Favorite Military Themed Movie?

The expendable 2 it has all the tuff guys not a war movie but lots of gun play. Special opps team for hire. Jean-Claude Van Damme plays the bad guy. Here is a link to watch . http://www.solarmovie.eu/watch-the-expendables-2-2012.html

@snuffbrant The book that Full Metal Jacket was based on, Gustav Hasford’s “The Short Timers”, makes that movie look like Mickey Mouse shit.

three kings then again I don’t really like military movies that much. :o

@TomStrasbourg … I had heard that … bout time I sought that book out. Thanks.

Hands down Apocalypse Now. Great movie all around. But there so many excellent ones out there though, usually will watch The Longest Day at least once a year.

@snuffbrant it’t out of print. I had to read it on the author’s website, but since that is no longer operating there is now a petition to the copyright holder to get that book and it’s even crazier sequel back in print. I signed it and I hope everyone who has ever read a good war book or wants to read the book Full Metal Jacket was based on will sign it too. http://www.petitiononline.com/gustavha/petition.html

Awesome posts everyone! Thanks for playing. Now I’m in search of a used copy of “The Short Timers”.

They are available but at a price: http://www.amazon.com/Short-timers-Gustav-Hasford/dp/0712608354/ref=sr\_1\_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1348455533&sr=1-1&keywords=the+short+timers

All of yours are great movies, some of them master pieces, two more great films are Black hawk down and Paths of glory. If I have to get only one will be Full metal jacket !

Where Eagles Dare Based on a great novel, Clint Eastwood as a WWII commando, the lovely Mary Ure, and Richard Burton as a bad-ass Brit. Explosions. gondola rides, deception, and nonstop gunfights. Can’t go wrong!

Beau Geste (life in the French Foreign Legion and the mystery at Fort Zinderneuf) though I must say that the book was better than any movie rendition of the story. Actually a trilogy by P.C. Wren: Beau Geste, Beau Sabruer and Beau Ideal.

Lawrence of Arabia

Platoon hands down

Here are a few films : Bosnian civil war ----------------------- Pretty village pretty flame No man’s land WWII -------- Come and See Enemy at the Gates Downfall Soviet occupation of Afghanistan -–------------------------------------------ 7th Company

I would say “Saving Private Ryan” as one of my all time favorites. Then again, “Red Dawn” was pretty great, if not for being pretty awful.

@PotPoe Oh I forgot about Red Dawn. I have probably watched that movie a hundred times. A classic.

Yeah, and a remake is in the works. I think its North Koreans after us this time.

Saving Private Ryan, The Hurt Locker, Inglourious Basterds… I recently watched 3:10 to Yuma and I really enjoyed. There’s a scene where a guy shakes his snuffbox and takes a pinch… And has a Brazilian movie with very good military themed: Elite Squad. Is not my favorite, but Worth watching. :slight_smile:

Down Periscope, only because it may be the perfect representation of life in the Navy

Down Periscope, only because it may be the perfect representation of life in the Navy

really?