Tips for taking White Elephant (and other fine snuffs)

A very small spoon. I have no better advice. Other than previously said, it will get easier eventually. Then when you try some Willie Pete you will think the White Elephant is just over mild.

A certain amount of snuff will be wasted when you do whites it’s just part of the process. Even if you use a spoon some will fall out of your nose/get on your face. The stuff is so fine it gets everywhere with the tiniest movement. Probably 10-20% of every pinch ends up going on the floor/in the air when I do it.

Deep breath in so your lungs are full of air. Close off your throat as if you’re swallowing something. Pinch and place your fingers to you nose [almost placing it in the base of the nostril] and then snuff it in as if you’re swallowing whilst keeping your throat closed - Much harder to explain than do! Whites and other fine snuffs are often really difficult for ne snuffers (were for me anyways!) the full lungs and closed throat should stop you getting a throat/lung hit which is really undesirable - Good luck, stay with it and you’ll be appreciating the subtle ‘nutty/buttery’ flavours of whites and toasts in no time :wink:

I like this approach. I tend to do something similar but without the full lung of air. It gets SPs to the right place anyhow.

A very small spoon. I have no better advice. Other than previously said, it will get easier eventually. Then when you try some Willie Pete you will think the White Elephant is just over mild.

Thanks @coreymillia‌ I’ll see if I can work up to Willie Pete, just read the reviews on Mr Snuff - sounds as though it blows your eyeballs out!

Deep breath in so your lungs are full of air. Close off your throat as if you’re swallowing something. Pinch and place your fingers to you nose [almost placing it in the base of the nostril] and then snuff it in as if you’re swallowing whilst keeping your throat closed - Much harder to explain than do!

I started doing this intuitively when taking one of my WoS or the Braniff Caribbean, only way for me to take them properly so far. If we talk about the same thing, its actually some kind of reverse swallowing, isnt it?! When swallowing, the larynx moves upward and comes down again, when i do this, its the opposing way (when doing option 1. the larynx stays at the minimum of its movement for seconds, when doing 2. it instantly goes back up after reaching the minimum). @Thunderbird I guess it doesnt rly make a difference if your lung is filled with air or empty regarding the technique itself. With full lungs you have more time to get your pinch in your nostril and therefore you can sniff 1. more gently and consistently (you might probably not even feel any kind of air draught at all, yet the snuff leaves your finger/spoon/whatever). When your lungs are full, you will have to hurry up, because of running out of oxygen, so you will want to sniff 2. more suddenly (not good when taking very fine snuffs i guess :wink: ) In both cases the vacuum is NOT generated in your lungs. This larynxminimum thing could help to learn combined with a mirror :smiley:

My only tips for WE is you have to first enjoy the thought of putting something that smells a lot like fish food up your nose. And maybe leaving it in a cigar humidor for a week or two can make it very nice, and less fishy.

The “throat pop” method will allow you to snuff the finest of the fin. Someone explained it really well in a thread but I cannot remember who or where it was and can’t seem to find it. Same type of action as making your ears pop, but with a closed mouth. So, with mouth closed, click your jaw/tongue like you are trying to yawn, only swiftly. Does not seem like much, but plenty of pull to sniff fine snuff with little to no discomfort. I usually pop and then give a little real sniff, variation to the technique will come with practice. Hope this helps.

with whites I just stuff them into my nose. I use the back of my finger nail to get a pile put the back of the nail bellow the nose hole entrance and then wiggle it back and forth for a second or two squeze the nostril shut and that’s the only way I can do them happily. Remember hold your breath while doing this.

My apologies for not seeing this before my recent discussion post. Will persevere with the elephant.

for lung protection i sometimes use “sneezing snuff” it is completely herbal and a tiny pinch makes at least 20 sneezes :slight_smile:

and other tip for taking fine snuffs is licking the fingertips slightly before pinching. I call it quick humidation.

The easiest way to get use to white’s[or any dry snuff] is to hydrate a snuff box full. As the snuff get dryer every day your nose will acclimate for the slight change until it is back to original dryness.

@basement_shaman that’s a fine idea…I’ll have to give that a shot. Up until now, I’ve gone with @bob’s approach (what I like to call "Manual Application :smiley: )

Looking for good tips for taking fine snuffs such as White Elephant. When pinching or trying to set up a box car most of it ends up on my fingers. Don’t really want to use a spoon but think that might be my only option. How does everyone else do it?

I was going to say: use a spoon. Seriously, I doubt I’d know how to handle White Elephant without a spoon, now that I’ve got used to it. And I’d thoroughly recommend the steel spoons that Mister Snuff sells. An excellent tool. Alternatively, if you have a pipe tool around the house – and doesn’t everyone? – then that reaming blade thing, while pretty useless for reaming, is quite good as a make-shift snuff spoon.

I’ve found the key to be judging how far away from my nostril to hold the pinch before sniffing. I’ve got that down now, so am working on getting the whole pinch on at once rather than feeding it in excruciatingly slowly. It’s going well after a few weeks of practice and I’m loving the whites (even Dholakia)! I would say ‘stick at it!’ as I nearly blew my head off and destroyed my lungs the first few times, but it’s definitely got much easier … and they’re fantastic snuffs!

One annoyance with the whites is that if you sniff them light enough you also sniff so light that a lot falls on the floor/your clothes, that stuff gets everywhere. Still love 'em but when I sweep up there’s a lot of tan dust in that pile. Edit: @basement_Shaman yeah I enjoy that sometimes as well, especially if I’m out and about, it really doesn’t take much so no mess

I like a sharp quick snuff for it knocks my eye out .Rarely has any snuff fall out. Instant nicotine rush that satisfies . Sure, there is a little pain, but ah so much pleasure. I have the opposite problem; course moist snuff tend to fall out unless I squeeze my nostrils to embed it into place.

i have to say the 150gr tin was fresher than the 35gr i just went through. More flavor to it as well. Nice and strong! I kinda get it on my hands because I literally pinch it but none comes out of the nose unless you breathe it out- then it will go into your eyes! This snuff is FUN

Apart from using a kuripe (which I do quite a lot these days) is the following: spoon a couple of pinches on the back of your hand, well spaced, and then smooth the pinches out into the thinnest “pancake” there is room for. Then just insufflate as usual. I’ve never had a problem with this method … and I take pretty hefty pinches. Apologies if this has been said elsewhere.

1 Like

@Omgroma that’s basically what I do. Spoon a portion on to the back of my hand, press it down flat and sniff. Works perfectly.

1 Like