Snuff and life insurance

Hi there, my first post on the forum. Been a snuff user for 4 years now. I have a question regarding taking out life insurance and using snuff. I am married and have young children and am looking at taking out a policy. One of the questions they ask on the life insurance websites is… “Have you smoked or used nicotine products in the last 12 months? If you have smoked or used any tobacco products (includes cigars, a pipe, cigarettes and nicotine replacement products) in the last 12 months then you are classed as a smoker. If you give up smoking, once you have been tobacco free for 12 months you will be entitled to non smoker premiums”. This seems a bit bizarre to me. I’m just wondering where we as snuff takers stand regarding this question. Do we have to tick “Yes”? Obviously snuff is a nicotine product but why should we be classed as smokers for life insurance purposes? Any help very much appreciated.

Tick No, as even the coroner unlikely to look up your nose in the advent of your death. If they do a blood test you might be in trouble though. Actually on second thoughts I’d ask but i’m sure they will just tell you to tick yes so they can charge you more. Life is too short for life insurance IMO.

Life is too short for life insurance IMO

that is great

Most of them will blood test you. One option is to stay tobacco free for 30 days. I think it clears your system in that period of time.

Or hair test you or saliva test. They probably will. What might be best is to find another company some actualy incourage snuff use.

And think about it from their perspective. How many cig smokers would use patches or snuff while getting ready for the insurance but then start cigs again when on insurance. See if you’re a greedy bastard you would have already thoght of that.

Insurance companys have a licence to rape the tobacco user. Every one dies You have the same chance of anyone to be killed, murdered, hospitals trying to save you and old age, as a non tobacco user. Even with the availible cigarette data only 8% of smokers die from cancer. Cell phones will cause more cancer then tobacco ever had. Smart meters the electric company installed on your homes will also cause cancer.The food industry and the auto pollution from big oil and don’t forget about pharmaceuticals keeping you sick enough to live. Oh now I need to smoke my pipe to calm down. Insuance companys do a blood test. So don’t get caught in a lie

yeah and if you get caught in a lie after the fact that isn’t good. Some insurance companies are more snuff tolerante then others. Rating the snuff friendiliness of insurance companies sounds like a job for the I.S.T.A…

I had a distant relative that smoked very rarely but after he died the insurance company refused to pay because they said he lied on his application

I just signed a new policy and it asked if i smoked tobacco or used oral tobacco, conveniently left out putting it up my nose and i would assume nicotine patches.

This is the problem - if you use any form of tobacco you are automatically lumped in with cigarette smokers. There is never any chance to specify the form of tobacco that you use. All the scientific evidence suggests that snuff involves no risk whatsoever. I seem to recall a Surgeon General’s report form the USA that suggested that pipe smokers actually lived slightly longer than non-smokers. If I can remember where I put the link I will post it up here. In the meantime @Roderick is absolutely correct - if the weasels can find a way to not pay out then they will. So you need to declare your tobacco usage but speak to them and find out if they regard snuff in the same risk category as cigarettes. And if they say you are in a different category because you are using snuff then make sure that you get that from them in writing.

Buy some silver instead. You kids will thank you for it in twenty years.

Doesn’t matter since the world is ending in December heheehehehehe 8-}

@Scurvy Shucks I almost forgot about that, thanks for reminding me. =P~

I would still tick “no”. My parents started a life insurance policy for me when I was 18. I smoked then, but they didn’t know. I smoked regularly for many years but now very rarely. No one urine tested me for it. To this day I pay my premiums and I’m still a non smoker/non tobacco user (on paper). Oh that reminds me, my premium is due today!

Roderick is there any other web source for this so I can share the info with Philastines.

ah sounds great. I was hopeing to have a good source for sharing with the unenlightened