Using CO2 to preserve bulk snuff?

I was wondering if it is possible to use CO2 gas as an inert gas instead of N2 while storing snuff? Or would the oxygen molecules work in the same way as O2 and oxidize the scents in the snuff. I only ask due to me having a huge canister of CO2 and no N2 gas

Have you considered oxygen absorbers? You can buy them inexpensively from places that deal in storable foods/survivalist food. Fill up containers, toss a few absorbers in and you’re done.

I do know that using oxygen absorbers will dry out any snuff that is kept moist via H2O witch is quite a few of them.

I didn’t think about that, nicmizer.

Sounds like far too much pissing about to me. I’ve just gone for sticking it in glass jars, and only ever open it to fill smaller glass jars. Worried about spoilage? Buy more! :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

What’s wrong with just filling glass jars with snuff? I’ve never heard of preserving tobacco with inert gas.

2 Likes

If anybody has questions about this topic they need to hit the books and learn from past topics and discussions. We need new discussion here as old is monotonous.

1 Like

@Ubiquitous I always try to keep the glass jars atleast 80% full though they never seem to stay that way for very long :stuck_out_tongue: I’m just trying to keep the snuff as fresh as when I bought it. I figured possibly using an inert gas would displace the oxygen and keeping it fresh for a very long time.

@nicmizer I couldn’t find any info besides two vague comments made years back, thats what gave me the idea. If you have any info on this feel free to share.

Maybe vacuumed sealing technique may be the true answer???

I might just try my last comment as I am able to do so.

@nicmizer thank you I will look into this

@aamon Buy smaller jars, or increase your snuff intake. :wink:

2 Likes

Sounds like a lot of fuss. I would just put the snuff in airtight glass (mason) jars. It’s worked for me, I have bulk from three years ago that’s fresh as daisies. @nicmizer I agree about hitting the books. It seems that people used to use the search a lot more. I’d rather see necro threads that pull good advice back up than new threads that repeat the same info anyway.

2 Likes