So I got a new tin of snuff today

When I opened it I found it had an unusual (for me) appearance on the upper lid. 

I wanted to post a photo of it but cannot seem to make that work.

So the inside of the lid is covered in what looks like wet snuff that has dried forming patches all over it. The patches are a couple of millimeters in size and have irregular edges.

Otherwise the contents look ok and smell ok. 

What am I looking at (if anything at all)?
Is it usable or should I get rid of it? 

It looks like the tin lid was slightly bent and may have compromised the contents, but I really don’t know. 
I won’t name names (not looking to have a go at anybody, just trying to understand) but suffice it to say this is a first for me, and as a relative newbie I don’t know if it is safe to use or not.

I would appreciate any thoughts on the subject and in the meantime I will try to figure out how to post a photo as I am sure this would be much clearer than my muddled explanation.

A photo would do wonders. Have you had this snuff before, if you have does it have an off or strange smell? What brand and type of snuff are we looking at? An artisan snuff? Is it Coarse or fine grind? High or none moisture?

Ok, well i sent this in a private message to the OP, but using http://file.army or http://supload.com are going to be much easier than uploading to here directly. ( plus you will earn some bitcoin, but I don’t want to get into that discussion again )

You can see this video where I explain how to do it exactly.

Inability to upload pictures usually happens due to image size (in mbs/kbs). Reduce the image file size to around 500 kb and it should upload just fine I guess.

It really depends on what the snuff is. I understand your desire not to point anybody out, but it would help tremendously to know what exactly you were talking about.

Hi folks thanks for the useful comments. 

@yisraeldov I took your advice and got one uploaded. Here is the link below. This should be better than my poor explanation.

@Amon no this is the first time I have ordered this brand and type.

As to naming names if the general consensus is after viewing the photo that the brand would assist then I am happy to put in brand and type.

https://file.army/i/z8yhB4

Here you go…

snuff - Edited

Looks like the top tin is starting to decompose or something and snuff is sticking to it. But the snuff looks good. I’d probably take a test toot and glass it and toss the tin. ?

Looks like maybe it sat for a while and the humectant rose to the top. Does the snuff up on top seem moister than the snuff at the bottom?

Watch out for old tins… some times you can get one from a shop that has had it on the shelves for years. And who knows how long it was on the distributer’s shelf before that.

Yeah, it looks like corrosion to me. I have thrown tins away for that. If there’s any metallic taste to the snuff, I’d probably discard it and put it down to experience/education.

1 Like

Scrape some of it off and take a magnet to it. This should tell you if its rust or the snuff’s doing strange things.

1 Like

that looks like corrosion and generally when that happens I say get rid of the tin and maybe the top layer of snuff and put the left over snuff in a new container. 

I would sent it to the company, mentioning the retailer and waiting for a replacement or at least,for an answer!

Thank you to all of you who have provided advice on the issue. It appears the consensus is to not use it. 

@Hitsuzen it seems to be consistent in moisture. I can’t detect any significant variation.

@Amon I tried the magnet and it didn’t affect the contents. What I did notice was that there was a strong musty smell when I scraped some of the contents off the lid. That suggests to me that it has spoiled. I didn’t notice it initially when taking the lid off as the snuff is fairly strongly scented.

@50ft_trad I think that on balance I will take your approach and I will play it safe by disposing of the tin and contents. 

@tobaccobob The bottom line for me is that the purchase cost was so low that the time and effort spent following up with the retailer will outweigh the value, although there is an argument for us as users to provide quality control. 

By way of update when I emptied the tin contents the whole tin is etched in the same way as the lid and there is a stronger musty smell. I think it is safe to conclude that the contents were spoiled by the quality of the tin used. I am of the view that the contents are mouldy. 

This was my first foray into a particular type of snuff and I am unlikely to go there again given this. I will stick to tried and true in future. 

1 Like

I won’t be purchasing this type of snuff either!

So do the rest of us get to know which snuff and where from, or do other people have to buy rusty tins of contaminated snuff too?

5 Likes

Just pointing out that rust is not magnetic, the metal has bonded to oxygen and is therefore no longer affected by magnetism just like the iron in your blood.  So your magnet test doesn’t prove anything.

And it looks to me to be corrosion, if it were mold the snuff would have fuzzy mycelium growing all through it.

1 Like

What Snuff? And a Email should be sent to the company concerning the quality of their tins. Maybe they can have tins rust treated with a coating. The salt content in the curing process may had been too high. And so, is a manufacturing defect. 

1 Like

@Roderick, Thank you for your comments. I have contacted the retailer Snuff Store and advised them of the issue. They quickly gave me an account credit and accepted that there was an issue. I am very happy with their customer service. They advised they will follow up with the manufacturer.

In any event I have also emailed the manufacturer with a photo of the issue to ensure that they keep on top of their quality control issues. I will report back on what if any action they take with me. Thanks for that advice @basement_shaman.

@50ft_trad it concerns me greatly about outing a business when it might be a one-off issue. However I suspect whichever way I go on the issue of naming the brand or not I will take heat. 

Perhaps a sensible resolution would be for those with sufficient interest to PM me and I will respond that way. Then whatever you choose to do with the information is up to you.

I am open to any other advice on how to approach the matter. Feel free to chime in.

2 Likes