Silicone rubber bands?

Thinking that they might be a good easy solution to make metal tins airtight. Will have to take circumference measurements of some different tins. Then try to find the best sizes of bands. For me, 25g tins from WoS, S Gawith, and Toque. Hopefully they are made as durable as I imagine. Starting to look at the ones listed on Amazon. Has anybody tried these for this purpose?

I have not tried this but it sounds like a good idea as long as they are tight

1 Like

If you’re planning long term storage,don’t trust any tin from WoS or SG…maybe Toque’s are better but then I’m not sure for moister snuffs…

1 Like

Thanks for the input guys! I really prefer glass over metal, but with the number of tins I have sitting around, it probably would not be practical to use jars. Maybe if I knew someone with a supply of baby food jars.

@Mr_O sounds like you are on to a great idea. The trick would be getting the right size of gasket, though. It would have to fit perfectly in the top of the lid, be wide enough in diameter to hold itself in place, and thick enough to provide a complete seal. I would test it for air leaks by filling the tin with judicious amounts of baking soda, vinegar, and dish soap.

Thanks! My initial thought was to be using a band wide enough to use as an external seal. It would cover the gap and part of both the lid and the main part of the tin. Would have the drawback of needing to be re positioned each time to take a pinch. Your thought of a stationary gasket might work better. Will have to research o rings. If I have the opportunity, after taking some classes, I would like to make an air tight molded glass hockey puck of a snuff box.

This is what I have done and so far it seems to be working quite well- I purchased several thin silicone pastry mats and used an x-acto knife to cut out disks from it that were the same size as the white inserts used on the lids of the tins normally. This seems to create a really nice seal as long as the top is tightly closed

2 Likes

I might just have to try that, then! Good thinking:)

@Alsharp87 excellent idea!