Still confused about this "Characteristic Flavour" EU rule.

My last order of Wilsons of Sharrow Rose now says Rows? Can’t see anyone eating a Rose or seeing one as a food. Perhaps Wilsons have employed a new label printer who can’t spell but if its down to the new rules then it really has gone silly with this one!

1 Like

i believe its just another attempt to get kids to never start using tobacco. blueberry snuff sounds like candy so it will appeal more to kids than the new name changes will.

1 Like

The funny part is that some are even more “Appealing” to kids than before. What kid is going to want to try super menthol snuff? Well guess what; now it’s called “Super Cool”. Now, if you want to be cool, thats the label you need to have in your pocket. The other kids in school will be so jealous of your nasal snuff!

The other that made me laugh my ass off was the change from “Honey Menthol” to “Bee Cool”. Holy shit.

5 Likes

hilarious! i guess im extra cool right now cuz thats whats in my nose 

2 Likes

Your coolness is radiating, I can feel it…gotta put some extrs cool in my nose too

It is complete bollocks! You can have a toffee scented snuff, or a wallflower scented snuff, or a sandalwood scented snuff. You just can’t have the name saying directly what that scent is, or alluding to some positive effect. So long as the name is just a blend name rather than a description, you would be good to go. It would be interesting to see if you could call a snuff Mint Chocolate if it actually smelled of raspberry. They can’t get you on trading standards or false advertising if you aren’t allowed to call it the correct scent >:)

3 Likes

@matteob I’m done with Squinty’s vids. He seems to put himself forward as some kind of authority on snuff knowledge, but his rants are off the scale, his accuracy of information is hit and miss, and he doesn’t take down misleading info or tend to offer corrective statements or apologies. Now it also seems he just barks at anyone trying to realign him with what’s actually happening. Waste of time listening to him in my opinion. I’ve no interest watching someone’s one man’s misinformed rants, and then watching him mouth off further at anyone who tries to furnish him with facts. I hope his viewers take steps to check the facts and don’t get too badly misled by his inaccuracies.

3 Likes

To be fair my confusion this time does not come from Paul’s vids. The Directive says that “tobacco products shall not have a characterizing flavour” and yet many still do. Is it that they cannot be marketed as having a flavour or they should have no flavour full stop? Euro leg is not known for its clarity. @50ft_trad if that what you say is true the drafting of the Directive is horrendous.

All things will have a flavour, but is it characterised?  Naming the snuff with that flavour is doing that.  Making a flavoured snuff is not

thanks. Torque snuff still does that though lol

A simple way of making snuff unappealing to most people would be to add DOG POO to the end of the name.  We have already seen that the name need no longer have any relationship to the product in the tin.

e.g.

Rose Dog Poo.

Mint flavoured Dog Poo.

Menthol Dog Poo.

Apricot Dog Poo.

Who in their right mind would be attracted to putting Menthol Dog Poo up their nostrils?

It is off putting, but at least you know its going to have menthol in it.

As for Rows of Sharrow.

Is it argumentative rows or rows of cabbages and turnips? 

Or even the rows in Chester? These are ancient covered walk ways of shops above street level for any one not in the know.

I pity any foreigner trying to learn English as a second language, it’s difficult enough for those born and bred here.

Cheers All.

2 Likes

hmmmm

You need to check both, one is the followup to the first.

These are the links to the directives in English taken from the official journal. You need to read it all through there are exceptions and references cited around the doc.Should answer most questions^^

http://eur-lex.europa.eu/legal-content/EN/TXT/PDF/?uri=CELEX:32014L0040&from=IT

http://eur-lex.europa.eu/legal-content/EN/TXT/PDF/?uri=CELEX:32016R0779&from=EN

ta much!

@matteob   After reading some other posts, I became a little apprehensive.   I sincerely hope my comment on the difficulty of foreigners learning English has not been taken as a slight against anyone. I genuinely believe that “British” English is a confusing, difficult thing to learn.  I bet that most of us would fail abysmally if presented with an O or A level test paper. Me included.

In these situations it is so easy to offend other people without being aware of the situation.

I hope all is well.

Well gents as an speaker whom have english as secondary language, I’d foung (british and irish) english somehow easier than my native language (czech). If i use as example a word ROW it have (in czech) 26+ different meanings (26+ totally different meanings even if counted local and non-standard words). So english is quite easy language to learn, but troublesome to master it perfectly.
Jack

1 Like

@JackGrave    Nice one Jack.    I thought English was difficult enough.

Cheers.

1 Like

I was always told that English is one of the hardest languages to learn to speak, the grammar is overly complicated and English is backward to most languages where we say “a red hat” in just about every other language hat comes before red.

I speak my native American English but I’m trying to learn British English from this forum. It’s a bloody tough slog, I must say.

1 Like

I watch British TV to improve my mind.

1 Like