Snuff and fasting

Thanks yisrael it is interesting and as I have said before, I find your cultural posts interesting. It seems Judaism is more tolerant than Islam in allowing snuff use for religious fasts. I suggested snuff to an Egyptian friend for Ramadan but he said it is not permitted. @basement_shaman: I think Yisrael is just giving us some cultural context :slight_smile:

1 Like

@matteob I have a few Jewish friend and relatives by marriage.  I don’t know everything but I have been exposed to traditions . I come from a long line of  strict RC. I found my own path. What you believe is fine with me,  just never try to sell it to me I am not buying. I don’t need a church or a book to make contact with a higher power. Only

Good 

orderly 

direction 

will judge me. 

1 Like

@yisraeldov very interesting video, but only thing bugging me a wee bit and its your recipe for after fast: one cookie and 100 grams of ice cold vodka. Even if I consider myself as iron stomach fellow, I am strongly believe that amount of vodka on empty stomach is no good (literaly it will burn a hole into your stomach and for weaker ones cause solid alcohol poisoning).
Jack

P.S. that words Schmeck its is hebrew or (loanword) from jiddish? Because in my native language we use word

2 Likes

@JackGrave

Shmek is yiddish

I guess everyone should know himself, how much he can drink. but 100ml is only 1/2 a US cup so not really that much, a bit more than 2 shots. 

2 Likes

@basement_shaman you are the only one that discussing religion here. No one is trying to sell you anything. You don’t want to be religious, that is for you to decide, but you don’t need to defend your decision when no one even brought it up.  

1 Like

20170704_135737 (1)

1 Like

I must say that this is not a religious conversation/video in my eyes. I felt this was a description of how someone started using snuff and how to use it during a fast. (Religious or not) and I liked it.

This is a fasting conversation/video, I see no problem with it and I enjoyed the information on something I know very little about. I was also interested to find out that stimulants like snuff are used to prevent cravings during a fast. Something I didn’t know before.

As a note there are many reasons to fast so I feel this can apply to many people. (Health reasons, Colonoscopies, and much more)

BTW: I friggen love your beard, my face is envious.

1 Like

@N1THC I actually also fast for health reasons about once a week, but in our community snuff is popular during religious fasts so that is how I got into it.

1 Like

@yisraeldov just out of curiosity it isnt seen as cheating using appetite suppressants to fast? I guess it all may come down to the reason of fasting.

2 Likes

@Aamon, no it’s not cheating but I’d rather not get into it here.

2 Likes

@yisraeldov thank you and I understand

1 Like

I feel sorry for any body that has to fast. I have just filled my freezer with a freshly harvested black bear and half of a 500 lb. hog. Foods are good till October when I will kill and fill with venison till next year.

2 Likes

Beef is for the birds! They like it better than I do and when I offer it helps with crow breasts in the freezer.

@nicmizer when people say harvested for animals I can not help but imagine the animal growing out of a tree like a piece of fruit. Don’t pick that bear yet he’s not ripened enough. No problem with that just thought I’d share the funny image you helped my mind concoct.

3 Likes

Hi yisraeldov, I found that breaking a fast with vodka interesing. Is that very common with people you know?

@tboyer there are plenty of shuls that put out vodka/whisky and some sort of cookies or cake at the end of a fast. Very cold soda ( seltzer ) is also good.

1 Like

@bob sowed me some pig seeds, should be a good crop this year.

1 Like

pigs one of the reason humanity deserves some credit.

breaking a fast with a little bit of alcohol is a good way to get the digestion started without too much strain and the mild buzz is pretty impressive for the small amount of alcohol. Helps to have something to look forward too.

2 Likes

@bob the dogs taste buds don’t care about ripe bear meat as they eat it year round and don’t complain. I personally have given it to them as food for over 30 years and never had to give them store bought food. I also feed them vegetables I grow myself.

1 Like