"Whats the Best Way to Store Snuff"

A question… for those that store all their snuffs in a couple of glass airtight containers, is it ok to mix flavors of snuff together? Coming from snus, I know that you want to store like flavors with like, or they will mix in their bag in the freezer. I have some mason jars, and just plan to store my snuff in the closet, but should mentholated snuffs be kept separate? Thanks all!

@CzechCzar No mixing and yes keep menthol’s separate. If you insist on keeping snuff in the original tins put each one in a separate zip lock baggie. If you plan on creating a large collection 100 plus snuffs invest in 2 ounce glass jars. Just empty the snuff into a jar and label it or remove label and stick it to the jar. Baby food jars work well. or you can purchase small jelly jars.

Does this–refrigeration–apply to the schmalzers, too? Or would that have an adverse effect on the oil used?

1 Like

Best way to store snuff? … in your nose :smiley:

3 Likes

in your pockets. How else are you gonna snuff it when you’re out and about.

Would big mason jars with Boveda Pack cigar humidor packets to keep humidity in jar/humidor be good for storing snuffs to keep them moist? I hate snuffs drying out lol I want to fill huge mason jar with SWS and Bernard Tap boxes with that Boveda Pack to keep them moist.

You shouldn’t need humidity for sealed tap boxes. I’m also thinking that the humidity packs might be too much humidity for snuff. I’m not sure of the rh of nasal snuff, but it definitely is much less than cigars and pipe tobacco. The lowest rh bag that boveda makes is 32%. They also claim that I’d they don’t have one for your application they can make it, but not sure what that takes. Anyone know the rh range of snuff? I know there will be a difference between the usual Poschls offerings and an American scotch.

So, I ordered 450g of f&t hdt, 450g Wilson’s iht22, 500g DW and 150g WE. I have never done bulk like this before. Do I want to separate these into smaller glass jars? I remember a post a while back about the locking glass jars being good for storage. These are obviously all very dry snuffs. Is air in the original container going to mess up the flavor? Just want to know if I need to acquire something better for long term storage.

@agentshags, I personally would separate them into smaller amounts, I’ve never ordered big bulk like that though. My guess is too much air they would dry up even more and lose their scents. I could be wrong though.

2 Likes

@agentshags don’t carry your eggs in one basket is the old saying. If you know or own a vacuum food storage system .and package it in usable sizes it should last forever without changing . I just use packer bottles. 2.5 oz is a good size.  fine dry snuff you could pack it solid to the top and they may hold 50 grams. I don’t trust tins they can rust and plastic can perminate some plastic even leaches into snuff.

Here a link to the ones I use.  http://www.freundcontainer.com/2+5-oz-cobalt-blue-glass-wide-mouth-packer-bottles-black-phenolic-cap/p/4235B03/  You may be able to find less expensive glass but these have served me well. Any glass jar will work if it has a good seal. If you plan on using the wire bale jars wet the rim and the back side of the rubber gasket to insure a proper seal. Baby food jars have a good seal and if you know a breeder you can ask them to save em for ya. 

Just keep out of direct sunlight and avoid storing in areas with drastic temperature changes. Even though the snuff is dry to the touch, condensation can cause problem. even rocks have water in them.

2 Likes

Hi I ve just received a pack of 20 gletscher prise 10g box, I guess the best way to conserve it is to put it as it is in a desk drawer ?

1 Like

@basement_shaman thanks, I have them in a basket waiting to finalize now. ~50g per jar you say? How thick is the glass on these? are the lids airtight? A bit more $ than I was hoping to spend, but if they are good quality, I suppose I can look at it as an investment :slight_smile:

16oz ball jars from Walmart for bulk snuff and pipe tobacco. 2-4 oz of pipe tobacco, or roughly 200 grams of snuff, depending on the grind and moisture content (and if you pack it in).

Don’t think this is “the best way” to store but will keep it organized and together with some security from getting crushed. 9-10g. Tins fit perfectly. Thanks Santa for the lifesavers and some fresh Toque!! IMG_20161225_125610

1 Like

The temperature where I live (coastal city of Mumbai) of India is ranging from 24 degrees Celsius to 40 degrees Celsius in summers. Right now it is 24 degrees Celsius with humidity at around 70%. Can you experienced folks advise if I really need to store the original snuff boxes they come in, in airtight containers or whether just storing them in a cool dark place (like the cupboard) would do? And yeah, you can check up the weather in Mumbai. It’s pretty humid in the summers and rains. Asking this since I read somewhere that in a place like Florida it’s OK to just store snuff in their original boxes and no special storage is required. Considering the above, what is the best way I can store snuff considering I want to store for at least 3-4 years? Thanks in advance.

If you are going store snuff for a long period of time, you are going to want to store them in airtight containers.

I just use standard mason jars sealed up tight. For long term storage the snuff gets refrigerated. I unfortunately don’t have enough excess on hand to warrant refrigeration in most cases though.

logo2_1440565524__58362 These I now work best! Most all the Artisan snuff makers use these. Located in Seattle and Memphis. Shipping, price and packaging are all top notch. Chef Daniel turned me onto these and is all I’ll use.

1 Like

@nicmizer Those look excellent! I’ll have to make an order.

If I am opening quite alot of 25g tins. I transfer some of the snuff over to a collection of small empty Toque tins then dip into those until they are empty and then repeat. This stops me from opening the 25g tins every time I want a pinch and keeps the 25g tin fresh. I typically run a piece of tape along the seal on my SG style tins.

1 Like