Nicotine and Caffeine (Enjoy a Pinch of Snuff with your Espresso?)

Also I know a garbage truck driver from back when I working at a gas station who smoked cigarettes and drank coffee like it was part of his human anatomy.

Blue collared Norwegian lifestyle <3 I have to say though, Snuff is the least pleasant with coffee in therms of effects… compared to cigarettes and snus. Coffee goes best with cigarettes. The nicotine delivery sort of clenches the pleasure to new heights. Snuff doesn’t do much with coffee for me… except for the flavor addition, which I rather like, with for instance Cafe 11.

Cafe11 is the best of both worlds; plus chocolate which make everyone more tolerable :smiley:

Viking Dark and black coffee is how I start most of my days. It’s great how they compliment each other and balance each other out.

2 Likes

Yep…I do enjoy it. But not espresso…more like Chock Full o’ Nuts.

Also I know a garbage truck driver from back when I working at a gas station who smoked cigarettes and drank coffee like it was part of his human anatomy.

Blue collared Norwegian lifestyle <3 I have to say though, Snuff is the least pleasant with coffee in therms of effects… compared to cigarettes and snus. Coffee goes best with cigarettes. The nicotine delivery sort of clenches the pleasure to new heights. Snuff doesn’t do much with coffee for me… except for the flavor addition, which I rather like, with for instance Cafe 11.

Ah gotta disagree, I think snuff goes fabulously with coffee. Drinking coffee while smoking cigarettes or having snus under your lip would directly interfere with the taste of the coffee, whereas snuff gives your nose something to feast on while your tastebuds savor the coffee. (The scent in your nose does actually influence your sensation of taste slightly though, so there is still some synergy) I tried the coffee and cigarette thing a few times while I was in Europe (where a pack of cigarettes costs about $1 USD compared to about $13 USD here in NY). During my stay there I used to frequent a famous café in Vienna, Austria (Café Sperl), it had two sections, one smoking, one non-smoking, and the smoking section was covered in smoke, usually I went non-smoking but wanted to see if a cigarette went well with Melange and see if the combo was all it was cracked up to be by some Europeans. Besides difficulty even breathing in there, I found the smokiness of the cigarette interfered with the flavor of the coffee, and breathing smoke into my lungs just dried me out more than the coffee already does. Then again, I just don’t enjoy the taste or feel of cigarette smoking in general, don’t enjoy the sensation of inhaling tobacco smoke into my lungs, which I guess makes me a rarity on a forum where most people are smokers or ex-smokers who later got into snuff. I would quit nicotine completely if my only option were to buy $13 packs of cigarettes every day. I do sometimes enjoy a cigar or cigarillo- after evening coffee, accompanied by some wine or an after-dinner drink. (Nicotine and alcohol also synergize to increase the feelings of pleasure associated with each of them)

1 Like

@DivinusSalviarum I’m the same way. I have never been a regular cigarette smoker; I will occasionally puff on Natural American Spirit Perique cigs, but the smoke never goes past my mouth. I can’t stand smoke of any kinds in my lungs, be it tobacco smoke, smog, campfire smoke, or smoke from other plants. I got into cigars big first, then pipes, and still use both to a fair extent, and now I’m getting into snuff… As an aside, I never understood why more people in NY don’t (illegally) make runs to Pennsylvania for cigs. I’m in NY, not too far from the city, and 90 minutes from Pennsylvania. Packs of cigs run $9ish here, vs $4-6 in PA, so the savings from buying a single carton of cigs in PA would pay for the cost of gas to get there and back. The same thing also happens in states with high taxes on booze, hence the impressive array of liquor stores just over the borders in PA, Joysey, and Kentucky (Ohio has relatively higher sin taxes). I know I’ve seen stories that say that something like 80+% of the cigs smoked in NYC are illegal, and have not had state and city taxes paid on them (based on studies where people picked up discarded cigarette boxes and inspected them for the required tax stamps). I’ve also read that there is a lot of smuggling of cigarettes by organized crime from low-tax states like Virginia and the Carolinas up to the City; think about how many cartons of cigs one could fit in the trunk of a car, and then imagine the potential profit for gangs even if they sold the cartons for a mere $20 more than they paid.

I like a good hit (or 2 or 3) of a Toast (TNT or IHT 22) in each nostril with my Earl Grey Tea.

Give me some espresso and some good strong snuff and I am a happy guy. And if I kind find the right cigar to seal the deal on the pairing, well that would be absolute Nirvana.

As an aside, I never understood why more people in NY don’t (illegally) make runs to Pennsylvania for cigs. I’m in NY, not too far from the city, and 90 minutes from Pennsylvania. Packs of cigs run $9ish here, vs $4-6 in PA, so the savings from buying a single carton of cigs in PA would pay for the cost of gas to get there and back. The same thing also happens in states with high taxes on booze, hence the impressive array of liquor stores just over the borders in PA, Joysey, and Kentucky (Ohio has relatively higher sin taxes).

Well I would assume that people would see that as too much trouble to travel to another state just to buy some smokes. Because I never understood why people in Massachusetts would not make the trek to New Hampshire to save considerably on their smokes. I then realized that people would rather pay more for convenience. Versus buying cheaper cigarettes in bulk.

@DivinusSalviarum I’m the same way. I have never been a regular cigarette smoker; I will occasionally puff on Natural American Spirit Perique cigs, but the smoke never goes past my mouth. I can’t stand smoke of any kinds in my lungs, be it tobacco smoke, smog, campfire smoke, or smoke from other plants. I got into cigars big first, then pipes, and still use both to a fair extent, and now I’m getting into snuff… As an aside, I never understood why more people in NY don’t (illegally) make runs to Pennsylvania for cigs. I’m in NY, not too far from the city, and 90 minutes from Pennsylvania. Packs of cigs run $9ish here, vs $4-6 in PA, so the savings from buying a single carton of cigs in PA would pay for the cost of gas to get there and back. The same thing also happens in states with high taxes on booze, hence the impressive array of liquor stores just over the borders in PA, Joysey, and Kentucky (Ohio has relatively higher sin taxes). I know I’ve seen stories that say that something like 80+% of the cigs smoked in NYC are illegal, and have not had state and city taxes paid on them (based on studies where people picked up discarded cigarette boxes and inspected them for the required tax stamps). I’ve also read that there is a lot of smuggling of cigarettes by organized crime from low-tax states like Virginia and the Carolinas up to the City; think about how many cartons of cigs one could fit in the trunk of a car, and then imagine the potential profit for gangs even if they sold the cartons for a mere $20 more than they paid.

Well yeah any time my family would go on a trip to Pennsylvania, smokers we knew (an aunt, a family friend) would ask us to stock up on cartons of cigarettes from the local gas station. I enjoy the taste of smoke in my mouth from a fine cigar or cigarillo, but breathing smoke into my lungs does nothing for me. (Plus it’s far far worse for your health to breathe smoke into your lungs, not to mention all the chemicals and additives cigarette companies add to their products to cover up for the cheap low-grade tobacco inside). So I wouldn’t buy cigarettes even if they were only $4-6, just not my thing. The average New York smoker living in Brooklyn or Manhattan though isn’t going to be spending several hours in traffic driving back and forth to Pennsylvania to buy cigarettes, they’ll be paying the $13 at the local gas station. Maybe the high prices for cigs will drive more people to consider better alternative options, like snuff!

I have a about a 12 shot a day habit… Then again I’m also a barista. I carry a snuff box of either Hedges or Viking Dark depending on my mood and the weather. I basically drink good coffee all day and snuff when I can. It’s a lovely thing.

Ah gotta disagree, I think snuff goes fabulously with coffee. Drinking coffee while smoking cigarettes or having snus under your lip would directly interfere with the taste of the coffee… I tried the coffee and cigarette thing a few times while I was in Europe… wanted to see if a cigarette went well with Melange and see if the combo was all it was cracked up to be by some Europeans. Besides difficulty even breathing in there, I found the smokiness of the cigarette interfered with the flavor of the coffee, and breathing smoke into my lungs just dried me out more than the coffee already does. Then again, I just don’t enjoy the taste or feel of cigarette smoking in general…

So there are your reasons for not agreeing. First of all you are bothered about the smoke-filled setting and the smoke from your own cigarette… and you are not used to it. Also, you are focused on the flavor in this respect, not the stimulating euphoria I’m talking about. When you eagerly smoke naturally as if tobacco smoke was the very breath of god, and you are not distracted and uncomfortable about the details around smoking, you would probably notice (as i do anyway) that the way nicotine enters your system via cigarette smoking would clench (it literally tightens your blood vessels) the pleasure of caffeine to more extreme heights… Also there is a calming effect from cigarettes (and snus) which is not so much the case with snuff. That clenching battle between the calming nicotine and the stimulating coffee is truly a coctail for the stars. Two kinds of euphoria, and the one clenching and strengthening the other. It’s a delicious euphoric battle in your system. In the pits of addiction, chain smoking cigarettes to repeated cups of coffee feels amazing. You get up on coffee, down on a cigarette, up on coffee, down on the cigarette, etc. etc. It’s like masturbating your brain. But it’s highly unhealthy ofcourse.

Even though I haven’t had a cigarette in years, a Disque Bleu and an espresso would still count as my breakfast of champions!

Ah gotta disagree, I think snuff goes fabulously with coffee. Drinking coffee while smoking cigarettes or having snus under your lip would directly interfere with the taste of the coffee… I tried the coffee and cigarette thing a few times while I was in Europe… wanted to see if a cigarette went well with Melange and see if the combo was all it was cracked up to be by some Europeans. Besides difficulty even breathing in there, I found the smokiness of the cigarette interfered with the flavor of the coffee, and breathing smoke into my lungs just dried me out more than the coffee already does. Then again, I just don’t enjoy the taste or feel of cigarette smoking in general…

So there are your reasons for not agreeing. First of all you are bothered about the smoke-filled setting and the smoke from your own cigarette… and you are not used to it. Also, you are focused on the flavor in this respect, not the stimulating euphoria I’m talking about. When you eagerly smoke naturally as if tobacco smoke was the very breath of god, and you are not distracted and uncomfortable about the details around smoking, you would probably notice (as i do anyway) that the way nicotine enters your system via cigarette smoking would clench (it literally tightens your blood vessels) the pleasure of caffeine to more extreme heights… Also there is a calming effect from cigarettes (and snus) which is not so much the case with snuff. That clenching battle between the calming nicotine and the stimulating coffee is truly a coctail for the stars. Two kinds of euphoria, and the one clenching and strengthening the other. It’s a delicious euphoric battle in your system. In the pits of addiction, chain smoking cigarettes to repeated cups of coffee feels amazing. You get up on coffee, down on a cigarette, up on coffee, down on the cigarette, etc. etc. It’s like masturbating your brain. But it’s highly unhealthy ofcourse.

Well you’re entitled to your own experiences and opinions, I’m just saying based on my personal experiences, and in my personal opinion, that coffee goes better with a pinch of snuff than with a cigarette. If you were/are a lifelong smoker, then that means you enjoy smoking cigs to begin with, you became addicted to the pleasure associated with the behavior. As a non cig smoker who has smoked cigs only occasionally (usually while drunk), all the effects you describe as positive I would consider negative. Smoking more than 1 or 2 cigs is enough to make me feel nauseated having inhaled all that smoke. :-& Snuff calms me down more than a cigarette ever did. Just a pinch in each nostril to relax me and make me feel carefree. Maybe mine is a minority opinion here since, as I said, a lot of snuff users were/are lifelong cigarette smokers, whereas I never enjoyed cigs and only ever enjoyed snuff. Though I think my opinion may be more objective since I’ve never been addicted to cigarette smoking. Your body might have gotten “used” to all the negatives of cig smoking, but they are still there. The nicotine and caffeine are the same chemicals regardless of whether you are getting the nicotine from snuff or from a cigarette. The difference is that with the cigarette you are inhaling into your lungs the 7,000 different chemicals that result from the combustion of tobacco along with the 600 or so other chemical additives cig companies add to your pack of Marlboro Reds. Pretending that toxic chemical factory is the “very breath of god” is a tad bit of hyperbole, I’d say. ;:wink: Whereas with snuff, you are getting nothing but pure tobacco, and the nicotine it provides, delivered via a pleasant scent in your nose. I don’t think there is any science behind your experience that smoking cigs while drinking coffee results in a “clenching battle between the calming nicotine and the stimulating coffee is truly a coctail for the stars”. Nicotine and caffeine are both stimulants. As was the topic of this thread, nicotine allows you to consume more caffeine by speeding up the metabolism of caffeine, but both cause an increase in heart rate and speed your system up. Nicotine’s relaxing, pleasurable effects are due to it stimulating the release of serotonin, dopamine, and β-endorphin in the brain. And if you really want to taste tobacco smoke, smoke a fine cigar, not a nasty chemical-laden cig. >:P Since this the Snuff House, I feel entirely justified in stating unequivocally that snuff pwns cigs, with or without coffee. :wink:

2 Likes

I don’t think there is any science behind your experience that smoking cigs while drinking coffee results in a “clenching battle between the calming nicotine and the stimulating coffee is truly a coctail for the stars”. Nicotine and caffeine are both stimulants. As was the topic of this thread, nicotine allows you to consume more caffeine by speeding up the metabolism of caffeine, but both cause an increase in heart rate and speed your system up. Nicotine’s relaxing, pleasurable effects are due to it stimulating the release of serotonin, dopamine, and β-endorphin in the brain. Since this the Snuff House, I feel entirely justified in stating unequivocally that snuff pwns cigs, with or without coffee. :wink:

Yes, I agree with everything you wrote. I just wanted to reply to the above quoted paragraph that for whatever reason, however you may describe it scientifically and add to the fact that nicotine is still nicotine however you intake it - I still feel cigarettes to be more calming with coffee than snuff. Maybe it’s the added chemicals, maybe it is the way the body absorbs the nicotine in the form of smoke. Whatever it is, for some reason cigarettes are more calming than snuff for me and snuff more stimulating (though it does deliver a sense of satisfaction which is calming in itself, but it doesn’t exceed that “*sigh*-satisfaction” like cigarettes do). I am actually driven to ‘vocalize’ this to the extent that I am because I’m curious to see if it’s just me or if others experience the difference the same way I do. I mean, it’s a curious phenomenon. And to the bottom quoted sentence I would like to say you should feel justified stating your opinion and experience no matter where you are. I am sorry if I gave you the impression that you had to defend your opinion against mine. I’m just trying to shine some light on a curios phenomenon about cigarettes, which, however ironic and provocative it may be (in regards to its less healthier nature) - pleases me more with coffee than snuff does. I’m trying to bring some reality and honesty to the equation which is not blinded by the fact that we are talking about this in a snuff forum. For the record - I do love taking my snuff taking with coffee, a lot, and I am glad I’m not filling my apartment with smoke from cigarettes which have depleted my wallet any more. Snuff with coffee, yes, it is a finer and healthier coupling and yes it is very nice.

I don’t think there is any science behind your experience that smoking cigs while drinking coffee results in a “clenching battle between the calming nicotine and the stimulating coffee is truly a coctail for the stars”. Nicotine and caffeine are both stimulants. As was the topic of this thread, nicotine allows you to consume more caffeine by speeding up the metabolism of caffeine, but both cause an increase in heart rate and speed your system up. Nicotine’s relaxing, pleasurable effects are due to it stimulating the release of serotonin, dopamine, and β-endorphin in the brain. Since this the Snuff House, I feel entirely justified in stating unequivocally that snuff pwns cigs, with or without coffee. :wink:

Yes, I agree with everything you wrote. I just wanted to reply to the above quoted paragraph that for whatever reason, however you may describe it scientifically and add to the fact that nicotine is still nicotine however you intake it - I still feel cigarettes to be more calming with coffee than snuff. Maybe it’s the added chemicals, maybe it is the way the body absorbs the nicotine in the form of smoke. Whatever it is, for some reason cigarettes are more calming than snuff for me and snuff more stimulating (though it does deliver a sense of satisfaction which is calming in itself, but it doesn’t exceed that “*sigh*-satisfaction” like cigarettes do). I am actually driven to ‘vocalize’ this to the extent that I am because I’m curious to see if it’s just me or if others experience the difference the same way I do. I mean, it’s a curious phenomenon. And to the bottom quoted sentence I would like to say you should feel justified stating your opinion and experience no matter where you are. I am sorry if I gave you the impression that you had to defend your opinion against mine. I’m just trying to shine some light on a curios phenomenon about cigarettes, which, however ironic and provocative it may be (in regards to its less healthier nature) - pleases me more with coffee than snuff does. I’m trying to bring some reality and honesty to the equation which is not blinded by the fact that we are talking about this in a snuff forum. For the record - I do love taking my snuff taking with coffee, a lot, and I am glad I’m not filling my apartment with smoke from cigarettes which have depleted my wallet any more. Snuff with coffee, yes, it is a finer and healthier coupling and yes it is very nice.

Were/are you a long-time cigarette smoker before trying snuff? If so I would posit that your body learned to associate the behaviors and sensations of cigarette smoking with the physical pleasurable response for which the nicotine served as an agonist in the brain (i.e. the release of dopamine). Your brain learned to associate the inhaling of cigarette smoke into your lungs with pleasure. It’s habit-forming. That’s one of the big reasons smokers have big trouble quitting smoking even if they are still getting nicotine from some other source (snuff, snus, gum, patch, etc.). After growing used to smoking for so long, their bodies associate the habit itself with pleasure. For me as a snuff addict, I derive pleasure from the habit of snuff-taking. As I mentioned, I got addicted to snuff while in Europe, where it was sold cheaply at the local tabaccherie. When I returned to the states, I had only a small supply of snuff left, and no stores around here sold nasal snuff. When my snuff supplies dwindled I began to panic about nicotine withdrawals. Now I would never pay $13 for a pack of cigs here in NY, but as a souvenir from a trip to Moscow, Russia, I brought back a 20-pack box of Russkiy Stil cigarettes, a Russian brand of cigarettes, was 70 rubles, about $1.97 USD. So when I had sniffed my last pinch of snuff, desperately trying to get the dust layer out of the bottom of my snuff tins into my nose, I went to bed. Of course the next day when I didn’t get my morning pinch I began to feel withdrawals. Nicotine WDs are of course very unpleasant. I made it through one day fine. Then the next day I began really craving a pinch of snuff, the WDs hit me, and I began feeling very anxious and depressed, it was hard to function. Then I remembered that pack of cigs I had brought home from Russia. I intended to keep them wrapped as a souvenir, but in that desperate state I thought maybe they would satisfy my craving. I smoked a cigarette, I felt the nicotine enter my body, yet my body was still desperately craving a pinch of snuff. I smoked about half the pack over a few day period, but I didn’t enjoy the sensation of smoking, and it wasn’t making me happy even though I was getting the nicotine. So with 10 cigs still left in the pack, I just quit nicotine cold turkey. I later tried cans of dip, they satisfied my nicotine craving, but gave me dirty black teeth and gingivitis and still weren’t making me happy, so I quit again. Because my body had developed an association between the habit of nasal snuff-taking and the chemical pleasure of the nicotine. So I think your body is just naturally going to prefer whichever method of nicotine consumption you first became addicted to. If you smoked cigs for decades, it would be very difficult if not impossible to re-train your body to prefer snuff over cig smoking, your body will always associate the smoking habit with pleasure.

@DivinusSalviarum Yes. That’s a valid observation. Here’s the thing, even though cigarettes were what I started out with (and sure, I generated an addiction to them) for a couple of years, it was snus which i transitioned to at one point in my life which really became my big vice for most years of my life. And they say a regular portion of snus is usually more or less 8 times stronger than you’re average cigarette - in a slower longer lasting fashion. But the interesting thing is that every time I drank coffee (or even alcohol actually), snus didn’t satisfy the same way a cigarette would, even when snus was preferable without coffee (or alcohol). It’s actually a well known thing, here where we have a snus culture, that when drinking, everybody (whether you are a smoker or a snuser) turns to cigarettes. We have a saying here which goes something like, “snus doesn’t rip the same way”, meaning they don’t pack the same immediate punch… which the body seems to specifically call for with coffee or alcohol. So I don’t think it has so much to do with your original addiction as much as how the nicotine is delivered, released and absorbed in general. And coffee changing the equation of what is preferable to the body. Here is an even more interesting thing. It was tough for me to quit snus a couple of months ago, but snuff made it bearable. Now I’m 100% on snuff. It is much weaker than snus or cigarettes… but when I had an experimental pause from snuff a few weeks ago - for a week - I used snus again, and during that time I felt a sensation in my body missing the snuff. I guess because my body had learned that snuff delivers the nicotine more immediately. I think I can distill these experiences down to this theory: you’re body will always prefer the most immediate form of satisfaction, and introducing other compounds such as caffeine or alcohol - greatly enhances this need. I still don’t know why I find cigarettes calming though… and snus calming… but not snuff. With a cigarette I lay back observing the world in a more reflected mode, snus lays me back like a sack of potatoes on heroin… but snuff keeps stimulated like adderall. It’s curious…

cigarettes being calming- youre talking deep breaths. try it after snuffing, see if it helps. @mario84

Lol, nah… seriously though? Am I the only one who gets these differences? You didn’t smoke cigarettes, @Firestarter0 ?

i did. and i find deep breathing or playing with the smoke helps, though i didnt smoke for as long as most that do, being 20 now. i was smoking age 15, stopped in the past couple of years. im wondering if the breathing works after snuffing, ill try later when ive stopped with the pipe haha. @mario84