Cleaning Up

Hi Everyone, As a new snuffer, I have a few questions regarding cleanup: 1) Do you swallow your throat drip? If so, why? 2) Do you clean out your nose before you go to bed? If so, why and how? I ask these things, because I’ve been waking up and spitting out snuff from the previous day. You guys are great! Thanks :slight_smile: troop

If you get a large amount of drip, you may be snuffing it too deep. With some snuffs it is very common, like my beloved Viking Dark. I have actually grown to like the drip weirdly enough. I usually do a spray of a saline nasal spray if my nose feels dry or irritated and do a neti pot about once every two weeks, but other than that I just leave it up to my nose to clean itself out. The body is actually very good at cleaning out the nose by itself.

Only certain snuffs give me noticeable run or drip- those times I don’t mind swallowing the little bit. As for cleaning out my nose before bed- I certainly do so I can take a little more before I don my CPAP and drift off to sleep. At first I was worried the pressure would force snuff into my sinuses but alas to date (several years now) I have had no issues- though I tend to avoid the drier snuffs at night, if for no other reason than to have something heavier that to me “lasts” longer. When I wake I tend to pile on a hefty dose of something like Thor’s or Hedges L260 to open things up- so by the time I hit the shower I can just blow my nose and clear things up.

Thanks for the insight :slight_smile: @ProfessorSalty I’m thinking of getting a shipment of Viking Dark. How does it compare to Viking Brown? Is it very much similar? The latter has a very strong smoky flavor and it tends to get a bit boring. How’s the nicotine content in Viking Dark?

I do get runny nose and large amounts of drip from almost all the snuffs. Menthols seem to do it more than others, but even dry SP type snuffs do it for me. That might be due the amount I snuff though, I use quite a lot. I don’t usually swallow the drip, mainly because of the taste, but schmalzlers and light SPs don’t taste that bad so I do it with them. The most awful drip I have got was from Bernard Gekachelter Virginie, the drip burned like hell and it tasted bad too.

@troop111 - Viking dark is stronger in scent profile than the brown even more smoky; vitamin N is about the same :slight_smile: You sholdn’t get too much in the way of throat drip really if you get your technique down a bit, aim to get it just inside of your nose and try to aviod sniffing it back. Ideally it should drip out the front of the nose rather than down your throat. Fairly frequent nose blowing goes along with snuff taking unfortunately; best to invest in some snuff hankys (cheap dark cotton bandanas off eBay are brilliant) or some black tissues (a google moment for you there) are good for this task; as white isn’t the most attractive colour to be covered in brown snuff. However, the blowing has a positive effect: Less/no nasty throat drip, and the less residue that left inside the nostrils the more flavor/nicotine you’ll get off your next pinch. As @Sgtjon hints at, menthol type snuffs can be really useful in your rotation for facilitating a ‘blow out’, course snuffs also work in this regard for me personally, though this doesn’t seem true for everyone. generally moist snuff is easier to keep in the right spot than fine dry snuff. The counter intuative ‘big pinch’ lightly insnuffalated it more effective than small pinches deeply or sharply taken. I gently sniff a little warm water out of the palm of my hand in the shower every morning and blow it out too, works for me, might be worth a try to see how it suits you. Good luck! :slight_smile:

1 Like

1 no I normally don’t get drip but I am a long time snuff taker 2 Some go and use a neti pot , I just take a hot shower and that losing it up and it all comes out.

Take small pinches Don’t snort, sniff Find snuff grinds that suit you Don’t search for the bad in something you enjoy

Take small pinches Don’t snort, sniff Find snuff grinds that suit you Don’t search for the bad in something you enjoy

Great post! I would however tweak it slightly to… “Find snuff that suits you” Certain snuffs give me a bad drip, but it’s not just the grind that can make or break a snuff for you. Smaller pinch sizes may help, even if you have to increase the frequency. Don’t try to cram your nose full, your body will become more effective at extracting the nicotine from each pinch over time. Keeping it towards the front of the nose will also help. If you’re still getting a throat drip, try other snuffs to see how they compare. In your case it may be the leaf, fermentation/curing method, or even the sauce that affects you differently. Experiment, what works for others won’t always work for you.

Excellent posts! You guys have helped a great deal, thank you! :slight_smile:

Before I go to bed, I blow my nose out real well, and spit up any remaining throat drip, but when I wake up I have still have a wad of mucus and snuff that I need to spit out. It’s like a ball of black tobacco. I just want to check if this is normal :smiley: Thanks everyone :slight_smile:

@troop111 the same thing happens to me. For me my post nasal drip causes it, I just cough it up once in the morning and I’m good to go.

@troop111 as far as I am concerned the answer to your first question is most the time it’s right down the ole gullet. There are occasions (mainly with Schmalzlers) that I will test the wind direction but I have no grey hair Indian Chief next to me to tell others what I am doing. How many of you will catch that movie reference? The second question is answered in the order of how then why. The short of it is that I am the type of person that needs to shower twice a day, so in the evenings just before bed I take that second shower. I load my nose with a snuff of my whim then sit (yes sit) in the warm steam. The steam seems to loosen everything up real good plus it seems to inhance the flavor of some snuffs. At the time of my choosing I apply the good ole West Virginia hankie to each nostril…I then rinse and repeat…no no wait wrong instructions…I then rinse the inside of my nose with saline solution. Then comes the real cleaner, I use a q-tip and swab out the inside until the q-tip can be removed clean, more saline, one more WVH and we are done, Right as Rain. Now for the and why part…pretty simple…I want my nose to be as clean as it can be for the last large pinch of the day. Old Mill Dreamcatcher deserves such! BTW before bed is the only time I use Dreamcatcher.

I don’t get throat drip often, but when I do… I swallow. I don’t do any special preparation prior to bed with the exception to a little saline mist in each nostril and a quick blow if needed if I’ve had a heavier than usual evening of snuffing.

This seems to be something to do with the snuffer’s physiology. Some people the snuff goes up their nose and seems to disappear as far as I can see. Some of us have to blow our nose pretty much every time we take a pinch within 5 to 10 minutes. I wish my nose didn’t run but so it goes.

@horus92, I am pretty much the same. I have to blow my nose after one or two pinches. I make three cotton hankies thoroughly dirty every day.