What snuff did you bin today?

I will probably bin my tap box of gawith original (apricot)…because its vile

2 Likes

I thought with the oils and menthol in the German snuffs that one their qualities is being microbial resistant. That’s not what I’m witnessing here on this thread

1 Like

Update on old GP Extra issue.

Got a generous reimbursement from Poschl today - two boxes of Gletscher-Prise Gold. I really wasn’t after it when I contacted them, just wanted to know the mfg year of that old snuff I got from retailer, out of pure curiosity.

Lovely customer care this.

6 Likes

Binned a F&T Princes 25g tin last week and a WoS Best Dark today. Both were all corrosion under their tape. The Princes took the prize with oozing black liquid coming through the otherwise-sealed shut lid. The Best Dark I got open but there was some strange clumping (and the snuff around the corroded edges was the color of the corrosion). I scooped a bit of the center of the tin out but sniffing it smelt like a burst battery (same as the Princes) I was looking forward to the Best Dark. Luckily @SammyD13 helped out with the Princes :slight_smile: Edit: a bit of a wake up call that I should get any snuffs with moisture out of these tins. I keep most of my snuff in glass, just in glass while still in the tin X_X

2 Likes

I binned a WoS Princes for the same rust developing on the inner lid.im now planing on the purchase of bulks and glass.

3 Likes

9 x 25g Samuel Gawith Cola . Like many Brits, I bought a shitload of snuff in the EU shakeup of Tobacco products . Snuff was literally pennies . Among the bounty was 300 grams of SG Cola . I bought a few SGflavours, primarily for the empty tins . I have almost limitless uses for SG Vacuum tins .

I ve been meaning to decant ithe SG Cola into glass for ages because the fresh snuff can be quite wet and inky . I needn’t have worriied because it turns out some of the tins were old stock and totally dried out years ago . :smiley:

There was no mould or rust …but it’s like having 22 tapboxes of moody snuff I ll never want to use . I didn’t throw it directly in the bin but it will be used as testing material for crockpot snus experiments .

Fortunately I found three tins of the fresh gear in there  . SG Cola is now discontinued so they’ll be a rare prize in coming years. 

1 Like

@Pikey does it have any scent left after drying out? How does the snuff get dried out if it’s vac sealed? The few old stock SGs I have still retain full moisture - inky, as you say with the darks

1 Like

@ar47 It’s carrying a hint of moisture and residual scent . I wondered about where the moisture went too . :smiley: I definitely had to pop the seal on most of them . 

It’s like night and day though . The fresher snuff is dark with a silky texture , with a strong ‘flat cola’ scent that runs on into a vague floral (in my nose) . However the old one is sharper , much lighter , with a hint of cola in the background . :)  

2 Likes

@ar47 I m fairly sure I remember this correctly . When I was a lad in the '70s and early eighties , there was still a residual snuff culture locally . Virtually every newsagent carried a bit of snuff …and it sold too . 

A commercial traveller used to service the local old style fancy tobacconist with the Sam Gawiths and GH . While he was there he would serve up the local newsagents with tins and tapbox forerunners . 

SG Cola(I believe) was only available loose from a jar in the posh tobacconists and it was like the holy grail for the 11/12 year old me   . He wouldn’t sell me tobacco of any kind unless it was pipe stuff for my dad . I used to snuff a bit if I couldn’t afford a smoke  . A dusty tin of  Wilsons could be had for like 11 pence from the high street newsagent whereas 10 cigarettes was around 50pence . I was a poor kid but I could usually rustle up 15p for a snuff :smiley: .

I tried allsorts of ruses to get hold of that  cola snuff . :D  Despairing , one day I plucked up the courage to ask for 20 pence worth when I was picking up my fathers Clan  . No dice : he even told my Dad , the bastard :smiley: I don’t think I ever got to even try it as a kid and always regretted it   . By the time I was 16 , that old place had long gone and loose snuff was an oddity. 

When I discovered online snuff buying a couple of years ago virtually the first things I bought were all the cola snuffs :smiley:

4 Likes

Some old toque peanut butter meeting the bin today. Old and been carrying it daily…too bad toque tins cant stand being abused…anyone got any ideas for a snuffbox that can take rough handling and transport?

1 Like

@Rogue what’s happened to the tin that it’s no longer serviceable? I have some pretty banged up ones but I’ve only had to bin the ones that people other than me, who don’t respect threads, have cross-threaded @Pikey thanks for the tale. I like Toque Coke, probably from a childhood of Coke ICEE. I forget with every order to buy old stock of WoS Cola from MrSnuff. I’ve recently come around to SG so the telling of binning 9 25’s sounds akin to posting you’re going to kick 9 puppies :smiley:

3 Likes

@ar47 no threads left on it, what seemslike aluminum dust has entered the snuff, no longer semi-sealed, lid reaches bottom of the tin.

2 Likes

My little thing of Postillian is getting dumped out.  All I can say about it is “Ewwwwww.”  Might save and clean out the tap box though. 

2 Likes

@Rogue

I’d make it 2 years to the month that you’ve had that Peanut Butter tin :slight_smile: I have a Lime Toast tin from the same eon that I carry almost daily & the lid just about touches the bottom also.

@dan11 heh, yeah, that’s the one! I’m kind of amazed it lasted that long though. I usually have my EDC snuffs for a few months at max before everything spills out through cracks and holes in the tin…that’s 99.99% purely my own fault though, as I seem to be carrying tools in all of my available pockets…and bolts and screws…and sometimes spare parts…if it wasn’t for a knife, I think I’d still have that less than 1 g of toque peanut butter that was left in the tin. I actually tried a sniff, but the small pieces of metal or whatever felt like it was cutting my nose…just couldn’t take it. How does your Lime Toast look/feel? Still ok?

Binning a few little 6 photos that don’t agree with me, & one or two other snuffs to which I added some.

2 Likes

Binned a Gletscherprise Gold this morning that looked much worse than @volunge 's old Extra back in April. I ordered it many months ago and had just opened this morning

@ar47 knowing how carefully you store your snuffs, that must have already been pretty old when you got it!

1 Like

Im about to toss 1kg of poschl shmaltzlers in the trash because the paper bags they come in are terrible at keeping it fresh. I vacuum sealed every one of them the day they arrived but the 2 I immediately decanted into glass jars were bad enough. They need to offer the whole line in sealed foil packs.

1 Like

I binned a lot of tins not too long ago - Hedges, Toque, many WoS. Sometimes, if a snuff does not agree with you, you have to part with them. These were too old to give away, but in future I will be happy to donate to any takers. 

These days, I only buy a tin to try something new out. The things I know I like, I buy in bulk. It’s really so much better.

2 Likes