Anyone else a secret snuffer?

I wouldn’t say so much secret I have my friends who sometimes partake or just accept it, but with family they think it’s “fucking weird and gross” as my sister put it. Just switched companies so I’ll give them all time to know me before I come out of the snuff closet at my workbench

1 Like

@Benner Just the opposite I classify myself as a “terces” $nuffer! I do not hide what I like in l life.

I think common sense is required about using tobacco snuff in public.

I read a few years ago about a chap from England sitting with his family in a foreign airport, in hotter climes.

He openly whipped out his tin of snuff and indulged in a few pinches.

The security staff thought he was on some sort of drug and pounced on him.

Apparently it took some explaining that it was a relatively harmless tobacco product.

He could have really found himself in hot water in some less informed draconian countries.

I’m with Lunecat, Out & open about it!!! After all I am a grown man & need no ones approval. The more they see it used, the more it will be excepted!!! Remember that.  G’Day Gents

Great thread. For about the first year, no one knew. One day my wife noticed–“Are you taking SNUFF!?”. Me “yes”. She “you’ll rot your nose out”. That was the end of the discussion. Other than at work, where tobacco is illegal, I snuff whenever I feel like. If bystanders don’t like it, too bad for them.

Nah. I got strange looks from friends and family for a while, now it’s just normal. They rarely even mention it now. My mother still tells me I’m crazy though…

I don’t make a spectacle of snuff taking but I don’t hide it either. I take snuff around the house with my family and at work around my coworkers. I have no issues taking snuff in public as I’ve found that most people can’t see past their various bits of technofetishism to the world actually taking place around them. And if someone does happen to notice it doesn’t bother me. I just take out my box and take my pinch as if everything is normal, precisely because (for me anyway) it is normal. As Adam Savage so eloquently put it, “I reject your reality and substitute my own.”

3 Likes

My girlfriend objected to the frequency of my cigar smoking, so our compromise was I snuff behind her back. She thought I cut down the stogies for her too! I’m glad it happened, as my taste in cigars is higher than my income. Made the most of a bad thing and it was a win-win. Nobody at work knows I hit the snuff bullet now and then either, and why tell them? Definitely not ashamed of my secret source aromatic nicotine bliss. Just wish I personally knew some fellow snuffers.

4 Likes

I’m in the open with my snuff use. I consider myself a snuff disciple of sorts. When people ask, I tell them how much safer it is and mention that I used snuff to quit cigarettes. I always offer them a pinch. There are a lot of “dippers” in my area. The Skoal and Copenhagen users. They find it odd I put the tobacco in my nose instead of in my cheek as they do.

2 Likes

You could give them a history lesson about how their moist snuff evolved from our dry snuff.

4 Likes

I work in a strict “no tobacco” environment so naturally my coworkers have no idea I’m snuffing throughout the day.

1 Like

For those of us who have restricted access to snuff during the day/night due to work etc, how do you cope? Do you abstain? Use something else? At times I have to travel with colleagues or go to long meetings and struggle to be honest. I usually resort to nicotine gum or similar. I have used SNUS in the past but it tends to give me a sore throat. Sometimes when I buy gum I get stuck on it for days before finding my way back to snuff. Defies logic because I love snuff for more than just the nic but gum (for me) is more immediate. I can easily use 24 pieces of 2mg gum a day but only about 5mg ish of snuff.

I am open at work, but as yet I have not told my wife - she doesn’t like my smoking cigars or pipes too often (the former being very seldom, the latter maybe once or twice a week) so I she might take some convincing about the lower health risks.

As for coping, I am not at a stage where I HAVE to snuff.  I can imagine getting there, though.  I usually only pinch in the afternoons and evenings (evenings when my wife is not there!) but on days when I can’t do so for one reason or another, I find that I do have a greater urge to pinch the following day.  Not sure if that is addiction from the snuff itself or more just the habit though

I find you have a similar addiction to me. I can go days sometime weeks or even months without using snuff. But sometimes I crave it every couple hours. I am pretty shurel it is all 95% mental and 10% fiscal. If that makes scenes!? I truly believe it’s 100% mood.

1 Like

@Clootie if i’m in town I would go to the bathroom and take a couple of pinches. I have been using the custom gem due to it high nicotine content, coarse grind (more slow release) and it doesnt make my nose run. If i’m around regular company they all know that I take snuff and what it is, so I take whatever really.

I use it everywhere. If I’m doing work in a hospital I don’t do it around others but it’s a tobacco free facility (all tobacco, not just cigarettes/cigars) and I could get fired for doing so legal or not.

@Oregon, I’m right there with you. I work at a tobacco free hospital with you. Only 2 other people at work know I snuff at work, and they snuff as well. I do carry some herbal snuff, for smelly patient rooms and I snuff that when needed.

1 Like

@Psicko Hedges L260 does wonders for foul odors. :wink:

@Oregon that may be due to not being able to smell anything after a Hedges pinch for a good 30 minutes!

1 Like

@Oregon, that may be true, but when I’m the primary nurse, I probably go into the rooms several hundred times a shift. I can’t afford to be overdosing in the nicotine, hence the herbal menthol scent.

1 Like