snuff and tobacco jewish law

@MrSnuff

Thanks for looking into it, It is one of the reasons that I have be reluctant to place another order ( everything from the last order is already gone )

Do you ship a lot to Israel ? I know there are lots of snuff users here but most don’t have internet connection. 

3 Likes

@yisraeldov

yes we ship to Israel. I just took a quick peak and we ship to various Israeli customers several times every week. Not a huge market, but certainly a market nonetheless.

1 Like

@ yisraeldov & mrsnuff a lot of interesting information about the Israel market Does anyone know about 6 photo snuff there ?

2 Likes

@sixphoto I’ve never seen anything here except for WoS and israeli snuff.

2 Likes

So which are the major brands and manufacturers of Israel ?

2 Likes

I don’t think there are any “major” brands, most are just someone making in their basement.

2 Likes

That’s quite nice to read actually like Jewish people slipping a few bucks to Christian neighbours to light their fires for them on the Sabbath: interesting!

1 Like

@matteob, not sure where you got that from but that is not permitted in jewish law. 

1 Like

Ohhh I did not know that. It was a common practice though in London back in the day I believe. I read it somewhere. I might have got my facts wrong though!

1 Like

@yisraeldov i have heard (and read) pretty simmiliar stories about shabes gojim who are doing things (work) which is forbidden by jewish law. Even heard a story about a story about one rabbi who is heavy smoker while he was invited somewhere on Saturday (in the day time) and he met a fellow smoker (a non Jew) and he asked him repeatedly if he can lit his cigarette and after few (re)lights, those fellow aked him: Do you lost your lighter Dear Sir? And he replies No, I am just ordinary Jew and I am not allowed to light a fire during Sabbath. And the fellow replies Ah I see…
Jack

3 Likes

While there is such a thing as a shabbos goy, it is only permited to use in very limited circumstances. Smoking is defiantly not one of the circumstances.  Even if it was permitted to have a non-jew light a cigarette (it’s not ) it would not be permitted to inhale, because it would cause it to burn faster.  The laws of “Amira Lakum” ( asking something from a non-jew) are very complex, and I wouldn’t be surprised if some one was mistaken.  Also it is important to know that not everyone who may look like a rabbi is one ( even if they call them selves rabbi ). Growing a beard and buying a hat is easy. 

But this thread is getting away from snuff and might get closed as religious discussion. 

2 Likes

I enjoy the discussion tbh. I read it in an autobiography I think. A young lad saying how his Jewish neighbours gave him some pocket money to go in and light their fire.

1 Like

Tobacco has not been around the civilized world that long, about 500 years. The religion had been around much longer. Must be a fairly new law: less than 500 yrs old.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=deB_u-to-IE

2 Likes

We are going to get this thread closed.

@basement_shaman

Your logic is flawed. 

First of all 500 years is half a millennium not a century.

Second just because guns weren’t around 1000 years ago doesn’t mean that there did not already exist a prohibition against murder. 

There is a prohibition against burning on shabbos, doesn’t matter what. But burning tobacco will fall under that prohibition if it wasn’t around  thousands of years ago.

It should be obvious that I’m oversimplifying the prohibition by calling it “burning,”  but I need to use terms that you all, being completely unfamiliar with Jewish law, can understand.

4 Likes

So happy I am a Reprobate  Infidel  Heretic Cynic Heathen. >:) 
It is true,  I will never understand law. Here are some silly ones. 

2 Likes

Bingo games cannot last more than 5 hours (North Carolina) ,Chickens are not allowed to cross the road (Quitman, Georgia) ,If you cut down a cactus, you could be sentenced to 25 years in prison (Arizona) ,Policemen are allowed to bite a dog if they think it will calm the dog down (Paulding, Ohio]

5 Likes

On a totally different subject (though I find Judaism fascinating) just how vile is that bubblegum snuff? I quite liked the traditional bubble gum as a boy. No need to close the thread surely? We are all gentlemen (I hope)

1 Like

@matteob I think that most of us are gentlemen.

I can’t  stand the bubble gum snuff. Even being next to an open tin.

3 Likes

Hi yisraeldov, I do think religious topics are interesting if they are posted for edification and not for evangelising.
As with many things it’s a matter of context and intent

4 Likes

I agree its a shame we cannot talk about snuff and religion. The way I see it as long as theres no preaching, attempting to covert members or insulting or defaming other people for their beliefs, I do not see an issue with it. Though I cant be 100% sure I believe the members who have done this in the past have had their accounts deleted for repetitive ungentlemanly behavior. Though even with a blanket statement bann on no religious talk, there should be an exception for borderline religious material considering the main topic is of snuff and not religion. In my opinion anyway.

2 Likes