Funny Newbie Story

Being pretty new to this hobby I read this section of the forum constantly trying to pick up on technique tips. One constant tip was always to make sure you have a nice big pinch. Well, I kept getting throat hits and the advice for that as well was a nice big pinch. So i went bigger and bigger (the big pinch advice I read had never really specified what was meant by big). Well today I realized I was just being dumb because I finally found a thread where someone explained what they meant by a big pinch. Turns out its somewhere between an apple seed and a pea, maybe a little bigger. Me being completely new and not knowing any other snuffers I had started out at about a snus portion size and finding that I needed to go “bigger” went up to around how much my cousin dips at a time, which is quite large. I realize now that was stupid, there is no way on earth that much is going to fit in my nose, but for about three days by God I was determined it just wasn’t big enough. I went down to between an apple seed and a pea and my life got much better. Anyway thanks for the advice, but most thanks to whoever clarified what is meant by a big pinch.

There was a member here who used a regular teaspoon full when he could sneak a snuff. I think he was a teacher at a school that banned tobacco on school property.

@basement_shaman he’s more of a man than I’ll ever be lol. Must be in North Carolina for that rule. It was like that in highschool here. However, this is rural tobacco country North Carolina and no one cared. Teachers would bum a dip off the students and vice versa at my high school all the time. And football games? No tobacco on school premises my ass. It was the rule, but everyone was dippin, chewin, or smokin something.

for me a pinch is as much snuff as I can grab with my thumb and forefinger

@n9inchnails that is impressive. That is essentially what I was trying to do, but my hands are huge and the pinches were about the size of a quarter, which is much bigger than my nostrils. It just wasn’t working. Maybe I can do more as I get more experience, but right now the somewhere between an apple seed and a pea is working about perfectly for me. Also, for some reason switching off of Toque is helping too, perhaps their grind is too fine for me or something, but I’ve been doing Indian snuffs all day and they are pretty fine as well. Who knows.

Like in the US get yourself some American scotch and save $ and pinch size.

@nicmizer I have tried 6 different Scotches and have liked none. Dry, dusty, and very fine. Not my cup of tea, but that’s why there is so much variety.

Also, not a huge fan of the scent. I like smoky, but with the Scotches it’s just. …off to me. Maybe my nose can’t smell right because you guys all seem to love them, but I just can’t do them for some reason

Also, not a huge fan of the scent. I like smoky, but with the Scotches it’s just. …off to me. Maybe my nose can’t smell right because you guys all seem to love them, but I just can’t do them for some reason

Well try some oiled German kinds, they are easy to take and big pinch yields some serious Smokey goodness. Jabre275 is a good one IMO. Sweet, fruits, smoke and nic.

I’ve had those, they’re ok. I prefer WoS, old mill, kailash, dh medicated, viking dark, etc

I’d say a typical pinch is about as big around as a nickle and a little piled up.

That’s massive to me. I do good to take a bean sized pinch. Maybe someday I can hang with the masters lol

I’m with you woodsmith, that’s massive