What snuff did you bin today?

@Pikey does it have any scent left after drying out? How does the snuff get dried out if it’s vac sealed? The few old stock SGs I have still retain full moisture - inky, as you say with the darks

1 Like

@ar47 It’s carrying a hint of moisture and residual scent . I wondered about where the moisture went too . :smiley: I definitely had to pop the seal on most of them . 

It’s like night and day though . The fresher snuff is dark with a silky texture , with a strong ‘flat cola’ scent that runs on into a vague floral (in my nose) . However the old one is sharper , much lighter , with a hint of cola in the background . :)  

2 Likes

@ar47 I m fairly sure I remember this correctly . When I was a lad in the '70s and early eighties , there was still a residual snuff culture locally . Virtually every newsagent carried a bit of snuff …and it sold too . 

A commercial traveller used to service the local old style fancy tobacconist with the Sam Gawiths and GH . While he was there he would serve up the local newsagents with tins and tapbox forerunners . 

SG Cola(I believe) was only available loose from a jar in the posh tobacconists and it was like the holy grail for the 11/12 year old me   . He wouldn’t sell me tobacco of any kind unless it was pipe stuff for my dad . I used to snuff a bit if I couldn’t afford a smoke  . A dusty tin of  Wilsons could be had for like 11 pence from the high street newsagent whereas 10 cigarettes was around 50pence . I was a poor kid but I could usually rustle up 15p for a snuff :smiley: .

I tried allsorts of ruses to get hold of that  cola snuff . :D  Despairing , one day I plucked up the courage to ask for 20 pence worth when I was picking up my fathers Clan  . No dice : he even told my Dad , the bastard :smiley: I don’t think I ever got to even try it as a kid and always regretted it   . By the time I was 16 , that old place had long gone and loose snuff was an oddity. 

When I discovered online snuff buying a couple of years ago virtually the first things I bought were all the cola snuffs :smiley:

4 Likes

Some old toque peanut butter meeting the bin today. Old and been carrying it daily…too bad toque tins cant stand being abused…anyone got any ideas for a snuffbox that can take rough handling and transport?

1 Like

@Rogue what’s happened to the tin that it’s no longer serviceable? I have some pretty banged up ones but I’ve only had to bin the ones that people other than me, who don’t respect threads, have cross-threaded @Pikey thanks for the tale. I like Toque Coke, probably from a childhood of Coke ICEE. I forget with every order to buy old stock of WoS Cola from MrSnuff. I’ve recently come around to SG so the telling of binning 9 25’s sounds akin to posting you’re going to kick 9 puppies :smiley:

3 Likes

@ar47 no threads left on it, what seemslike aluminum dust has entered the snuff, no longer semi-sealed, lid reaches bottom of the tin.

2 Likes

My little thing of Postillian is getting dumped out.  All I can say about it is “Ewwwwww.”  Might save and clean out the tap box though. 

2 Likes

@Rogue

I’d make it 2 years to the month that you’ve had that Peanut Butter tin :slight_smile: I have a Lime Toast tin from the same eon that I carry almost daily & the lid just about touches the bottom also.

@dan11 heh, yeah, that’s the one! I’m kind of amazed it lasted that long though. I usually have my EDC snuffs for a few months at max before everything spills out through cracks and holes in the tin…that’s 99.99% purely my own fault though, as I seem to be carrying tools in all of my available pockets…and bolts and screws…and sometimes spare parts…if it wasn’t for a knife, I think I’d still have that less than 1 g of toque peanut butter that was left in the tin. I actually tried a sniff, but the small pieces of metal or whatever felt like it was cutting my nose…just couldn’t take it. How does your Lime Toast look/feel? Still ok?

Binning a few little 6 photos that don’t agree with me, & one or two other snuffs to which I added some.

2 Likes

Binned a Gletscherprise Gold this morning that looked much worse than @volunge 's old Extra back in April. I ordered it many months ago and had just opened this morning

@ar47 knowing how carefully you store your snuffs, that must have already been pretty old when you got it!

1 Like

Im about to toss 1kg of poschl shmaltzlers in the trash because the paper bags they come in are terrible at keeping it fresh. I vacuum sealed every one of them the day they arrived but the 2 I immediately decanted into glass jars were bad enough. They need to offer the whole line in sealed foil packs.

1 Like

I binned a lot of tins not too long ago - Hedges, Toque, many WoS. Sometimes, if a snuff does not agree with you, you have to part with them. These were too old to give away, but in future I will be happy to donate to any takers. 

These days, I only buy a tin to try something new out. The things I know I like, I buy in bulk. It’s really so much better.

2 Likes

Everything I buy,after one week or two goes straight to glass jars.Even the dry ones.

I have learned my lesson…

3 Likes

@barredbenny makes sense from your perspective, but for what it’s worth some day the snuffs may become discontinued and then even dried out, years-old examples become gold to the new enthusiasts who never got to try them in the snuff’s prime. Speaking from experience as someone lucky enough to be on the receiving end of that equation a few times now

2 Likes

@ar47 Yes I suppose you are right about that. I shall hold on to them for posterity from now on!

2 Likes

@Afterglow, have you tried refreshing them? If they are just dried out and there’s no mould, worth mixing some with fresh Bernard Kownoer or SG KB (both are really moist, when fresh). Fresh Neftobak should do the trick, too, and I would even try blending it with NTSU black. You can boost and moisturize any Poschl schmalzler that way, without altering the original aroma much.

Or you could use coarse, dark, smoky and medium moist WoS Singleton’s Super Cool for that purpose, if you don’t mind light menthol and a hint of smokiness. I enjoyed it with Perlesreuter.

Poschl Glestscherprise Gold is another super moist snuff, decent for rehydration. Tried it with some stale (bone dry) Extra Crumbs of Comfort and witnessed the resurrection.

3 Likes

Just binned about 12 grams of stale Taxi Red (in that large flat can). Could not get along with that musty odour.

Kept the can, tho. :slight_smile:

Won’t be ordering again any red Taxi from the current stock.

1 Like

Tossed my WoS Irish 22 and WoS Honey Menthol (Bee M) 25g tins yesterday.  Received January 2014.  There was something foul going on with the 22 but I quit noticing it after a while… that is, until I received a fresh order of snuff. Couldn’t really notice anything foul in the Menthol snuff, just sort of a one dimensional meh with rebound but the menthol is still pretty strong.  All the same, 5 1/2 years is a respectable go, especially in those crummy tins.  Don’t know how I made it so long without some fresh snuff on hand though!

1 Like