Regarding Lead

lead filled snow shoe I said peek- a-boo

@Cros and @Geraldo the knowledgable entries are much appreciated.

My ignorant contribution- I recall reading/hearing the Romans used lead oxide as a flavor inhancer, put on food and such. Anyone else hear of this? I realize “Romans” is a broad catagorie.

I remember reading one line somewhere to the effect that they used lead to sweeten wine. But their society lasted circa a thousand years and was spread over Europe and Africa. Saying the Romans did a certain thing is so wide as to be fairly meaningless, as you suggest.

@basement_shaman Good old Zappa. “Watch out where the huskies go and don’t you eat that yellow snow!”

http://io9.com/5877587/the-first-artificial-sweetener-poisoned-lots-of-romans

well lead based make-up was popular for a long while. Lead based paints for artists used to be popular too.

I think the only lead lined boxes were the original Laurencekirk ones with lead paper lining, so we are safe.

Lead causes drain bamage no it’s brain damage. Any way lead is bad mkay . But then again lead is good,it protect you from dangerous radiation. eggs are bad no eggs are good. Live a healthy lifestyle, eat healthy foods and exercise regularly then die anyway. No one get out alive, Don’t worry be happy and have that candy bar or icecream or chocolate cake. And enjoy tobacco products made exclusively for your pleasure.

ok, so all i was trying to point out was that bottles from third world countries could contain lead. I think all experts would agree that one should try to minimize consumption of lead when possible

While lead is a concern, cadmium is also an issue with tobacco products, especially when smoked.

@Cros an indepth disscussion is what were about. No stone left unturned, thirst for knowledge, quest for inner peace, etc., etc. But ya, lead is bad. Cadmium also.

Yes, @Cros and thank you for bringing it up.

It was good to find out about how the lead gets into the tobacco plant in big tobacco farms, gives me another reason to grow my own

@cros Growing is easy. From harvest to grinding are the phases I don’t understand. I think you need a lot of tobacco to make it work, and a good sized facility.

@Xander have to agree, thats why i let those farmers take my money, its worth it…for now

Having unfortunately been a victim of ‘lead overdose’ working with old paint, I can say that it is nothing to sneeze at. NO FUN… with lots of long term ramifications. BUT I agree with @basement_shaman that we need to go into life with our eyes open and live life to its fullest. Why live under a rock? you would just get squished!

almost as bad but not quite so bad as lead poisoning is led poisoning.

Is that from having flash-backs of Led Zeppelin played too loud in the frat house next door back in the 60’s?

or just from the fact that they still play it on the radio a lot.