perlesreuter had more things going on. I could clearly smell coffee/chocolate-like notes, the aroma overall was sweeter and more intense than that of “A”.

If I had to choose one, it would be a Perlesreuter. As a fan of plain snuff, I expected “A” to become my favourite, but less is not more in this case.

If you tolerate and occasionally enjoy some menthol, get a large tin of WoS Singletons Super Cool (probably renamed to Singleton’s Super M now) for blending your own mentholated schmalzler someday. SSC matches the texture and colour of shmalzlers and perks them up really nice. Two parts Perlesreuter to one part SSC by volume makes a very enjoyable mix.

Also, looking at BMEL data, it seems that mixing 1 gram of Poschl Mix Snuff (or Ozona English Type) with 5.6 g Perlesreuter (i. e. 15% + 85% by weight) might result in Bayern-Prise Brasil mit SNUFF.

1 Like

@volunge thank you for the reply! Yeah to me both A and Perlesreuter feel like they have kinda the same aroma but with subtle small differences. From testing the two of them I ended up gravitating more towards Perlesreuter and filling my tapbox with Perlesreuter, so this is what I carry these days. When I will finish this tapbox (old empty bernard tapbox without the labels) I will give Brasil A a good try. 

I like mixing Schmalzler with medicated snuff, only a small amount of medicated to add the cooling effect and dont overpower the Schmalzler. I have mixed some pinches of Perlesreuter with Fubar Snafu Medicated  and another time i mixed it with Poschl Lowenprise, the only two medicated snuff i have at this moment. I will keep Wos Singletons Super Cool in mind for future purchase. Thanks a lot!

1 Like

Cheers! WoS SSC gives a phenomenally sharp sting, most probably due to the salmiak or some other ammonium salt added (or a rather high pH; or both). It’s not a menthol bomb, it doesn’t contain any essential oils or camphor (or they are there in miniscule amounts and I cannot detect their presence), but it does deliver some good nicotine, and larger bumps of fresh will give you tears. So, it pairs with those mild schmalzlers very well. Really nice darker tobacco base there, not a typical mentholated English SP like WoS M/SM series or McChrystal’s.

1 Like

@ALLex You should give Hedges a try for mixing, the stuff is so strong when I open the tin and hold my face near it the menthol fumes burn my eyes. It’s what I use you only need the tiniest little pinch to add a cooling effect to a snuff. I personally like toasts with a slight cooling effect.

2 Likes

@n9inchnails thank you so much!
i know Hedges sounds ideal for mixing with Schmalzler.

The medicated snuff that happens to have at this moment, Fubar Snafu Medicated, is really strong in menthol and camphor and also smooth on the intake with no menthol sting like most of the European medicated snuffs I have tried. I like a lot that smoothness and I find it pairs nice with the smoothness of Schmalzler. 

I will keep Hedges in mind for future purchase, after all it is a historical snuff that i havent had the chance to try yet.

I use nasal snuff for 5 years now, but the last 2 year situation (Covid, Brexit and Europe) with deliveries from Toque or Mrsnuff and the very long (months) awaitenings plus the vat taxes i get to pay when they arrive, have really put me off purchasing snuff as much as i was doing before. I really miss the days when delivery from those retailers took only 8-10 days… 

My interest in buying snuffs has dropped in general. I was never hooked to try them all. Just bulk up my preferences. 

I much prefer keeping those snuff money for buying cuban cigars or cigars in general. :D

These days my only and convenient option for online purchases is Poschl, Bernard or Rosinksi, buying only from European shops. 

@n9inchnails What are your thoughts on Poschl Scmalzler A and Perlesreuter ? Do you feel any distinct differences between them or which Poschl Schmalzler do you prefer the most?

Also what about Gletscherprise 25g sachet  for mixing with Poschl Schmalzler ? 

P.S. Also havent tried Gletscherprise yet but I want. I was mainly focused on building a bulk collection of mostly plain snuffs (not medicated) which i prefer the most, which I did :slight_smile:

1 Like

@n9inchnails  a little bit off topic but I like a toast with just a tiny amount of medicated for the cooling effect too.
Another good one is toast with a very small amount of floral snuff.  HDT with just a very small amount Toque Violet for example was a very good mix I used to snuff.  When I sniff this one, it first hits me with an instant and short lived (~1sec) floral note and then the toastyness unfolds beautifully. 

2 Likes

I got a 25g satchet of Schmalzler D and really enjoy it, tho I happened to get Bernard’s Schmalzlerfranzl and like it way more, of course being alkalized helps a ton! I was taken aback at Poschl’s grind, and looking online at a video about the company I believe this mortar and pestle is why the grind is so…fine/granulated. I do like it but don’t get much else other than banana, and maybe a slight hint of apple but is pretty one dimensional. It seems the back of the hand or boxcar method is the easiest way to take it…I’m not one usually to use the back of the hand because it falls off, but I can see why the Germans are always pictured using that method for schmalzlers, it’s perfect! Not getting any chocolate cake, there…the B is more nuanced in the flavor, and I detect some rum or alcohol note I really like. I will say so far Bernard’s makes some of my favorite snuffs I’ve tried, I want them all!

1 Like