Cooking a Scotch into a Rappee

Moved to “General” as requested.

I would think that using a scotch for a base tobacco would preclude any need for the addition of salt.

the salt would be needed inhibit fungal growth after moistening the snuff, right?

Usually, but it is all ready there in the scotch. 131 may not be enough to cook the little buggers, but a brief blast to 160 ought to do it! Spin in the microwave.

They make thermostatic plug in controllers for that too. Juxt, you want to try some of the Dark Air cured? I have a bunch and a good slug of powder would fit into one of those USPS $5 boxes.

Thanks @Whalen I already have a few pounds of dark air cured. I don’t know what I was thinking adding salt the first time. The end result of the first batch was not bad at all except for having too much salt it was a black rappee that was very similar to an unscented Maccoboy. I don’t recall the temperature (I will look it up) I think it was five days for the first batch. This batch spent all night at 140f. I’ll try to bring it down a little.

The ingenuity of snuffers continues to amaze. . .

Juxt - I have every reason to think that you will end up with a nice dark snuff. I hand selected some red burley tips and after some salty moisture, placed it on top of a brick transformer for my router. Temps were maintained at 140 by that little wattage vampire! Probably go 160 with a little insulation, I made the Spanish folly this way and it came out nice.

I took the lid off yesterday to start letting it dry out. It has already turned from a thin soup to a thick paste. I’m a little concerned that the temperature may be a little low to effect the change I want so after a few tests I may give it a couple more days. Note; temperature with lid on is much higher than with lid off.

I let a little dry out to compare colors and scents. It is a shade more brown and the scent is slightly deeper. I have decided to go for a little more. I am planning on taking half of it for brown when its ready then blackening the rest. Next time I’ll cook it at around 75c or 167f which is the higher end of the recommended cooking temperatures for this procedure.

Some pics…

Man I love me some mad science Juxt! Turn the flux capacitor up just a tad!

Ok I have achieved the brown that I wanted. The temperatures were over 150f at times reaching 170f for the last two days. I’m going to take some out then blacken the rest. These color pictures are of the snuff as dry however I won’t be using it this way. I will be keeping it at least at sixty percent humidity for use which will give it a much darker appearance.

I will need to sample some of each to reach an opinion .

The Levi Brown is still just a little moist. The Levi Black is like a wet sponge and it actually is a tiny bit springy like a sponge.

I’ve been away for a bit. The few ounces of Levi Brown is a little moldy and will get tossed. The Levi Black got reground to take out the clumps and is in good condition. Not a bad procedure all things considered. This certainly would be a great way to add casings to a plain Scotch.

That Levi Black looks awesome.

@SnuffSniffer It sure does, unfortunately that is a picture of it sopping wet. It’s true color is in the picture above it. The one on the right. For a true black, higher heat will need to be used.

@Juxtaposer, sorry for the loss of the brown, have you figured out why it molded but the black did not,… too wet?

The brown was just a small amount that I pulled out for testing. My best guess as to why it grew mold is that the container was not clean. I know it was not clean anyhow because I did not intend on having such a small amount for very long.