What snuff did you bin today?

@ar47 I m fairly sure I remember this correctly . When I was a lad in the '70s and early eighties , there was still a residual snuff culture locally . Virtually every newsagent carried a bit of snuff …and it sold too . 

A commercial traveller used to service the local old style fancy tobacconist with the Sam Gawiths and GH . While he was there he would serve up the local newsagents with tins and tapbox forerunners . 

SG Cola(I believe) was only available loose from a jar in the posh tobacconists and it was like the holy grail for the 11/12 year old me   . He wouldn’t sell me tobacco of any kind unless it was pipe stuff for my dad . I used to snuff a bit if I couldn’t afford a smoke  . A dusty tin of  Wilsons could be had for like 11 pence from the high street newsagent whereas 10 cigarettes was around 50pence . I was a poor kid but I could usually rustle up 15p for a snuff :smiley: .

I tried allsorts of ruses to get hold of that  cola snuff . :D  Despairing , one day I plucked up the courage to ask for 20 pence worth when I was picking up my fathers Clan  . No dice : he even told my Dad , the bastard :smiley: I don’t think I ever got to even try it as a kid and always regretted it   . By the time I was 16 , that old place had long gone and loose snuff was an oddity. 

When I discovered online snuff buying a couple of years ago virtually the first things I bought were all the cola snuffs :smiley:

4 Likes