A request for some suggestions -SG snuffs

Thank’s for the advice! It’s not that I dislike fruits but I think I know which to try, prob raspberry and/or mandarin. So the Celtic Talisman has a fake sort of scent then? Hmm… Also I should try some of the menthol/medicateds, I’ve had some in the tap boxes, so I’m going to forget the experience with those. Maybe a moderate to heavy amount of menthol, with no more than a trace of camphor, thinking maybe Sam’s Own or B Menthol, Menthol Black perhaps? I already have a couple of the Dr. Verey’s in my cart- I think they were the DrV’s plus and full…

Some of my favorites with distinctive scents are Bouquet, Princes Gold, Cob Dark, DR. Verey’s Full. Plainish but very tasty and unique: Yellow Crest, Blue Crest.

My favorite SGs at the moment: Sam’s Own - A really beautiful menthol. There’s an herbal taste to it that’s top-notch. KB Original - Just came around to this one today. Used to make me runny and give me a bit of a headache. Now I can’t get enough of it. Been snuffing it all day. Their website says it has a mild citrus flavor. If so, it’s very mild. I get dark, rich tobacco. Blue Crest - A plain SP. Coarser grind than SPs from other british manufacturers. Very easy to take.

Thank’s guys! The cob dark and Dr Verey’s full are on my list and now confirmed I reckon. I wonder which of the other 2 Dr’s are better. I’ve had 2 of the three in tap boxes and even then they had a nice scent so I must follow up on them. I think I’ll get the Sam’s Own (also had in a tap box). I just don’t want anything musky or that reminds me of F&T Bordeaux or Macouba (although I think I like some other brands Macouba/Maccoboys), or anything musky. The Bouquet intrigues me for some reason. Are you referring to the scented Crest’s? Also thinking about the Grousemoor.

For scented but not fruit I would take Elmo’s Reserve (Vanilla Tonquin), for an SP the No. 1 High Mill. Both are beautiful in my opinion.

@Mr_O No I actually haven’t tried the scented versions of the Crests. However, the plain versions have some distinct and pleasing flavor.

Thank’s for all the info people! It’ll take a while to try 'em all!

Didn’t see it mentioned … would highly recommend SG Irish D Light. Great toast along the lines of F&T HDT or Wilsons 22.

If you are thinking about the Grousemoor then go for it. I still can’t quite figure out what the flavourings are but they combine nicely into a very pleasant wet countryside smell if that makes any sense. It is dark and fairly coarse and moist so I find it quite easy to take. It has a slight burn and a reasonable does of nicotine. I seem to find myself drawn to it most days

snuffbrand- I’ve been considering it, I do like the F&T and the WoS offerings, but since I have more than a few toasts in my cart (which is getting pretty expensive) it’ll be a hard call. . Maybe I should go for that instead of the Dholakia Super Strong Toast? I have heard the Dholakia ones are kinda weak in the flavor department, but super-strength potency appeals. chris- yeah, I’m still tempted. I do seem to like dark snuffs pretty often. Would it be better than the Bouquet or Cob Dark I wonder. so many decisions- life is hard! :slight_smile:

@Mr_O — this is just my opinion … but … NONE of the Dholakia toasts are toast, for one, and are, two, quite dusty and three, in general terrible — once again, just my opinion. I have tried them all and was sadly disappointed.

Kb original , Scotch Black,Princes dark,richt kind,celtic talisman,elmos reserve,cola.plum ,menthol black,golden glow. All moist and satisfying

Thank’s guys! I’ll take that all into consideration. Maybe I will take the D. Toast off the list. Prob about 15 days till I can place my order, time to think about it. Somebody said the golden glow is sandalwoody, is that true? I like sandalwood. Scotch black sounds good too. Does the Prince’s have any musk to it? Is the menthol black pretty menthol-ey or maybe close to the peppermint dark(which I love)? If the plum has a pretty strong scent I might like it, though I’m leaning towards mandarin, cherry or raspberry. Sorry to bombard with questions…but I really appreciate you guy’s advice!

Princes has no musk, as far as I recall. I would avoid SG’s fruit snuffs. Most are very artificial smelling.

I really like Wild Duck and Grousemoor

Xander- good, I’ll leave it on the eventual purchase list if not in this order. I kind of thought to maybe just try one of the fruits in a tin (I had raspberry in a tap-box, and thought it was OK). I guess they’ll be in a maybe/maybe not list. Thinking of Celtic Talisman as a possibility still. cakeanddottle- it’s good have those recommended, I’ve been compelled to get both of them. I emailed Sam Gawith last night, asking about strongly scented peppermints and another question or two, some of you may want to see this: “For a dark, coarse and well flavoured Peppermint snuff then we would recommend our Mastiff. Cob Dark is based on KB (Kendal Brown) which is coarse and moister than others and a flavour which is medium strength scent and medium sweet. The scent on Grousemoor is the same but the snuff is a blend of KB and SP thus giving a slightly lighter, in colour and weight, snuff. The flavour on GM snuff is not the flavour of GM tobacco. There is no Sandalwood in Golden Glow. The flavour is basically a menthol with Patchouli, Sweet Birch and one or two others inc Violet” My list at the moment (for the SG part of my order): Black Coffee Cob Dark Dr Verey’s Full (I’ve had both of these doc’s in tap-boxes) Dr Verey’s Plus KB Original (a re-order) Sam’s Own (had in a tap-box) Bouquet SP Scotch Celtic Talisman(or maybe Elmo’s) Mastiff

It should be stated that while the Celtic Talisman has fruit in it (Cherry,) it shouldn’t be considered a fruit snuff but more in the category of dessert. The flavoring is cherry vanilla and personally I find it very close to a Red Velvet cake. It does tend to carry a sharp initial burn in scent, when first opened and in nose feel. This quickly dissipates and the snuff itself becomes much smoother and round. If a highly scented dessert snuff is what you’re after, I would highly recommend this.

It does sound kinda tasty right about now. I think it’ll be that or: cherry, raspberry, Elmo’s, Ma’s Ruin, Vanilla, Chocolate, Mandarin, Plum, CCC…something different (fruit, dessert or whatever) than the ones more written in stone for my order, and from what I have at home: X blend, KB original, and KB Special, and some tap boxes (which maybe don’t count, and may be given away when I find a taker somewhere). The grousemoor may be too similar to the cob dark, so I might pass on that this time around. Oh, yeah, I’ve added golden glow to the main list above. This’ll be fun (a teeny bit of a diabolical laugh-moohaha) :slight_smile: I do one or two Mr. Snuff orders a year, gonna go big…

@Mr_O wow, they were very forthcoming, and thanks for sharing that info. I wrote to them a few times, and never got much back. I still don’t know what CCC stands for… Anyway, looks like a good selection you have.

I havent seen Golden Glow mentioned yet. Very distinct and original. I’ve got a few tins. Nice burn to it as well. The scent lasts for hours. I often smell it the next morning, it’s that lingering.