Any car guy's or gal's?

Just curious if there are any car nuts here or other hobbies besides snuff. I just finished a 1978 Gmc SWB. Have a 1947 2-door ford sedan that I finished in 2007. Had a couple of drag race cars in the past.

Yep. Currently workin at a wreckyard, with old classics (and some modern cars) to work on for fun.

1 Like

I sold my last rat-rod a few years ago.

It was a '29 Caddy ambulance model, sold in '31 as new old stock to a coach builder in Cincinnati, who converted it to a limo.

I found it in a barn in Colorado.  It had been rolled, thank God, which allowed me to make drastic changes I wouldn’t have been comfortable doing to a car in better condition.

I chopped off the top, the top of the doors, half the windshield, and removed a lot of the rear where I fabricated a diamond-plate truck bed.

It was a fun Caddy.

A mechanic friend and I used to do +10 rally races here in Northern New Mexico.  Most of all the rally cars here are modern rally cars, or old British two-seaters.  That ugly '29 Caddy sure did cause a stir.

2 Likes

My 78 gmc used to be my wifes grandpa’s. He bought it new. Went to her dad and was not taken care of. Lucky for me, it would not pass emissions in NM. I bought it and after much work in a couple of days, got it road worthy to make it to Texas. After a few years, the wife said she wanted to see it painted. I took that as restore and I went running before she changed her mind. My 47 sedan was my uncles. He died in a car wreck, so I bought it from my aunt and 10yrs later had a restomod. I won 3rd place at a Hooters car show and it made front page on local newspaper.

2 Likes

I’m an old Toyota Land Cruiser(1980’s) guy. I don’t drive it off road, but I live on a muddy, bumpy, snow covered road, so it’s an off road rig. I like it stock, no ups, no extras.

1 Like

I was going to keep my 78 stock. I rebuilt the engine and trans. Needed a new camshaft, so thought a better cam would be nice. Then a friend offered to sell his race heads cheap. Then found an aluminum intake at a garage sell cheap. The new cam said it needed a higher stall torgue converter. Ran really nice. Then I thought a set of headers would be good. It was like trying to only take one pinch of schmalzler for the day. Couldn’t control myself.

I do like cars and have helped fix them up, but as of now I live in an apartment and can’t afford any projects. When I was little my dad had a dodge dart swinger, but when we moved to California in 1990 it wouldn’t pass emissions and he sold it. When we moved back to Arizona I had a lot of mechanic buddies, so I got to work on an assortment of cars. The most exciting cars I had was a 1989 Toyota supra and then a 1990 Nissan 300zx. Nothing too exciting compared to others.

1 Like

Small update: Still workin at a wreckyard + working in private for 3 different people with 4 different cars…my snuff hoarding issue has gotten worse, and I now appear to collect cars…I now have: 99 vw passat 1.9 tdi, a 93 Audi 80 2 0e, 01 audi A3 1.8t, 1997 volvo V70 2.0 and an 03 mazda 6, 1.8…Samboodee please help me!

1 Like

Yea love all cars, trucks, boats: anything with an engine.

1 Like

Carburetor(s) and no cat. The way I role. Really fast or foot power.

1 Like

This is my 78 that I just finished. IMG_0764

2 Likes

That…is beautiful!

I love old cars simply for the fact that you (or you and a friend that knows more about them) can fix a number of things on them yourself. Although a number people have told me that aftermarket parts that actually fit up properly. What a tragedy! How can a couple of backwards neanderthals living in a hut in the Khyber Pass make an AK-47 with little more than a hacksaw and bastard file but a high tech CNC shop can’t make a carburetor body that fits an old car?

The AK is hand made and the aftermarket parts are mass produced. Greed. Had to replace hood and it doesn’t fit right. Tried to replace passenger door and it was unusable. They told me that the body shop ruined it and wouldn’t replace it. That was a waste of $350. No problems with the engine parts other than the starter. Brand new high torque starter and it drags intermittently.

We have a classic Mini Cooper but I cannot upload a photo to this site for some reason now.

Car guy … I have a hard time considering myself one because I’m not as dedicated to it as I was years ago For ~10 years I spent a few evenings a week and traveled summer weekends working on a couple semi-pro road race cars, one/two late 80s Japanese (rotary engine) and another an obscure early 60s hand made tube frame British (1500cc pinto 15:1 compression almost 10K rpm). One owner has a circa 1940 machine shop (what I learned on) in his garage and another circa 1990. But now married with children and a demanding job I rarely have time just to drive to and from the shop. We would make most of our own parts and do absolutely everything in house except for precision engine & trans parts machining & treating. I still do all the work on my car (fluids, brakes, suspension, clutch, axles) but my wife thinks it’s a waste of time (probably is). But if I want it done right I gotta do it myself, right?? I used to trick out my cars. Not to look cool and never to be loud but with big turbo, forged internals, tuning ECUs with a laptop while driving :smiley: . One of them I had to crouch down and funnel a bottle of water into a reservoir inside the front bumper each time I’d go to the gas station for the home-made water injection system. I … have a problem when it comes to hobbies. But there is never enough time for them all. Oh I had a British sports car for a while that I applied much of my race car knowledge to, and so greatly regret selling around 6 years ago. It also had genuine Shag carpeting and paisley interior from the 1st owner (I was 3rd owner) installed in the early 70s!

2 Likes

From what I’ve seen everybody’s going to these types of cars where I’m located. Indigestion, constipation and urban sprawl has caused congestion problems in my location. It stinks. 01414_4rzyImUpBYF_600x450 So I keep on keeping and maintaining my stable and keep it clean has made my daily a stud. 78’ F350 00U0U_7tAyDXlk2RE_600x450 One I’ve been working on since 1993. Has only 39’s now as I had to sell the 47’s to pay for tickets and have had to buy SR22 . Happy to pass my gas fumes onto these “fart cars” as I go by or over them. Considered my mass transit vehicle. 79’ 4 ton Military. Probably only legal in the USA and proud of it!

00m0m_ll8WEsTM0XQ_600x450 Zszs

3 Likes

IMG_20171216_151027986_HDR Awesome trucks! I live a block from the ocean and parking (when I’m working) is a huge problem. I bought this about 3 months ago… all electric… LOL… it gets a lot of looks and my biz name is lettered on the back window. I gotta say, I LOVE driving it!

2 Likes

@nicmizer Thoughts of Tim the Toolman, ARF ARF that’s big time beefcake. Not what I build but I sure respect it. They’re beautiful looks like you do them right. Bravo sir @miamimark Ever seen the videos of guys who put turbo motorcycle engines in those? Super car go cart on the street. Or a sandrail for the city

1 Like

This is Hetty, she is a Mini Cooper 35 Anniversary edition in Almond Green.  Mini

5 Likes