Viking Dark --- they changed it?!

Okay what is going on in the world? I bought some viking dark a few weeks ago which was different to the good ole viking I used to buy months ago!

At the time I thought it was some sort of cross contamination with viking spearmint! But then today I received some more and low and behold! Itā€™s different, with that same spearmint undertone and not so smokey, and it certainly doesnā€™t smell like a vacuum cleaner no more!Ā 

What is the world coming to?!!?Ā 

It isnā€™t a bad snuff, just not the sameā€¦Iā€™m gutted.

This happened ages ago. I think when SG and G&H merged, but Iā€™m not sure. I bought 2 500g tubs not knowing itā€™d be different than I was expecting. But itā€™s still good snuff, just had to get used to it.

yup different now. i have some old and new and itā€™s definitely not the same. good still but not the same

1 Like

I threw a couple on my last order but have not tried one yet. I will be very upset if there is s spearmint taste. Will report back.

Yeah Iā€™m kind of disappointed with it. Itā€™s still a good snuff but itā€™s not the same as the original. Iā€™ve been living abroad for a year so I havenā€™t bought it until recently so I didnā€™t realise they had changed it. And thereā€™s definitely a spearmint smell to itā€¦

I contacted My Smoking Shop. Ā They said they havenā€™t changed the recipe, but there are seasonal variations due to it being an all natural tobacco. Ā 

2 Likes

and people wonder why there arenā€™t more unscented natural snuffs. Well these days people seem addicted to certainty and consistency.

4 Likes

My smoking shop told me the same thing about the recipe not changing. And it has been consistent for a long time, almost since it first came out.

Yeah,the recipe is consistent but the price is not!

:stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Honestly I do not believe that it is only a question of seasonal variations. I belive they have changed the recipe and also the manufactorer. If I take the Samual Gawith Silky Dark which is sold by snuffstore.de I always geht the old smoky Viking Dark aroma. The new Viking DarkĀ  is milder and is missing the smoky earthy scent for me.Ā 

2 Likes

Yeah I agree, the last few times I had it itā€™s been different and I donā€™t think itā€™s a seasonal thing either. Itā€™s a shame, it used to be really good.

2 Likes

Yes, it is a shame. That

1 Like

Yes, it

1 Like

I realised this as well. VD changed pretty much, IMO. I havent tried it in theĀ  new tins though. Maybe now it is a more stable tobacco. But the Thors Hammer didnt change during the last year. At I didnt realise any differenvce.

@Uwe - try to avoid apostrophes and stuff like that. The forum software doesnt like it, it seems.

2 Likes

I am so glad that there is the Sam Gawith Silky Dark, which is pretty much the same as the old Viking Dark. I really like it.

I have asked mrsnuff, if they will take in in stock, but have no answer yet.

2 Likes

I just got two 500 g tins of dark, and immediately picked up a very subtle mintyness as well, and immediately did a double take at the label to make sure they had sent me the correct product. it was fresh out of the can, so i chalked it up to needing to air a bit, but then saw this post. I hope this snuff hasnā€™t changed, because its my all day staple along with Viking Brown.

Uwe i havenā€™t had Silky Dark, but thanks for the recommendation. Iā€™ll have to order some and see if it scratches that same itch. Nothing goes better with morning coffee or evening stout than a pinch of pure, smokey, dark tobacco.Ā 

2 Likes

@RainDog For me SG Silky Dark is very very similar if not identical to the old Viking Dark. Another one that gives me these ā€œpure, smoky, dark tobaccoā€-feeling is the Gekachelter Virginie from Bernard.

2 Likes

I have this local shop around where they sell lot of old stock snuff. Last time I bought Viking Dark there it was dated 2017. PM me if interested :wink:

3 Likes

Iā€™m still upset about Black Rappee being discontinued. I was told the Viking dark Rappee is identical but itā€™s not. Itā€™s good but I can tell itā€™s not been matured in a barrel for a year like the original.

1 Like

Had this kinda thing happen to me with taxi red . Cracked it open and I could faintly smell spearmint . And very very slight menthol on the nose on taking it .
It seems to have wore off now around a month later .